Fort Worth Cops Hospitalize Gay Bar Patron During Stonewall Anniversary Raid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gelfin, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Fort Worth Police Chief: That ****** Had It Coming by Dan Savage

This apparently has not been making the news. On Sunday Fort Worth cops conducted an unusually aggressive raid against the Rainbow Lounge in Fort Worth, TX. In the process they beat a young man nearly to death, leaving him still comatose in ICU with a blood clot on the brain from which he might not recover.

The Fort Worth Chief of Police is invoking Gay Panic as the defense for the officers' battery of patrons. He claims the patrons made sexual advances on his officers which, even in the unlikely event someone was that stupid, apparently he believes warrants a response that may yet prove lethal.

To editorialize, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that this started out as an attempt by homophobic cops to "send a message" on the Stonewall anniversary. Contact information for Fort Worth city officials can be found in one of the updates. If this gets enough exposure, maybe the Fort Worth police will receive one instead.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Are there any more sources for this? This is terrifying, but I can't say I'm surprised. :(

3. Gelfin thread starter macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There are further links to a few local sources in the article.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oops- got it. Man, this is awful. The cops barely even tried to justify what they did. Gay men groping cops? In Texas???!!! Are you kidding me? I'm sorry- that didn't happen.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Texas police seem to have quite a few problems when it comes to the treatment of fellow Texans.

Then again, maybe the real problem is that non-whites and queers simply aren't Texans by the standards of these outstanding officers of the law.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That's really nuts. Not fair to say the least...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...funny how none of our conservatives have jumped in here to cheer on the cops. Maybe they are finally starting to understand. Hey- I can hope, can't I?

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Gay Panic?

WTF kind of an excuse is that? :confused:

Jeeezus this makes me so angry.

This world… always one step forward and then 2 steps right back.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That very defense is why we have hate crimes laws. Many people argue against them, and this BS defense is why we need them in the first place. "Gay Panic" has actually let people get away with murder in the past. So some people don't want people penalized for "what they are thinking", but those same people want to use "what they were thinking" as a defense.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'm speechless.
    So next time I get accosted by a drunken hen party in the early hours I can beat one to death and plead… I dunno… Straight Panic?

This world is f**ked up.
    Seriously these "officers of the law" should be strung up by their nuts.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They should be, but they won't. It's Texas. Sometimes I think it might as well be Iran. I doubt anything but a slap on the wrist happens to these cops. I'd bet money on it.

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

I've said it before and I will say it again, when I see things like this I really believe that humanity is far far overrated.

Is there anyone around who doesn't like gays who can explain this for me? I just don't get the kind of hatred that would lead someone to do this.

13. Queso macrumors G4

So on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots the Texas police "just happen" to raid a gay bar, and one of the patrons "just happens" to get the **** kicked out of him for being there.

If this man dies the officers responsible should be charged with premeditated murder, and hopefully under Texas laws end up tied to electrodes with their eyeballs smoking.

This young man being in hospital was the intended outcome of this operation. It was designed to put "them faggots" back in their place. Don't for one second believe otherwise.

14. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

That's pretty sad, but that would be better to have some background stories on this first. I found it hard to believe this came out of nowhere...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you're right, except for one thing- nothing will happen to these cops except maybe a slap on the wrist. Don't for one second believe otherwise.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe not in your part of the country, but here in North Texas it's causing quite a stir.

Your comment reminds me of a common misconception that many non-Texans seem to have, at least several whom I have met.

Many people say "Dallas-Fort Worth" like it's one big place, and to a certain extent, it is. But beyond that, the two cities couldn't be more different. Dallas is a very cosmopolitan, modern-thinking city of about a million people. It was built on oil, but now runs on telecom, technology, and general big-business. Fort Worth was, and still is, the quintessential Cowtown of North Texas. There are more good ol' boys, rednecks, etc. on that side than there are in Dallas.

I've lived in both cities and I love them both, but for completely different reasons. They both have their charms. But for this to have happened in Fort Worth surprises me much, much less than to have heard about it happening in Dallas.

Believe me, there are plenty of people in and around Dallas who aren't going to let these cops have a free pass, at least not in the court of public opinion. Dallas has a robust gay community that is more or less embraced in the area; I don't remember the same being true of Fort Worth.

Oh come on, conservatives may be supporters of police, but to condone stuff like this? That's not conservative, that's unreasonable.

Even if some of the bar patrons made "advances" at the cops - jeebus, isn't that half the reason someone even goes to a bar in the first place? I'm not at all convinced any "groping" took place, at least not in any kind of hostile or threatening manner. If the cops were being groped by hot women, nothing like this would have gone down.

This is a case of flat-out homophobia. The cops were way, way wrong.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then where are our conservative posters? This thread has been up for days and not one word from any of them. If you don't think they're silently celebrating, I've got some nice property in Florida for sale real cheap.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not a fan of hate crime laws, but I also find "gay panic" to be a load of hogwash.

This situation is disgusting. If a cop can't control himself in those situations, he has no business wearing a badge.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

*looks around* Am I really the only one who replied?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You are- and I'm not surprised. :(

21. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Wow lee thanks for the conservative stereo type grouping.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well jeez, funny that they stay away from a gay victim thread, but I'm sure it just happens to be a coincidence. :rolleyes:

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, police brutality is always wrong. And while I'm not the conservative that Lee was hoping for (quite the opposite). iThink the story is slightly overblown... Bad timing for the Ft. Worth police, but I doubt that they had any clue it was the anniversary of the Stonewall Raids. If the police had gone into a bar that was frequented by all sorts of people and there were a couple of people that sustained injuries because they were possibly drunk, the story would not be getting any attention. I just have a hard time believe that everyone was cooperating at that hour of the morning. And when they weren't cooperating, the Ft. Worth police probably then started the police brutality and things that were not so good, but to say that the Paddywagon was unnecessary seems a little odd, since that is pretty standard protocol.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What justification was there for raiding a gay bar in the first place?

I don't hear much about raids on bars, ever.