Fortnightly Challenge February February 23 - March 7 : Background or Depth

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Viewpoint January 26 - February 8
      [*]Geometry February 9 - 22
    • Background or Depth February 23 - March 7
    • Cropping March 8 - 21

Use either Background or Depth. Combine them if you wish. These examples are from my archives.

Dale

Background
    [​IMG]

Depth
    [​IMG]

2. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I chose this photo because I like how the yellow birds stand out against the white snowy background. I only had one chance at this shot before they all flew away, and I'm a bit disappointed that you can't see their faces better.

[​IMG]
    Yellow Birds by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

3. Rich-212 macrumors member

Background and Depth

I like those birds above - it takes a while for them to 'pop out' from the background, but it does draw you in and make you keep on looking for more.

These 2 were both taken last weekend in Wales.

The rest of the set can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtpalmi/sets/72157629077222466/

I tried to rescue some of the detail in the sky from being too blown out, hopefully I've not overcooked it - C&C welcome

Attached Files:

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

For Depth-I made my first attempt at Focus stacking in this photo of some Indian carvings at the Arches National Park in Moab. In all honesty, I probably should have taken one or two more photos of the distant edge but what the hey, this was my first attempt at trying this! :)

[​IMG]

PS: I know this is used more for macro, but as I said I was trying the technique out for the first time

5. whodareswins macrumors regular

6. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Nice. sort of like this:
    Background-
    [​IMG]

Depth:

[​IMG]

8. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Yeah I drove cross country last summer and it was amazing how blue the skies were. Great photo...makes you want to move out there.

9. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

So it was a cold, overcast day in Bern when I was wondering around trying to find something to take photos of. For this photo, I tried to use overlapping to create some depth. Not a particularly wonderful photo, but I think there is some depth to it. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    Bern, Switzerland by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

10. KING ONE macrumors newbie

Nyc

The depth of NYC from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Still trying to learn the craft. Tips and critiques are always appreciated.

[​IMG][/url]
    View from B.B by KING_ONE, on Flickr[/IMG]

11. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

Trona Train

[​IMG]
    Trona Railroad abandoned train cars.

12. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I like the backlighting in the top photo, it makes it more interesting. That's a studio lighting or flash effect, isn't it?

The bottom on e of the bridge is from an interesting point of view. Sky with dense clouds can make for a difficult exposure. A little more texture in the sky without having the shadows go too dark would make it even better.

Good foreground to background depth in this photo, but what I said about the bridge shot applies here, too. The sky flattens it a bit because it's too washed out. More texture and feeling from the sky would really help it. Finding that balance between the right exposure for a sky like this can be difficult.

Nice panorama of the big city. It has a good feel for the massive expanse of NYC.

Dale

13. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

Thanks for the comments Dale. I need more practice.

14. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Background .....

[​IMG]

Does the absence of a background constitute one???

5D2 , 100/2.8 , f8@1/4 ,iso 200 , tripod , cable release

15. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Yes. The idea is to have the background serve as separation between then subject and background. This is a great example of that.

Dale

16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Someoldguy's picture reminded my of one I took on my recent trip to San Diego. I like his diagonal layout of the flower in the frame.
    [​IMG]

17. whodareswins macrumors regular

Yes I had several little LED lights of varying colours places behind me in the tunnel which didn't look like much from the eye but after the 30 second exposure they came out very nice I thought. Thanks for the comments.

18. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Oups, I read this thread yesterday and didn't notice it was over. But I did take this picture today for it...

[​IMG]