Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Note from Doctor Q, to people reading this thread after the fact: At the time I started this thread, the MacRumors moderators were Mr. Anderson, eyelikeart, Rower_CPU, and Mudbug. Others who later served as moderators, including edesignuk and bousozoku, were not moderators then, and I wasn't in the moderator list either. The left side of this post (where the avatar appears) looked like this:
attachment.php
And now, on to my original post...

decorum:
n. Appropriateness of conduct or behavior; cooperative or polite actions within a group; propriety

In the interest of keeping the MacRumors Forums an enjoyable community for all members, I'd like to remind everyone of some of the rules.

* The primary purpose of the forums is to allow members to discuss Macintosh news and rumors. The rules are designed to support that purpose.

* Posts that purposely provoke an argument or taunt other members are not permitted and will be deleted.

* Posting when you have nothing to say (spamming) is a disservice to other members. Spam for the purpose of padding your post count is not permitted.

* It's easy to fool the profanity filter by using misspellings. Don't.

* Having an opinion contrary to someone else is fine. Using personal insults, character assassination, threats, or profanity will detract from the point you want to make and will likely get you banned from the forums.

* You may not discuss illegal use of software, places to obtain software illegally, or ways to defeat licensing systems.

* If you start a thread, give it a relevant title so that other members know the topic from the title. Titles such as "Look what I found" not only waste the time of other members when they are not interested in your topic, but they can prevent those who might have an interest from finding your thread. For the same reason, a title such as "Help!" wastes the time of members who can't help you and keeps members who can help you from knowing about it.

A couple of pet peeves of mine:

* If you are eligible for an avatar (members with 500 posts or more), please don't use one that's very similar to that of another member.

* Don't quote the entire text of a large previous post. Edit it down to the part you are replying to. If your post immediately follows the post you are replying to, you may not need to quote it at all.

I'm sure I could go on and on with suggestions, but that's enough for now.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Doctor Q

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mudbug said:
Thanks Doctor Q, but aren't these points already made in the FAQ?
Yes, but a reminder now and then never hurts. People probably look at the FAQ when they are new, and may not remember all the rules months later. Plus some of the recent violations bugged me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Doctor Q said:
decorum:
n. Appropriateness of conduct or behavior; cooperative or polite actions within a group; propriety

I'm sure I could go on and on with suggestions, but that's enough for now.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Doctor Q
There's more...
attachment.php

Run, hide ... he's got a license to kill.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
eyelikeart said:
hmm...why would violations bug u though?

I'm not following...
Dealing with them makes work for the moderators.

And I've gotten confused a few times when I glanced at a 'tar and thought it was someone, only to find that it was somebody else with a similar tar.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Doctor Q said:
Dealing with them makes work for the moderators.

And I've gotten confused a few times when I glanced at a 'tar and thought it was someone, only to find that it was somebody else with a similar tar.

ah...that just goes to show how much I pay attention...

I wish the drunkie thread was still active... :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mr. Anderson said:
Um, I didn't get the memo......

When did you become a mod?

Welcome, though :D

D
My promotion was recent. Thanks. I feel welcome. All warm and fuzzy inside.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Didn't you notice? Everyone is a moderator today. :D

Congratulations, Doctor Q, and good luck!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
bousozoku said:
Congratulations, Doctor Q, and good luck!
Thanks! My parents are very proud of me, although they still doesn't understand what MacRumors is.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
eyelikeart said:
I wish the drunkie thread was still active... :p

it was closed through no fault of your own :D

it just got a little too much out of hand there..... and now with Dr Q. on the job posting the 'decorum' I'm sure even less will be tolerated in the future :D

D

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
You know, eyelikeart and Mr. Anderson weren't notified about there being a new moderator, and neither was I... arn wouldn't promote someone without telling us...

did rower change your status, Doc?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Mudbug said:
You know, eyelikeart and Mr. Anderson weren't notified about there being a new moderator, and neither was I... arn wouldn't promote someone without telling us...

did rower change your status, Doc?

I didn't hear anything, and I'm usually the one who decides who the new mods are. If it weren't for me, mudbug would be nobody...NOBODY!!! :eek:

But yeah, I've no clue what happened. Maybe I was drunk?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sun Baked said:
Sorry bousozoku, but this thread sort of reminds me of the Netiquette Nazi

Remember how strict I was in the IRC channel when it went 24/7? He could not be nearly as difficult as I was.

Send all my post reporting to Doctor Q. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
eyelikeart said:
I didn't hear anything, and I'm usually the one who decides who the new mods are. If it weren't for me, mudbug would be nobody...NOBODY!!! :eek:

But yeah, I've no clue what happened. Maybe I was drunk?

you? drunk? didn't think that was possible with that super metabolism of yours....:D

and I think you over estimate your powers there.. ;)

and you haven't been around that much lately, myself included there...

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mudbug said:
Look - we're in charge of titles around here and nobody authorized this one. either somebody's not explaining what happened, or somebody tinkered with vBulletin... :confused:
edesignuk said:
...it only says moderator in his avatar...nothing else...april freakin fools...:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Mudbug? Why delete the post I quoted from you that was above this one?????

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Mr. Anderson said:
you? drunk? didn't think that was possible with that super metabolism of yours....:D

and I think you over estimate your powers there.. ;)

and you haven't been around that much lately, myself included there...

It happens, but usually for only about 15 mins before I sober up. I should keep the drinking then, to keep afloat my drunkeness. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.