Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadon123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Hi guys,

My friend found an iPhone 16gb in white a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I can do anything with it.

The iPhone has been jb on 3.0.1 but seems to say 'no service' and says something about the activation taking longer than normal or something. I assume it's been blocked by O2.

Is there any way I can get this to work on Orange?

Thanks in advance:cool:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I'm sure Orange would be glad to find the owner for you. The owner has probably already contacted them to have the IMEI blocked so it can't be used by whover "found" it. All you need to do is call them up and they'll get it to them.

rcarranza

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
If the phones been locked it will be bricked, unusable as a phone. O2/Orange will not pass it onto the owner as they can't unlist a phone from a blacklist. Still...the honest thing to do is hand it in to the police, or find a contact in the phone you can let know you have the phone so you can return it.

But yeah, the phone is completely unusable as a phone if it has been blacklisted!

Bungle73

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
UK
In the old days if someone found an expensive phone they'd at least attempt to return it to its rightful owner. I guess some people are too selfish to do that these days.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I'm not surprised that people keep phones they've found, but I AM surprised that they would post a thread on here expecting advice on how to get what is now effectively a stolen phone working.:mad:

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
i found a $50 bill the other day. I handed it over to the police and it bought me piece of mind greater than anything I could have bought for $50.

dadon123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm not surprised that people keep phones they've found, but I AM surprised that they would post a thread on here expecting advice on how to get what is now effectively a stolen phone working.:mad:

I hope you mean FOUND not STOLEN :mad:

I have an iPhone myself and don't need unhelpful people like you accusing me of STEALING when it's clearly stated the iPhone was FOUND

Bungle73

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
UK

I have an iPhone myself and don't need unhelpful people like you accusing me of STEALING when it's clearly stated the iPhone was FOUND

Refusing to return lost property to its rightful owner = stolen.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008

Then don't make a post on a forum that takes some sort of pride in at least a minimal level of integrity, asking how to use a phone that's not yours. Maybe start with asking, "How can I find who this belongs to?"

I doubt that was even considered.

loki007420

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Detroit
is it just me or is there a post just like this one about every other month or so..

i "found a iphone" LOLz

on a side note a few years ago at the Detroit Auto Show i sat in a car and sat on a cell phone.. I picked it up and went through the contacts and dailed "home" i spoke with the person on the other end and told them i found a phone and their number was listed as "home". i gave them my number and within 15mins i got a call from the person that lost the phone.. they were still at the auto show and met me at a booth.. I gave them the phone back and the guy gave me $100.. Felt real good to return it to its owner, i could have cared less about the money i just kept thinking how i would feel if i lost my phone..

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi guys,

My friend found an iPhone 16gb in white a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I can do anything with it.

The iPhone has been jb on 3.0.1 but seems to say 'no service' and says something about the activation taking longer than normal or something. I assume it's been blocked by O2.

Is there any way I can get this to work on Orange?

Thanks in advance:cool:

I'll give you advice once I see proof that you actually tried to find its owner for at least 3 months. Other than that, theft is what I call what you did.

Also, "Find my iPhone", many stories have surfaced of people being caught with "found" devices. You may be next. No I am not accusing you, I am just telling you a general sentiment here.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

IT IS STOLEN! If you find something like a phone and decide to keep it you have legally stolen it. It still belongs to the owner!!!! Not to you(r mate). You could and should be prosecuted. It would be a VERY simple matter to get the phone back to it's owner. O2 and/or Apple will most likely be able to trace them. I found a blackberry a couple of years ago and simply called the 'Mum' contact and told her I'd found her son's phone.

You really really sicken me, and your misplaced outrage defies my understanding.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I like the one where the guy in Detroit (I believe) got a cell phone out of a robbery. Used it to take his own picture. Owner had set phone up to auto transfer all pictures back to computer.

Purp's photo just showed up on victim's computer a day or 2 later.

Victim gave photo to police who ran it on news.

Purp turned himself in the next day.

Maybe the "mate" of the OP will get his due. :)

dadon123

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Guys,

Sorry for posting the OP on behalf of my friend.

I was angry and told him to read all your useful replies. Let's hope alarm bells are ringing in his head and tries to return it the rightful owner.

If he can't, would it be advisable to get in contact with the service provider and returning it them?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Yesterday my roommate came home with a bicycle. He said he "found" it. I said, "how the hell do you find a bicycle." He said he passed it on a certain street a few times in one day and it wasn't locked up so he took it home.

I'm making him turn it into the police station because he STOLE it. No ifs ands or buts. If you take something that isn't yours without the intention of finding the owner then you're a thief.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Yesterday my roommate came home with a bicycle. He said he "found" it. I said, "how the hell do you find a bicycle." He said he passed it on a certain street a few times in one day and it wasn't locked up so he took it home.

I'm making him turn it into the police station because he STOLE it. No ifs ands or buts. If you take something that isn't yours without the intention of finding the owner then you're a thief.

Man, I'm glad you aren't my roommate. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.