macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
And nice edit, I see you added a line of sympathy to make yourself look better.
Huh? look better?

I often times double stage my posts like that. Had nothing to do with your "comment" and in fact, is in the smae nature as the first part of my post

Mocking serious issues such as suicide attempts is not entertaining nor appropriate imo:cool:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
*bangs heads together*

Guys, it's not about you OK?

This is really quite a bad state of affairs. Four?? Something is definitely wrong with any setup where that occurs.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Huh? look better?

I often times double stage my posts like that. Had nothing to do with your "comment" and in fact, is in the smae nature as the first part of my post

Mocking serious issues such as suicide attempts is not entertaining nor appropriate imo:cool:

Look, if you feel the need to try and make yourself look righteous on the forum. Be my guest. I've no doubt it's all a front however.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
^^ Time out (both of yas)... proceed on topic.
Fair enough.

Well, after French Telecom had their suicide scandal statistics released for the previous year the employees started to protest. However the news was reporting than in a large corporation around 4 suicides a year is usual.

Point being here that the 4 suicides at this manufacturers may actually be on par with Western company suicide statistics. Maybe worth checking out, it could tally up.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
"The woman had reportedly been fighting with her boyfriend before the suicide attempt on Tuesday, the company announced.

In the past month, two men in their 20s have jumped to their death from buildings at the Longhua plant, while another woman was seriously injured in another suicide attempt.

The woman later said she had been under a great deal of pressure.”

--------

At least it wasn’t because she lost a prototype.

Two thoughts on the subject:

1) I hope the woman and other employees get the help they need (if such help even exists in China). It would probably be a good idea for Apple to require Foxconn to provide counselors on-site as part of their contract considering the number of hours these employees are working.

2) Incidents like this happen in every country everyday, but because it’s Foxconn—and Foxconn makes Apple products—it’s big news as long as the media can slap an “Apple/iPad/iPhone” headline on it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple has a code of conduct for their contract manufacturers and recently went public with violations if found during a routine audit. They can do just so much. Foxconn has several hundred thousand employees, the manufacturer for everyone.

^^ Time out (both of yas)... proceed on topic.

Old school moderating, FTW! :)

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
OP, do you have the same concerns over the suicides at Cornell? These are not attempts, they are actual suicides. IIRC, there have been at least 3, maybe 4 just this semester (quarter?, don't know what they are on). This is causing enough alarm at Cornell to stage faculty members 24/7 on the bridges across campus that span the gorges these students are tossing themselves over.

Get off of Apple. This has nothing to do with them and if you have ever been to China, the conditions, at least everywhere that I have been are horrendous. Not to mention, the rate of suicide is probably very high in China (as in other Asian countries) due to the culture.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
OP, do you have the same concerns over the suicides at Cornell? These are not attempts, they are actual suicides. IIRC, there have been at least 3, maybe 4 just this semester (quarter?, don't know what they are on). This is causing enough alarm at Cornell to stage faculty members 24/7 on the bridges across campus that span the gorges these students are tossing themselves over.
Yeah I remember Cornell being in the news for this recently, they had a publicity counter-offensive and they handled it the same way French Telecom who I mentioned did.. by stating that 4 suicides a year is regular (statistically), not just for them, but for other similar institutions.

Just sometimes if they happen 2 or 3 in short succession then it really looks bad.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I would hope Apple would try an more strictly audit their manufacturing companies for things such as this. That's pretty horrible...
Talk to the Unions in the good old USA. Then maybe Apple won't have to farm out production to foreign countries.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Talk to the Unions in the good old USA. Then maybe Apple won't have to farm out production to foreign countries.
So its the unions fault that apple went off shore to pay for slave labor to build their products :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So its the unions fault that apple went off shore to pay for slave labor to build their products :rolleyes:
Do they make it easy for domestic business to be run profitably?

How many more sick days, personal days, and vacation days does an employee need? What employer can afford to pay for exorbitant benefits? Demands of unionized workers are increasing with no regard for what it will do to their own industry over the long-term.

Thats just one of the problems, however. Unions per se are not the problem. Unions that have become too entrenched and powerful, however, are most certainly one of the problems. And it's an epidemic that is running wild in American industry today. A lot of companies simply cannot afford to do business domestically.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

How many more sick days, personal days, and vacation days does an employee need? What employer can afford to pay for exorbitant benefits? Demands of unionized workers are increasing with no regard for what it will do to their own industry over the long-term.

Thats just one of the problems, however. Unions per se are not the problem. Unions that have become too entrenched and powerful, however, are most certainly one of the problems. And it's an epidemic that is running wild in American industry today. A lot of companies simply cannot afford to do business domestically.
Although I think New Zealalnd's law system is one big pants on head parade. I have to say that our Tribunal system is very, very good. (Thankyou labour!)

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Does this factory only produce Apple products? Were these people only working on Apple products? Seems premature to lay this at Apple's feet, IMHO, even if you discount any other motives besides working conditions.
Foxconn make their own motherboards, and they make a lot of consumer electronics for other companies.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd look first to the government that made it easier for businesses to off shore manufacturing then the unions. Just look at what happened to a lot of the manufacturing business when congress passed NAFTA. Manufacturing moved to canada and mexico because it was much cheaper to have it there.

Its not the unions fault that companies can pay someone 3,000 annual salary to build something in another country instead of choosing a US working making 30,000. Yeah unions have caused problems and excesses in benefits but in general they are no more to blame for our shrinking manufacturing base then the government and businesses themselves.