iPhone XS Max Fourth iPhone XS Max, third with scratches / chips out of the box.

faksnima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Just as the title states - anyone else have this problem? I went even so far as, with the most current one, opening up the plastic wrapper and doing a quick check at the store. I placed the plastic wrapping back on, put it in the box (where it as been sitting since Saturday evening), and left it as is until about 20 minutes ago when I was ready to unbox it and place it in a full body skin. As soon as I go to do so, I noticed this small scratch/chip in the top right hand corner that can only be viewed at certain lighting angles. I can barely feel it with my finger. The iPhone XS Max prior to this one had couple of similar marks, in the right middle corner, that could not be felt. This is extremely discouraging. Multiple units, brand new out of the box, with scratches/chips on the rear glass immediately after unboxing and not touching anything outside of their original wrapping. Could dust cause these issues? This is the most fragile (in terms of cosmetics) phone I've ever owned.

Since I bought it from Costco I have a 90 day return policy - but I took part of the trade-in rebate so I will likely swap for another when the rebate comes in. Needless to say, however, I'm not their most preferred person as I've exchanged it three times already.

Any thoughts? Perhaps someone could guide me to a potential polish? I remember reading somewhere that cesium oxide worked? I would hate to do another exchange. Thanks again!

lsmachado

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Just as the title states - anyone else have this problem? I went even so far as, with the most current one, opening up the plastic wrapper and doing a quick check at the store. I placed the plastic wrapping back on, put it in the box (where it as been sitting since Saturday evening), and left it as is until about 20 minutes ago when I was ready to unbox it and place it in a full body skin. As soon as I go to do so, I noticed this small scratch/chip in the top right hand corner that can only be viewed at certain lighting angles. I can barely feel it with my finger. The iPhone XS Max prior to this one had couple of similar marks, in the right middle corner, that could not be felt. This is extremely discouraging. Multiple units, brand new out of the box, with scratches/chips on the rear glass immediately after unboxing and not touching anything outside of their original wrapping. Could dust cause these issues? This is the most fragile (in terms of cosmetics) phone I've ever owned.

Since I bought it from Costco I have a 90 day return policy - but I took part of the trade-in rebate so I will likely swap for another when the rebate comes in. Needless to say, however, I'm not their most preferred person as I've exchanged it three times already.

Any thoughts? Perhaps someone could guide me to a potential polish? I remember reading somewhere that cesium oxide worked? I would hate to do another exchange. Thanks again!
<Sigh> Sorry for your issues. There is another thread similar to yours. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/im-on-my-16th-iphone-xs.2153390/

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If you want to remove scratches on the stainless steel bands, A Cape Cod cloth will work in that situation (And they are available on Amazon). Just make sure the cloth does not come in contact with the display, as that can scratch the Oleophobic coating, as it’s abrasive.

faksnima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
If you want to remove scratches on the stainless steel bands, A Cape Cod cloth will work in that situation (And they are available on Amazon). Just make sure the cloth does not come in contact with the display, as that can scratch the Oleophobic coating, as it’s abrasive.
The chip/scratches are on the glass. The first two iPhones had scratches on the bands. I have the space grey version, Cape cod or mothers mag isnt applicable.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The chip/scratches are on the glass. The first two iPhones had scratches on the bands. I have the space grey version, Cape cod or mothers mag isnt applicable.
If the glass is scratched or chipped, it’s permanent, there is nothing you can do. And yes, the space gray version cannot be used with a cape cod cloth or mothers mag polish, because it will remove the physical vapor deposition coating.

faksnima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Sigh, looks like it's going back yet again. I'll just wait til the rebate is in. Perhaps they will have forgotten my face in a couple of months too. I may buy a scratch removal kit from cellhelmet or some cesium oxide, mask the phone, and just work that 1/20th inch area.

Valbunny

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
Utah
Sigh, looks like it's going back yet again. I'll just wait til the rebate is in. Perhaps they will have forgotten my face in a couple of months too. I may buy a scratch removal kit from cellhelmet or some cesium oxide, mask the phone, and just work that 1/20th inch area.
Wow people really do things like that for a scratch? I mean, I have a random scratch on my iPhone X that mysteriously appeared one month after purchase, which is a little annoying. But I mean, I wouldn't buy a bunch of products to try and remove it. It will be gone soon enough, when I upgrade my phone in four years. Best of luck to you, hope you figure something out that works for you. :)

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Wow people really do things like that for a scratch? I mean, I have a random scratch on my iPhone X that mysteriously appeared one month after purchase, which is a little annoying. But I mean, I wouldn't buy a bunch of products to try and remove it. It will be gone soon enough, when I upgrade my phone in four years. Best of luck to you, hope you figure something out that works for you. :)
And those ‘Products’ for scratch removal have the potential to strip of the Oleophobic coating or cause a separation of the coating. (Assuming it hasn’t been worn off already.) And sometimes if scratches are Minimal enough on the display, as the Oleophobic coating wears off over time, so does the scratch in most cases. Otherwise, screen protectors conceal almost all scratches as well.

faksnima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I think you are allowed up to 16 returns. At least that is what I read in another thread...
Haha, good one :p.

The current phone has the chip on the rear glass. I'm not as worried about the oleophobic coating, but honestly I'm just going to wait for the rebate to kick in, not mess with anything with swapping out phones yet again, and then I'll do an exchange.

Valbunny

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
Utah
And those ‘Products’ for scratch removal have the potential to strip of the Oleophobic coating or cause a separation of the coating. (Assuming it hasn’t been worn off already.) And sometimes if scratches are Minimal enough on the display, as the Oleophobic coating wears off over time, so does the scratch in most cases. Otherwise, screen protectors conceal almost all scratches as well.
I was thinking of getting a screen protector to hide the scratch. But wasn't sure it would work, and the scratch is actually pretty hard to notice, I have to look for it, and the screen mostly needs to have a white background. I have the worst luck with screen protectors, so I just deal aha.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
I was thinking of getting a screen protector to hide the scratch. But wasn't sure it would work, and the scratch is actually pretty hard to notice, I have to look for it, and the screen mostly needs to have a white background. I have the worst luck with screen protectors, so I just deal aha.
Buy the BELKIN invisiglass screen protector which Apple installs in store with a machine that will hide your scratch and protect your screen from further scratches

Reactions: Valbunny