Four small symbols in lower left of Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Oct 4, 2009.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been discussed before but... what are those four little symbols in the lower left of a Finder window? Clicking on them doesn't seem to do anything.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What 4 little symbols? Can you post a screenshot?

3. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

They signify if the current folder has any additional attributes to it, such as 'Align to Grid' or 'Arrange by Name' etc.

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I think they're just to remind you you're using icon view. It'll change to something else if you change it or change the arrangement etc.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

They show that you are in Icon view if you change to list, column or coverflow view those squares disappear.

Don't really see the point as it is usually pretty obvious if you are in icon view.

6. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

Not quite. They show that 'Arrange by something' has been selected in View Options. If you select 'Arrange by Snap to Grid' you get a little picture of a grid in their place. If you select 'Arrange by None' you get no symbol.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Perception is a marvelous deception, depending on my reception, with certain exceptions. "Four small symbols"? I see two possible symbols, but only one at a time: a grid, or four parallelograms arranged in a square pattern. :D

Interestingly, the symbol does not change using control-click or right click when I've set the window to None or Snap to Grid using Show View Options. StoG and None are only available in SVO, not in the contextual menu. And the same "four small symbols" apply to everything except StoG or None. Yeah, not a very useful feature.