Forum works together to get what we want in iOS.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TrenttonY, Jul 9, 2013.

1. TrenttonY, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

If we all decide on a feature, design change, ease of use and efficiently change, or a simple bug fix, let's send a request to Apple in packs. If a lot of people send a request for the same thing they might listen (and fast). So comment your idea for iOS and if you agree on it send the request to

( http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html )

It will only take a second.

(P.S I wouldn't just copy and paste the feature you want you should type it as your own when you request it to Apple)

----------

I would like when you double tap album artwork in Music app and select another song from that same album the list of songs go's away automatically. (Goes in Efficiency/Workflow)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

*sigh*

You want to give feedback on unreleased software?

3. TrenttonY, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. That's what beta is for. Fix issues before release.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He probably isn't but feedback on unreleased software is likely to be ignored. They have to get their initial idea out the door before taking feedback.

Also, I really hope people who are here requesting or discussing features of released software then they're also going to the very source of that software. Bitching or discussing here doesn't do much.

On that note, I just want iOS 7 to function well. Added features is just a bonus at this point.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

If you are talking about issues with iOS 7, you must use the developer portal to report issues.

7. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Isn't this the best time to do that? While it's still in beta and able to be changed?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No. It's in beta for developers to test apps with the API. Not to get feedback such as the crap that's littering this forum.

If they open feedback up (to software you're not supposed to have yet unless you are a developer), they're just going to be bombarded with "I DONT LIKE THIS" or "This aint finished yet" or "Why have you removed xxxx", instead of the feedback developers are likely to get which is along the lines of "NSBlahBlah returns -1 instead of 0 under xxx circumstances" - which is what this beta is all about - making sure as many apps as possible work on day 1.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

10. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

They probably have someone at Apple reading this forum anyway.

A lot people of said they didn't like the small spacebar in Safari and it just happens to have been fixed in the next beta. ;)

11. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I, for one liked the small spacebar. It was easier to put the .com instead of typing it out.

13. madsci954 macrumors 68030

You realize any suggestion you give now probably won't show up until iOS 8?

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What percentage of iOS users does this forum represent? And are we a good representation of the average iOS user?

15. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

I think the changes between beta 2 and beta 3 clearly shows that Apple is indeed listening to the zeitgeist of its testers to inform their internal struggles.

Previously we might not had been able to have an impact, but we are definitely being let in on a much earlier stage of development for a much more impactful change than we have before. I am not advocating design by committee, but do not think for a second that Apple isn't having the exact same discussions internally that we are having out here in the open right now.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, I think it's about picking your battles.

I would love to see a cue up next track feature in the music app, but I doubt calling for that is going to happen. But the UK has been dumped with a useless default of ".uk" instead of the ".com" button (the UK uses .co.uk anyway!), so a co-ordinated set of complaints has much more chance of getting that changed.

17. JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

*facepalm*

Congrats, this is the dumbest message I've read today!

----------

From Apple's iOS 7 Beta release notes:

If you understood anything about Development you'd know that the Beta period is precisely the time when developers need to be informed about bugs and user problems.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

But this isn't a public beta it's a developer beta. So the primary purpose is for developers to update their apps and report bugs not for the average joe to submit UI design suggestions.

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yeah, but not thru the general feedback tool that's available to everybody. Apple takes feedback on beta software from developers thru the developer website: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/.

20. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

You make a valid point, but it seems to me that if there are aspects of iOS 7 that are widely disliked (e.g., too-thin fonts), it's in Apple's best interest to be alerted to it now, when its easy to fix, instead of being flooded with complaints in the Fall.

My opinion. Freely given, and worth every penny! :)

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There is a massive difference between "development feedback" and "public feedback". And if YOU Knew anything about development, you'd understand that.

Oh, and FTR, your signature is wrong. There is a massive difference between an upgrade and clean install. Again, something a developer should know ;).

----------

That's cool - and I kind of agree, but the problem with public testing and feedback is that millions of those pennies makes it very difficult to find any useful information.

Especially when it's things, like you have mentioned, thin fonts, etc - which are very subjective.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Long press on the period brings up a list of URL suffixes like com, net, org.

23. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Also a big difference between bugs and features you'd like to see or change. I'd think what Apple is interested in now is reliability, speed and making sure that the API's and other tools that developers use work as they are supposed to. They also have to provide time for developers to fix (look at the long list of apps that don't work yet) their own applications.

Not saying Apple is never interested in comments but new features might go into the IOS 8 list, if that is still open.

Fixes not features.

24. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Sure, but that's where having a lot of feedback is useful. With lots of feedback, you can see trends emerging. The font is a good example, because a lot of people complained about it. I'll bet that when Apple saw that, there was a faction within the design group that said, "See, I told you readability was going to be a problem with the font that thin."

Another example is the ".com" button in Safari. That got a lot of criticism, and now it's gone.

There are some things about which opinion is more or less equally divided. Some like it, some don't. But when a consensus emerges ("We hate the .com button!"), Apple can take action now and head off a lot of dissatisfaction in the Fall.

25. fivedots macrumors 6502a

My personal take is that Apple has enough users in their own building to provide solid feedback about the UI and features. I very much doubt any of the feedback coming in externally is necessary or even processed.

I would say that the value in the developer beta is squashing obscure bugs rather than providing design input.