FOX #2 in News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 4, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not only is FOX #2 in news, The Daily Show is also better. As you know, ratings equal quality. Isn't that what they have been telling us? :p

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. 184550 Guest

I guess it would be if people living in the real world considered either of those two channels/ shows 'News'.

4. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

They both report the news to some extent, it's the commentary that's opinionated. (Plus the Daily Show has the fake reporters).

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I consider the daily show to be the best "news" available.

People often claim there are two types of news.

1.) "News"

Which is reportedly pure un-adulterated facts independent of the reporters views/opinions.

2.) "Commentary"

An examination of the meaning/intent which with an inevitable inclusion of personal opinion.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

People make the mistake of imagining that these two things are somehow separate. But historically this isn't the case all news contains to one degree or another an element of opinion.

Also a large part of what people call "news" is the presentation of the views of interested parties. A major part of almost every news program includes guest speakers or interviewees.

Considering these factors its more or less impossible to have "pure" news and further pure news. Further pure news is not particularly useful as most things involving human beings are inherently arbitrary to one degree or another.

So inherently analysis is a critical piece of "news". However intelligent analysis and examination is sadly lacking across the media world.

News programs have unfortunately become the soap boxes for many politicians who go on tv spout their opinions/intentions/allegations without significant amounts of supporting fact. While the newscasters fail to encourage or demand honesty or clarity from these guests.

On other networks, Fox and MSNBC come to mind the role of "news" shows have become the bully pulpits for partisan media personalities who spout their opinions again often without proper examination of the evidence.

Note* No evidence I have ever seen has made me believe MSNBC has breached the public trust for the media in an even remotely similar magnitude to that of FOX "News".

In comparison to much of the media John Stewart and the Daily Show is extremely well reasoned, well researched and generally logical in a way that almost none of our other media is.

John Stewart has done more to ensure that members of both the media and our government are held to some account for their actions than most of the "real news" sources combined in the last 5 years.

I would remind everyone of this piece which received widespread support across the political spectrum.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/jon...11-first-responders-bill-lame-as-fk-congress/

6. 184550 Guest

At least he knows JS is fake news. ;)

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

What is "fake" about the news Stewart presents?

The Onion is fake news, Stewart is real news comedy.

8. 184550 Guest

What is "fake" about the news FOX News presents?

The Onion is fake news, FOX News is real news comedy.

;)

I suppose it depends on how much of the Kool-Aid you drink.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Did I ever suggest that the News Fox presents is fake?

What Fox does is manipulate the facts to fit their narrative, there's nothing funny about it. It isn't meant to be funny, it's only funny in a black sense if your a logical and reasonably intelligent human being. Whats dangerous about Fox is that what they're doing isn't comedy. They're narrative encourages hyper partisan behavior, xenophobia, paranoia, and indirectly all the things those behaviors/emotions incur.

The news they present is quite real. Their "interpretation" is the bull.

At least their news is generally real, they have a habit of intentionally manipulating facts and occasionally blatantly lying in order to further their narrative.

This is an important thing to understand about Fox News.

And I learned much of it from watching and listening to John Stewart on The Daily Show :eek:.

Stewart is the best media man this country has at the moment. He might be a comedian but he's smart, direct, and in my opinion honorable and sincere (though these things are always hard to know).

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, there was that one instance where Fox reported an Onion story (something about a long, rambling e-mail from Obama) as though it were fact. In other words Fox's fact checking is not really sufficient to support the claim of presenting "news" (nevermind the f&b nonsense).

Of course, without Fox, JS would have to work a little harder to get material.

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately only a little harder, our politicians on both sides really make it to easy for him :rolleyes:.