Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns on Homophobic Bullying

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chilipie, Oct 15, 2010.

1. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

http://tv.gawker.com/5663083/this-is-the-most-touching-it-gets-better-video-you-will-ever-see

I was surprised this hadn't appeared on here already actually… I don't have much to say about it other than I've ever been so moved by something said by a politician. Really quite a tear-jerker, but everyone should watch it.

2. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Chilli,
    I've just done watching the video, and that'd have to be a well spent 13 minutes and I'd recommend it to all PRSI readers. I don't post too often nowadays but that story is the same the world over even here in NZ. It doesn't matter if you're Gay or Straight, this vid can bring a tear to anyones eye. It did with me, and for the record, I'm Gay.

KGB

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Councilman stands up against the homophobia rampant in our schools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4

I won't lie. I lost a few tears because of that video. :(

It's quite sick the state our society is in, killing all these young people because some of us can't stand the thought another person might be attracted to a person of the same sex.

It's such a person attack on someone, I feel it should be a special case in the law. Tougher consequences on the children and parents responsible for the bullying. Tougher consequences on schools that let it go on for years of it being reported.

How many more young lives do we have to lose before we learn?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Yes!! he's from Texas!! Finally a non douchebag TX politician :D:rolleyes:

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

First person I thought of was you Lee. :D
    What an incredibly brave individual. It's too bad his words will be ignored by those that need them the most.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Thought I would be fine, but the part where he talks about being with his dad in the hospital was too much. I can't imagine hoping my father would accept me if I was gay.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You don't want to know what that feels like.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That was incredible.

In 1980, I remember the only remotely positive gay image in the media that year was Aaron Fricke. Reading about him gave me hope that maybe someday things would get better. It's taken a long time and it certainly hasn't gone as quickly or painlessly as i thought it would.

As long as people like them continue to stand up and tell their stories, there is hope that the gay kids of tomorrow won't every have to deal with persecution and thinking the only way out is to kill themselves.

thank you Mr. Burns!

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right -- I cried. You happy now? :eek:

My god, that was excellent.

For me it was made all the more poignant by the fact that I've shot and/or directed dozens and dozens of council meetings just like the one in the video. I feel not like I've just watched it on the internet, but like I could've been there that night. I know what it's like to talk to these guys and joke around with them before and after a meeting.

And if I had the chance to talk to that guy, I'd tell him that was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow. Just wow. I teared up and that doesn't happen much. Bravo Mr. Burns.

12. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

No matter how many times I see this video, I cry.

It reminds me of some of the young men I counseled in SF during the AIDS epidemic. Many wouldn't get tested or even treated once they tested positive. They would rather die than be outed by a disease. It was heart breaking.

My neighbor had full blow AIDS and locked himself in his apartment. He was afraid of his family finding out he was gay. Many tried to help. One day we smelt something rotten and realized he had finally died. So ********** messed up.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

And yet we have to put up with people running for one of our highest public offices, that of a Senator, saying they believe sexuality is a choice. :mad:

That people CHOOSE to grow through this tremendous pain.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But you fail to understand that these people have the Divine right to rule.

They don't have time for these "inconsistencies" in Nature.