Found iPhone 4s from o2 can I unlock to use in america?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphonenoob20, Jul 9, 2012.

1. iphonenoob20 macrumors newbie

Before the moral of finding the owner or turn into the police I have had the phone for about a month no calls or texts or nothing the phone has a passcode so im not accessing any private stuff but im guessing since it has an o2 sim the owner left it behind in the U.S and returned to the U.K

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

you would have to contact o2 to have it unlocked - which won't happen if it was reported lost or stolen.

3. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I be straight up with them and say I found the phone and wanting to unlock it for U.S use?

4. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

and is their anyway to see if the phone has been reported lost?

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Contact O2 and ask them, they'll most likely be the ones to know. I would tell them flat out that you found the phone.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im not gonna throw morals at you regarding this as you will act upon your own judgement and standards anyway. Your obviously not going to hand it in as you have had it in your possession for this long.

If the iPhone is on contract then the uk owner would have possibly reported it to the uk police in order to obtain a crime number so they can claim on any applicable insurance.

02 won't unlock it for you as its not registered to you.

It won't be discussed on here on how to bypass lock codes or other methods so you can reset it and rightly so.

I recently had my iPhone 4 stolen and am only too glad i imei blocked mine, remote wiped and locked it using the findmyiphone software, and had app locker installed to add extra security on sensitive apps such as banking etc.

I assume the thief ripped out my sim card.

I would like to believe in karma with what goes around comes around.

7. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean i don't consider myself a thief since i found it and even if i tried returning it the phone keycode blocked,from the U.K and since i found it I have kept it charged seeing if anyone called.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If the owner has been separated from the iPhone 4 in whatever way in the states and then returned to the Uk they will have probably thought all was lost due to it happening in another country.

Im not saying your the thief only that mine was pick pocketed from my person.

Your a finder of a lost or stolen item which does not make you the rightful owner. A court of law would argue that you knew the item was not yours in any definition, and chose to keep it although we all know it would not reach this !

9. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry to hear that! I have my old HTC Evo taken from my locker and ik it sucked to have something taken from you but i mean i cant do much since the owner is in another country. I might as well try and enjoy the phone like an iphone deserves.

10. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

We have a magical thing called international shipping. Call o2. Tell them you found a lost phone. Get the number of the person and ask them if they want to pay for it to be shipped to the UK if they don't care and let you keep it, good for you. Then you can ask them to try to get o2 to unlock it.

11. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought phone carriers weren't allowed to give out other peoples personal info?

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Its still worth a shot. Just tell them the truth so they don't start thinking you took it from him/her

13. iphonenoob20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Imma give o2 a call and tell them i found an iphone in US from the UK and see what happens fill you guys in later.