Found an iPhone 4 - Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey guys I found an iphone 4 - Verizon.... I would like to return it but the phone is locked and for some odd reason nobody has tried calling the phone. I found it yesterday afternoon on my way home from work and have kept the phone on ever since in hopes that someone would call..... I can see on the front of the screen the Verizon name with full signal bars and 3G on so it doesnt seem like they disconected their service. I'm really hoping someone would call the phone but it hasnt happened.

Anyways my question is should I just drop it off at a verizon store if nobody has called by the end of the day? Will they even make an attempt to get it back to the owner? I'm just afraid they will dump it in the back or an employee will just keep it. Anyone have experience with this... any advice?

edit: I know this is a loooong shot but if anyone here on MR lost an iphone 4 in the timesquare NYC vicinity tell me whats on the wallpaper on the lockscreen and maybe its yours...

2. Bootleg2go macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Turn it in to the local police dept.
    as a found item. If the owner doesn't claim it then it will legally be yours in 3-6 months.
    The person who lost it will likely go to the PD to ask if it's been turned in.

Posting here is a good start and I would suggest beyond telling you the wallpaper, they should be able to give you the password before you hand it over to them.

3. GAUG3 macrumors member

I bet ATT would be half bars.

Good idea.

4. tdar macrumors 6502a

Verizon can help you get it to the rightful owner.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Good for you for wanting to do the right thing.

Before smartphones, I used to find phones on campus all the time. I only had one instance where a girl for some reason thought it was MY responsibility to walk across campus and deliver her phone back to her. I even offered to meet her somewhere and she didn't show or refused or something. I told her my room number and my schedule and she never showed...

Excuse the ignorance but even with a passcode, can't you restore a phone (not that you would want to if it's someone elses) and make it useable?

6. Edge1978, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I would say look through the contacts and see if there is a listing for Home, or Mom or Dad.

a friend of mine lost her phone a few years ago and the clerk went through her contacts and called her home number to let her know she found her phone.

ETA: Forgot that you said it was locked.

7. Bomix macrumors newbie

I agree, It's hard to find people today who will do the right thing. My sister had her Iphone stolen last month. She really misses it. I'm sure the owner is fearing the worse.. Don't give up!

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd contact verizon over the phone.

If you take it into a store and turn it in I don't trust the employees enough to do the right thing.

9. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

That's a good idea thanks. I'm afraid even if the police gives it back to me I couldnt do anything with it since its a verizon phone the imei would be blocked, So I'm really hoping it gets to the owner

If I restore it, then all contacts will be erased anyway so I'll be back at square one

Thats what I'm afraid of.

10. nizmoz, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

nizmoz macrumors 65816

The way Verizon and Sprint system work, is the phone could have been reported as stolen already with a bad ESN #, but it will still show signal and bars. Once this has happened, the phone can no longer be used EVER in Verizons system.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the good feeling you gave me with your post. Your genuine concern about returning the phone to the owner, rather than the usual question about how to somehow justify keeping the found phone, made my day.

Good on ya, mate...:D :D

12. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I just think about how terrible I would feel if I lost my $600 phone... And then I dont wish that on anyone so I didn't even hesitate in my thinking of returning it. I just wish the person would call. :(

13. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Umm he did state it is locked ;)

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're a mensch, as my grandmother would say.:D

15. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

Oops...missed that part :eek:

16. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Not always. I found a Blackberry once and when Verizon was called they said "sorry we cant release the info" I said no problem where can I drop this off to get it to the owner. They said they didn't do that either.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hold home button, start trying

call mom
    call dad
    call [popular names in the dictionary]

18. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Oh boy.... Well if all else fails there is a police station right in times square. I may just drop it off there.

19. nmork macrumors regular

This. Try 'home' and 'ICE' as well. Voice control still works :)

If that fails then yeah, police station's your best bet.

20. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Wipe the data from the phone & start using it as your own. Don't register the device with Apple though.

Enjoy :)

21. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Hold the home button & see if voice control is turned on.
    If it is, try "call home" or "call mom/dad" and see what happens.

22. KrsutyCheerio macrumors newbie

My sister once lost her verizon phone at a party. Days later we got a call from verizon saying they had the phone. Someone returned it to their local verizon. Best bet would be to return it to verizon and they will handle the rest.

23. kulimer macrumors 6502

There is a unique Serial Number for each phone. If Verizon doesn't work, how about going to an Apple store and ask them? After all, it's Apple who made the phone. Wish you the best of luck.

24. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

You can see the reason why she didn't want to do that though right? She's a girl and you wanted her to meet a stranger (you) at your room?

I think the better option would've been to tell her to go to the front desk at the building.

25. mdmc macrumors newbie

MY phone is locked. I tried this and it worked. Called home for me. :)