Fox New Twitter hacked - Claimed Obama shot dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Andeavor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Andeavor macrumors 6502

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/07/04/fox.hack/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

What do you think, a really bad prank or a really bad prank?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What I find odd about this situation is that some 8 hours later a global news corportation, possibly having to work with twitter, haven't managed to remove those tweets or issue an update on the situation. Or a statement on their twitter page.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's because it's wishful thinking on the part of Fox News.

4. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Now that's just nasty on your part.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That struck me as being somewhat odd too – one would think that they'd get the tweets removed asap.

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Grow up.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lee that is pretty low.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- they've been after him with lies from day one. They assassinated his character. I fail to see how they would shed a tear over his actual death.

Tell that to the people at Fox News. They don't seem to be capable of acting like responsible adults. They tell lie after lie and cry when they don't get their way.

I'm not to one going to Tea Party rallies with guns and such.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

so sinking to there level is acceptable? You should hold yourself to higher standards.

As for the tweets it appears they have been removed. I could think of several reason why it took them a while to get taken down.
    1. Happened in the middle of the night so no one awake had the athority to do it.
    2. Again happen in the middle of the night and they did not want them deleted until they had collected as much infomation as possible on who did it. Deleting them could easily remove a lot of the log files with it. And that needed to be confirmed with Twitter who again middle of the night so staff on hand is limited.
    3. Make sure the authorities have everything they needs.

Seems once everything was taken care of they removed them. Just they had to make sure all the information to catch who did it was saved first.

10. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Do you even see the irony in this post? Who's the "responsible adult" here claiming without any substantial proof that Fox wants the president assassinated? Despite Fox's many faults, it seems to me you're the one in character assassination mode here.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

My question is this: the group who claimed to be behind it, The Script Kiddies, set up their own Twitter account, but it was very quickly suspended. So why did the same not happen to LulzSec?

I honestly think there's a good case for LS being a government operation to ease in censorship by creating a false enemy.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't see the irony. Big difference in a "news" network that perverts the news on a daily basis and an individual pointing out in an sarcastic critique the bias of that news network. Besides, a person and a news network should be held in different standards.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

sure... "hacked"

what a bunch of clowns over at faux.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What are your thoughts on building 7?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That is not what Lee said. He said that Fox would probably not shed a tear if he was, which is an opinion.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? What am I lying about?

You really expect me to believe that the very people fueling the TEA Party would give a crap if the President was assassinated? You can think whatever you want about me, I could not care less. But if you expect me to believe that Fox News would really be all that upset over the assassination of Obama, I've got some lovely property for you in Florida, dirt cheap.

17. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

You're the one engaging in blind hatred towards and entire group of people. Generalizing about their character.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Worse than a bad prank; it is disgusting, tasteless, and profoundly ugly. And sick.

And, here I'm with leekohler; from the perspective of those on the deluded and deranged right, not only do I believe that there would be a profound lack of grief were such an outrage actually to happen, but I suspect that this sick prank appeals to a dark and dangerous place in the cellars of the mind where fantasy and delusion meet.

Given the discussion that has followed on the thread I have to ask whether or if such a tasteless "prank" had occurred during the Presidency of the unlamented G. W. Bush if the right would have quite so conspicuously silent on the matter, or whether their howls of outrage would have echoed across the Atlantic.

In recent times, I have been very struck by the vitriolic tone in which discussion and debate is expressed from the perspective of the right in the US; it is as though they deny the right of an elected President to rule as long as such a person is a Democrat. Barack Obama (and Bill Clinton before him, and indeed Jimmy Carter) all had a mandate and were treated, in public and in private, with withering and corrosive contempt by powerful forces in their own country who sought (and seek) to deny them that legitimacy. I cannot be alone in finding this tendency deeply disturbing. In the case of President Obama, the scarcely veiled loathing with which elements of the right regard him is no doubt added to by his temerity in embracing a black American identity with grace and dignity.

Cheers

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. same **** different day isn't it?... or is it broken record? I can't decide... :)

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Leekholer's statement struck me as somewhat tongue-in-cheek. They may not be popping campaign over there, but I can see joy in the hearts of many especially Faux. You believe they'd be genuinely saddened?

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Weiner was able to delete his accidental tweet within seconds, but Fox News leaves the hacked tweets up? Why? Are they not capable of hitting the delete button?

KingCrimson, who is the "entire group of people" that Lee is displaying blind hatred towards? It looks like he was talking about the people at Fox News.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As fuxed as FOX is, I don't think they left this up on purpose. Maybe an employee got fired and had the password to their twitter, made tweets and changed password so they couldn't access it.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wasn't "tongue-in-cheek" at all. He meant exactly what was said.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree. It may have been an exageration to say that the people at Fox news would wish death on anyone, but there is no doubt that they have been trying everything they can, including telling and retelling lies, to harm President Obama.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And I'm sure plenty of followers jumped for joy when they read the tweet.