Found an Xbox 360 at the side of the road

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by AaronM5670, Feb 16, 2014.

1. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Hi guys,

After taking a wrong turn whilst driving this evening, at the side of the road I came across a white Xbox 360 (the original - arcade I think). It seems to be in good nick, dry and not damaged in any way and still has the Microsoft seal on it which makes me think it's the real deal. Obviously it is just the console with no cables or anything and it is missing a front plate (£5 on eBay). I am thinking of taking it to my local pawn shop who have the facilities to test it and see if it's ok. Obviously I'd like to keep it - providing I get a controller and power supply it should be good to go. If it doesn't work (I see no reason why it shouldn't), I may as well just sell it on eBay as spares or repairs. I've played PlayStation all my life so it'll be interesting to hop over the fence and try it out - despite the odd situation!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

2. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Go for it nothing to loose really, if it works why not use it, if it does not work sell it as you say on Ebay, win win.

3. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

I took it into the pawn shop today and they said there is a 50/50 chance, not exactly very helpful. It needs a power lead (£20), hard drive (£20 ish) and a new front plate (£5/10). I don't really want to waste money on this stuff if it doesn't work, is there any way at all of telling? Also, can you just use any old HDD and plug it into the top port or does it have to be an official Microsoft one?

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Do you know anybody with a 360 who could lend you the power cable? As for HDs, you can't just stick any old drive in unfortunately. Microsoft are asses and have a proprietary format.

5. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Everyone I know who has an Xbox has the slim. Unfortunately mine is the 203-watt version which is difficult to get power supplies for cheaply. :(

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's likely the reason it was dumped on the side of the road ;)

7. AaronM5670, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Haha I think so, I might just sell it for spares or repairs and make an easy £20 or so! :D

If I manage to find a free power supply of the right wattage, I'll try it out of course!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It should still boot without a hard drive; the power supply will be the fun part.

9. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

I've managed to find a power supply on Freecycle - I hope it's the right wattage! Fingers crossed it boots up, I see no reason why it shouldn't... :D

10. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Ok, I picked up the power supply today - I didn't know which wattage it was until I picked it up, by pure chance it was 203-watt - and expectantly plugged it into the Xbox, switched it on and...green light! I then hooked it up to my TV via HDMI and I got a picture too, the Xbox menu I think! 100% perfect condition. I just need a controller, front plate, HDD and some games and I'm good to go! :D

11. A11en macrumors newbie

12. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Sorry, I nearly forgot about this thread and haven't looked at it for a while! I eventually managed to blag one off a mate who had a spares or repairs white 360.

Unfortunately, despite what I said previously about it being in good condition the 360 has recently suffered a broken DVD drive, so I had to replace it.

[​IMG]

After a while, I also managed to get a Philips Lite-On drive replacement (identified by the wire colours online) for £10 on eBay (less than half of the usual price), which I fitted today using a helpful YouTube guide which also showed how to solder on the 6 connecting wires which came from the broken drive and replace the PCB inside the drive (to avoid buying a SATA cable and re-flashing its firmware). Overall it was quite a simple process to follow although it did involve me purchasing a T10 Torx driver (£4.50) which I intend to return tomorrow as I'll likely never use it again, and an almost complete disassembly of the console. If you know roughly what you're doing with electronics you should be fine though, especially due to helpful YouTube guides.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not cool man!

14. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Sorry I forgot to mention that I didn't feel it was of sufficient quality - it was almost falling apart after one use and not worth the money - better alternatives could have been sought for 99p on Amazon I feel.