Fortnightly Challenge Aug. 8-21 -Topic - Your Favorite Vacation Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Fortnightly Challenge -- August 8 thru Aug 21 -- Topic: On Vacation

John is moving and I will be in charge of the next two Challenges. So that we maintain continuity, I have selected the next topic. The Topic thread will begin on time for the next round.

Post your favorite vacation photos. They may be out of the usual time frame.

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM August 21

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
    1. Photos should be your own work.
    2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
    3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
    4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
    1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up during the week prior to the new challenge.

Lets have fun!!!

Designer Dale (Dale) for JohnMc (John)

2. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Well this was a bit depressing when I realized how long it has been since we took a "real" vacation. I may go deep in the archives but for now I'll post some shots from our trips around D.C. since they are more current.

This fellow was from the surprisingly small aquarium in D.C.

BTW, is anyone else having trouble inserting an image from Flickr? Flickr seems to have made some changes on it's site and I can't get the insert image to work like it used to. I go to share this and copy the link but it's not posting on the forum:confused:

[​IMG]

Edit: Thanks Phil for clueing me in on Flickr. That's pretty much just as easy as it was before. I'm not a big Flickr user. I just throw pics up I want to link to or have displayed on the Apple TV screensaver. I guess I'll take a closer look at it now.

3. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I'm having to click on 'get the html' and the find the img src link, and paste that.

Yeah, they stopped making it easy for us. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out where to get photo stats & view additional information :\

4. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Yeah - I'm the person who went to Epcot Center and took pictures of flowers and butterflies (the same things I take pictures of when I'm NOT on vacation).

[​IMG]

Okay, I took pictures of other things, but most of them really didn't turn out, and nothing really screams "vacation."

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Flickr still works--- with one minor change

Actually, it's still pretty easy to do exactly the same thing as before on Flickr. When on the photo page on Flickr, click on the Actions tab on the top left. Then choose "view all sizes" to see that page. Click on the size you want to display here. When the correct size picture displays in Flickr, right-click on the picture (at least it works in Safari) and "copy image address." In Firefox it's "copy image location." That will be the same as the missing image link that used to show up below the picture
    Then just do the same code as before to display the image here.

Flickr did away with the obvious image/file address displayed below the pictures because lots of people don't link back to Flickr. (their explanation here...) The current html code they provide for linking/embedding pictures don't work on BBcode for forums, and they say they're working on a solution... but the code we have used here which does include the linkback still works just fine. You just have to get the image/file address by right clicking on the picture now. Everything else remains the same... it's working for me. :)

Also, the rest of the things you want to do are also found under the "actions" tab on the Photo page, including exif, etc. One cool thing about the new setup is that you can just click on the picture, and it will go into a "lightbox" setup, which is similar to a slideshow, and you can navigate between pictures by using your right and left arrows (which you can also do when on the photo page. Also, the "filmstrip" of pictures on the right is quicker to navigate through than before where it showed two pictures. Now it shows several, and you can click through them to get to the right one much faster... It takes a little getting used to, but it's a definite improvement and now almost as convenient and sensible as Picasaweb Albums.

6. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks for this explaination, Phil. I will see if I can get my Flickr pdf updated sometime next week. I'm busy, too, but not as much as John is.

I have posted off ImageShack because it is so easy to get the links, but their photo pages are worthless for galleries or photo sharing. I have a flickr Pro account, but it is in a shambles. I need to rebuild and reorganize it.

Thanks again,

Dale

7. CK Williams macrumors regular

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

June 2010 Family vacation, drove Michigan to NYC.
    Day 2 morning event:
    <click the images>

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Snap! Literally, great shot, very clear/sharp.

10. someoldguy macrumors 65816

One of the pix everyone takes when in SF , I'm there every year or so and seem to re-take it each time .

[​IMG]

5d2 , 24-105@50 , f11@1/400 , iso 400 , polarizer

11. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Can you straighten this picture? It's slightly leaning left.
    Did you add any PP to this? seems a little flat IMO.

12. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Sure!!! How stupid of me!!! , looked again at the picture and saw the street wasn't level . Went back to the original , little bit of work in PS and here ya go!
    MUCH BETTER!

[​IMG]

Actually , you were right , the buildings WERE rotated a bit to the left , I've got a re-cropped and rotated one in my OP now . As to the flatness , I don't know , the image hasn't been processed outside of cropping and rotation , maybe the polarizer I used to bring up the clouds did something?

13. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

[ timg] please?

14. someoldguy macrumors 65816

'notha tourist shot ...

[​IMG]

5d2 , 28-300 Tamron vc @ 135 , f10@1/400 , iso 400

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Bwca

[​IMG]

Self explanatory.

Not taken within the challenge period, but it was the last vacation I went on :D

16. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

17. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

From my visit to Kalamazoo, Michigan. The weather changed by the minute. My brother in law called it the "Lake Effect".

[​IMG]

Dale

18. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

You are from Ohio. You should know what lake effect precipitation is. It is precipitation that forms on the lee side of a lake as cooler air passes over the warmer lake water. While this can happen over any lake it is especially common on the Great Lakes. It is most significant in the winter.

19. mpr131 macrumors member

20. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Awesome! :)

A couple of mine... Two very different vacations... (NY and Maui)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. paulg macrumors member

weekend break in Greystoke, Cumbria

Attached Files:

22. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Newbie question: How did you get the sun to not over-expose your image and flare? (see my image below for example of over-exposed suns)

[​IMG]

23. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Nature's Sunset

From Marquette, Michigan:

[​IMG]

Super-Macro setting

24. Maxxamillian macrumors 6502

This one takes me back to when I started dabbling in photography. Taken with my first dSLR (Canon Rebel) in 2004 from a rocky beach in Cayman Brac:

[​IMG]

From the same trip: 70 feet (23m) down where the Captain Tibbets lies broken in half.

[​IMG]

One of the more memorable adventures I've had :)