Fox Network Refuses to Air Obama News Conference

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 27, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

This is the Fox network, not Fox News.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

interesting. Ive always loved the fox network, especially when it makes fun of its moronic cousin news network.

I wonder if this is significant at all.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I guess they are within their rights to show whatever they like or that they think will bring in the most advertising revenue. I seem to remember that they tend to back the other side as it were so maybe they've been told . . .

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have never understood why every network has to air it, I would rather 1 network is picked to run it and if people really want to watch they can find it. I don't see the point in having 15 networks showing the same coverage. I wonder how many people tune out when a press conference is on.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who cares? Let them air whatever they want in that time slot...

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We will see how FOX's ratings are the day after and then know if they made the right decision or not. It could be a smart move, the only network to show prime time programing for people that want something to watch.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Im sure we can all imagine the reaction from the Limbaugh types if NBC had decided not to air a major Bush presser though...

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is NBC going to show that is any better.:p A press conference is probably the best ratings they will get in a month.

The fact is there are a lot more places to see press conferences now than 20 years ago, we don't need all the networks showing them anymore.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course. But it would have been spun as "theliberalmedia being unpatriotic and hating Bush".

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Watch Lie to Me and then on commercial breaks flip to the press conference and apply what you've learned :3

11. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Fox is shallow, Obama is not. Watch somewhere else.

12. Dany M macrumors 6502

"Watch Lie to Me and then on commercial breaks flip to the press conference and apply what you've learned :3"

HA!:D

That was good!

13. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Fixed it for ya. ;)

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will say it is about damn time some network said enough is enough.

Obama has made a lot of new conferences in just a few short months. I can not think of any other president who went a crazy doing it. If you pull out 9/11 and the standard ones that every president makes. It almost seems like Obama has made more than any other president and if not he is quickly on his way to setting a new record.

People already are starting to get tried of hearing Obama on TV. All these news conferences on prime time only add to his image of being a talking head in an empty suit.

I having a feeling this will pay off well for fox and you can bet that the other companies will start following suite and turning Obama down for prime time request. He has made a lot and it boarding on too many. He has cried wolf to many times so to speak.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Like anyone that wanted to watch had a choice?

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that this seems very much like Fox and not politicaly movtivated.

From the artical

While the other networks are going to be eating a combine 10 million in losses over this prime time speak. Fox will be making quite a bit of money. it is a gamble to do during sweeps but it could easily pay of huge.

Also pulled

This leads me to believe if Obama keeps requesting them they will get turned down saying screw you. 10 mil for each one. that adds up. After this round they are up to 30 million ins losses over Obama news conferences.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

All I care about is if I'm going to miss LOST or not.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, god forbid the President talks to the people of this country and lets them know the state of things. It's not like we have 2 wars and a troubled economy that people might want to hear about :rolleyes:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly. We voted for more transparency this go around. You'd think people would enjoy being in on the loop.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Nobody is censoring anything. The question is with all the ways to get information do we need every network to broadcast it. Let people decide if they want to watch, if they don't give them something else to view. Are we supposed to shut down every network on cable when the president speaks? I think there is more then enough coverage, most of the time too much.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did anyone even say anything about forcing this on anyone or censoring?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is the point of this thread then? Fox doesn't want to air it so what, they are not required too.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, Lost is on ABC, so.... I wonder if my TiVO will figure it out though?

We don't need every network to broadcast it, but I'm a little concerned about a company using public airwaves refusing such a request. I don't think it's politically motivated since as Rodimus pointed out, it's been done before, but nonetheless, Fox operates off the largess of the public so it should tread carefully before refusing what I would consider a public service.

The rest of the networks, including FX, are not under this same structure and thus can show whatever they please.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol, way to just assume things.

This thread is merely to discuss the oddity of fox skipping the speech for a (rather boring IMO) primetime show.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some would argue that the speeches are boring and taking up airtime.