found Locked Iphone 4s or 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OL3OLE3, Sep 14, 2012.

1. OL3OLE3 macrumors newbie

i had a party for a bears/packers game and had quite a few random people over today found iPhone in backyard someone was hammered and its locked with a passcode weirdly enough the phone says no simcard and the power button on top seems to be broken can anyone help trying to unlock and see who it belongs to if no one claims it I'm keeping that bitch but am trying to do the right thing and find owner in phonebook

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

plug it in itunes and see what the name of it is

3. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

turn in to apple or wipe and use until you're asked about it.

4. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

it says johns iphones whoever owns it is retarded

5. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

no apple store unless i go back home to chicago I'm off at school i will try and wipe it and keep it i have a 4s but screens cracked however i ill try and wait my thing is does anyone know how i can get around the password i know i can do something but the power button on top seems to be broken and cant do the hard reset ???? any other way

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I suppose contacting the people (that you know) who were at the party is out of the question?

No danger of it being claimed by the wrong person - they won't know the passcode either.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...as is anyone who keeps it and doesn't turn it in to the police or Apple- possession of stolen property is fun.

If it's a 4S, you might get lucky by holding down the home button and saying, "call wife/mom/dad/sister/brother." Otherwise, turn it in somewhere.

8. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

my buddies dont know who lost it and all say keep it but will try and see if anything comes up and try and unlock this thing somehow or open it up and see why the power button is broken or if it is

9. Deako macrumors 6502

Wow, i can tell the OP has realy high morals. :confused:

10. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats not my first choice but ok really turn it into the police how is that smart wtf would some small town cops do with it keep it and hope someone comes looking for it if i lost my phone and was at a party id go to that house the next day to this minute no one has came or called me and like i said for some reason it says no sim card i think its verizon too

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You need some new buddies.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

1st. "." That is a period. Learn how to use one.
    2nd. Turning it in is the law...regardless if you think it's smart or not.

13. Deako macrumors 6502

And a brain, some morals, i could go on............

14. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

just to clarify i DONT want to just keep this phone and be a dick if someone comes and asks ill gladly give it to them if they can unlock it with code I've had my iPhone stolen in the past so don't want to have bad karma however no one has came I've texted like 20 people asking if their friends lost them and no idk around 2am when the bars closed we had like 60 more people show up maybe they don't know where they lost it

----------

chill out grammar nazi i am not here for a lesson

15. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The police won't care. They're not the "lost and found". The property is not stolen. It was left at his house. If the person who lost it wants it back they hopefully would have some idea of where to look. OP - you should keep trying to locate the owner, at least for a week or two, but if you are unable to find them you should keep the phone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So nobody called it?
    And how is the sim card missing unless you or someone took it out.
    All you have to do is wait till the owners calls it and talk to him.
    Why would someone bring a phone without a sim or service with him?

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, if you really have tried, I forgive you. But how to unlock and figure out what is wrong with it? No idea.

18. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats how i feel when has anyone ever said o **** i lost this let me go to the police station its the US and i live in a college town it would get me nowhere I'm going to try and find the owner and hopefully locate him and i dont need this phone i have a 4s myself and ordered the 5 so im good i could care less

----------

its verizon im guessing no sim card tray and also it was very moist in the morning today it rained or drizzled over night maybe thats whats caused it to say that i have no clue if that wasn't the case i would of used siri and said call anyone mom dad or normal names

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For items found of value, yes, they ARE the list and found. They'll gladly take it, put it in a locker, and, if nobody collects it within a certain amount of time, they'll give it back to you to keep legally.

By not doing so you are in possession of stolen property.

20. OL3OLE3 thread starter macrumors newbie

legally it is not stolen left here am not going to incovininece myself and go talk to the ****ing cops im in a college town have parties a lot here with my roomates if i go to the cops theyll ask this and that im not an ******* or do shady things but if you went to college you know how it is

21. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Rather than turning it in to the police just hold on to it, since the part was at your place someone is bound to come looking for it.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I guess it's true, you can pay for school but you can't buy class...

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

A couple of months ago my 10 year old daughter found an iPhone on the floor of a restaurant we were eating in. The group who was sitting there had left shortly before.

Her first reaction was not to keep it. In fact that thought never occurred to her. She handed it to one of the waitress and was thrilled to do so. We don't know if the owner got it back but she did the right thing.

She also uses punctuation, not always successfully, but she tries.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it says no sim then it has a sim tray on the side if its a 4S. The verizon i4 doesnt have a sim slot.
    Either way since its verizon it will be blacklisted when the owner reports it lost and registers another phone to his account.
    So you wont be able to do anything with it or use it as a phone anyway.
    And if you say it also got water damage then its a lost cause.

That's what Jay Z says and its very true:D

25. zaxdude macrumors regular

I don't think anyone was being a nazi. Using some periods in your statements helps readability of the post and ensures there's no confusion in what point you intend to convey. Your posts in this thread are very difficult to read and follow. All any of us ask is that you help us by making clear & readable posts in return for our help to you.

With that being said, I think you should turn the phone in to the police if no one comes to you within a few days. You stated that it was "found" and not "stolen" because someone left it. I can see that position. I can also see the position of doing it the "right way" and taking it to the police, waiting out the wait period, and then getting the phone legally as your property because no one claimed it. Being in a college town doesn't make the approach any different than in a non-college town.