Four Dead In Oh-Hi-Oh -- New Analysis Of Tape Reveals Order Given to Prepare to Fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 24, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Another piece to the mystery as to why American troops opened fire on their own citizens appears to have been put into place:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My dad was there at the time. He said it was horrible.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Imagine if the National Guard fired on Tea Party protesters.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Too funny. As if.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They'd probably fire back.

6. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Ensuring that there'd be no survivors? :rolleyes:

7. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Too funny? Yea it would be hysterical:confused:

Back to the subject. I wonder what dick lived for all those years knowing he gave the orders to kill fellow Americans.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What I meant was- there would be a huge uproar and investigation if it did happen. But I don't think it ever would.

9. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

For some reason, I find the audio forensics process fascinating.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Me too. The ability to take what appears to be nothing and turn it into that is very fascinating.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Somebody with ears much better than mine must be listening to that recording.

I heard the word claimed to be "Guard" at 9-ish seconds into the recording. If nobody had told me that the word being said is "guard," I would suppose it could have passed for any of a number of words; but I'll take it on faith that it's actually "guard" that's being said.

I also heard someone, noticeably closer to the source of the recording, say, "all right prepare," but again that's only because I'm told that's what's being said - it could just as easily have been "Aw, I don't care" or something else; but again, I'll take it on faith that the words being spoken are "all right prepare."

First of all, the inflection in the speaker's voice does not strike me as that of someone giving a military order; maybe that's just me. Secondly, I do not hear the words "to fire" spoken anywhere in the recording.

Immediately after "all right prepare" I can very clearly hear someone yell "get down." It sounds like it's spoken by someone else, but I can't be sure. I don't hear the second "guard" claimed to be in the recording.

The most important - and troubling - part of the recording is that it isn't clear, at least not to me, who is saying what. Were the guardsmen given an order? Most likely, either a verbal order or some other sort of direction. It strikes me as odd that a number of people would all start shooting at the same time without someone directing (or at least leading) the assault.

I'd like to hear more detail in this recording, if it's available. Like mactastic and yg17, I'm fascinated by this stuff.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Was he a tricky one?

13. Surely Guest

Surely

/not surprised.

"28 Guardsmen pivoted in unison atop Blanket Hill, raised their rifles and pistols and fired 67 times" couldn't have happened without an order. Otherwise, it would have just been spontaneous, unorganized shooting.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

To me, it's virtually impossible for 28 men to spontaneously fire their guns at the same time. Since there's no evidence they were part of a synchronized firing squad, the only possibility that remans is that someone gave the order to fire.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually you might be surprised what happens when one person shoots and there are many others ready to shoot.

16. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Spot on! Imagine being lined up with 28 grunts carring high-caliber rifles. One fires and it starts the "domino effect." It happens all the time on the firing range...first thing in the morning.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

True, but then it wouldn't have happened like this:

"28 Guardsmen pivoted in unison atop Blanket Hill, raised their rifles and pistols and fired 67 times."

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would have suspected a more uniform shot if they were actually ordered to fire, I have no doubt they were ordered to pivot, which is a common way for them to get into formation. Its possible that one person let the first shot go and it went downhill from there.

Just putting it out as a possibility. 13 hits out of 67 shots doesn't sound like a real well prepared fire volley. Thats about 20% accuracy into an unsuspecting crowd.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Another argument against guns.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

It's a possibility. Absolutely. It may have went down that way. I hope that's how it went down.

However, if the order was given to "Prepare to fire", that would be enough to put that one nervous person in a position to accidentally fire which would have began your domino effect. If that order wasn't given, the guard wouldn't have pivoted together, and they wouldn't have raised and aimed their rifles in unison so they would be ready to fire.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its more of an argument against human nature.

I think thats probably exactly what happened, I just question whether a fire order was given as seems to be implied in the article. Its pretty bad that they would have their weapons pointed in the first place. As they say, don't point a gun at something you aren't willing to kill.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps because many of them didn't want to kill their own citizens.

23. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Again...you are correct. "Pivot" simply means to enter into an aggressive position (basically "aim")...it does not mean "fire." What happened was horrible and should have never have reached that point. If the commanding officer gave the command, he (and only he) should be prosecuted.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree with this. They followed orders but some didn't want to kill.

No, but it means be ready to fire, which means your safety is off and your (nervous/itchy) finger is on the trigger.

That order was unnecessary given the situation.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which is still an argument against guns.

If it's "human nature" for trained national guardsmen to be caught up in the the peer pressure slaughter of innocent individuals no wonder the US peacetime bodycount from civillian shooting is so high.