Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
What is this? It just changed this morning when I launched the program, are the top ones universal apps?

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Yes, it obviously means that those apps are optimized to run on both the iphone and ipad.

MarketingGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsborough, NJ
As stated already, those are universal apps that are optimized for all 3 devices. It looks like Apple has organized the apps into 3 categories:
  • iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps
  • iPhone and iPod Touch Apps
  • iPad Apps

Is there a way to tell the type of app while syncing (for example, if I don't want my iPhone apps on the iPad)? I haven't found an easy way to differentiate the types of apps.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Lazy devs should make all apps this way

It's not always about being lazy. Example: complex 3D games. I want iPad-only versions for apps that take a lot of space. If a dev makes a complex 3D game (or any other app that takes loads of space) into a universal app, then iPhone/iPod Touch users have to carry that extra filesize on their devices for no reason. I mean, I saw one app go from 3 to 14 megabytes just because it has become universal. Small apps are good universal, but I don't want valuable space taken up on my iPhone because huge apps have gone universal.

It's great that the universal option is there for devs and consumers. But it is not always the best option.

mrfriggz

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Is there a way to tell the type of app while syncing (for example, if I don't want my iPhone apps on the iPad)? I haven't found an easy way to differentiate the types of apps.

I think this is currently the only thing I really don't like right now. I have like 150 iPhone apps, and it was very frustrating checking and unchecking a bunch of apps not even knowing if it is an iPad app or iPhone app. When syncing the iPad, it would be nice if they were listed out in catagories.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
And when you download some iPad ONLY apps, you'll see this:

829471446_72Wne-L.jpg

Now I just need my iPad 3G to go with them! :)

Mark

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah they should

I am sorry, I don't want 70MB+ apps sitting on my iPhone, this is the case even if you don't have an iPad.

And I am sorry, calling dev lazy for not doing what you think they should. To top it off, you couldn't take your lazy ass to Google to figure out that they were Universal Apps? Please.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I am sorry, I don't want 70MB+ apps sitting on my iPhone, this is the case even if you don't have an iPad.

And I am sorry, calling dev lazy for not doing what you think they should. To top it off, you couldn't take your lazy ass to Google to figure out that they were Universal Apps? Please.

Whose more lazy when you have more posts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.