Fortnightly Challenge October 29-November 11: Rule of Thirds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• [*]Rule of Thirds October 29 - November 11
      [*]Black and White November 12 - 25
      [*]Balancing Elements November 26 - December 9

Dale

2. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Last of the Fall colors from Mt. Rainier. It would be better with a shallower DOF. The Aperture screenshot is included for comments on my hit or miss on the topic. No cropping in post.

[​IMG]

Dale

Attached Files:

3. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

Stunning, and subtle. My photo is far less subtle...

[​IMG]

4. Rich-212 macrumors member

Cakes

I don't have access to Dale's funky tool, but I hope the grid would justify inclusion of this photo in this thread!

Dale, I love the Autumnal colours in your picture - very seasonal! Melizard, I like the top of the dandylion, but it seems to me that the stalk is out of focus - hope you don't mind me saying so, it's all meant as constructive criticism!

This is one of my first attempts shooting in RAW - but I've not cropped or carried out any other PP.

Attached Files:

5. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Very nice. I like the cool colors and the great separation between the subject and the background. The curve in the stalk is a nice touch.

Thanks for the compliment. The "funky tool" is a screenshot of the crop tool in Aperture3. Not necessary, but it helped me see the placement of the subject.

Good photo for this topic. Your subject is well defined by the plane of focus. Nice warm color pallet, too.

Dale

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I agree with Dale. We have a very good start to this challenge. Love this one ^^^. Here's my contribution for today:

[​IMG]

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

8. Hankster, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I like the barn's red in contrast with the rest of the colors. Nice photo. My photo below.

Autumn
    [​IMG]

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Taken with my iPhone. I thought it looked pretty good and followed the rule of thirds. Taken just off of the Cherry Creek bicycle trail (I do 30 miles a day on it on the weekends and I have done approximately 1800 of my 2000 miles this year that I put on my bike on this trail).

[​IMG]

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Can I enter twice? Here's a picture that I took the same day. It's about a quarter mile off of the North Platte River Trail.

[​IMG]

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

[​IMG]

One of the few shots where I actually considered the rule of thirds while composing. Usually I just go for what looks nice, but this came out well anyway.

12. fcortese, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I love the coloring and layering in this photo. Very nicely done.
    Here's another on the leaf theme (not as nice was Han kster's-thanks for the kind words) :

[​IMG]

13. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I like the way that, though the colours are similar throughout the shot, you've got a good separation of the point of focus from the background. Nice.

This is a nice picture with isolated colours. The main focus is on one 'power point' and a secondary one, the sharpest part of the tree bark, on another. Good job!

This is one I took during the summer:

[​IMG]

14. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

[​IMG]
    Dana and Randy by Ravaroo, on Flickr

Wish I had allowed for a little more room for Dana's hand on the left but these two move so damn fast;)

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Wow, a very dynamic picture!

16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I can't seem to break away from the leaf theme. One last photo:

[​IMG]

17. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great dynamics here. I love the fluid motion around the frame.

-------------------------------------------

Another from Penn Cove on Whidbey Island here in Washington State.

[​IMG]

This topic has made me realize just how often I fail to pay attention to the basics notions of photography and design that I should use by instinct. Too often I shoot with focus in mind and crop to get the image I wanted in the first place. This is full frame.

Dale

18. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the nice comment. It means a lot to me as I have always enjoyed looking at your photos. I love this one.