Fox News and NPR: two sides of same coin?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spblat, Sep 20, 2012.

?

Fox News and NPR are:

1. Two sides of the same coin. One leans conservative, one leans liberal.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. No they're not. (Elaborate by posting below.)

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. My cat's breath smells like cat food.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

NPR and Fox are not two sides of the same coin. Discuss.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

NPR doesn't get it's talking point from a political party.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

NPR to Faux News is like apples to oranges. A rotten orange.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

NPR used to be somewhat liberal but has drifted rightward for some time now. Editorially, I would put them center-right -- pretty much alongside President Obama, who is also center-right, and far more authoritarian than traditional liberals appreciate. Fox News is largely right-wing-populist entertainment; it is in a different plane altogether than the traditional liberal-conservative editorial scale. One thing I will give NPR, though-- they make a serious attempt to keep editorializing and news content separate. Back in the good old days post-WWII, there was much more of an attempt by news organizations to be objective, but now, we cherish the few holdouts, like NPR.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

NPR has Andre Codrescu, what more do you need?

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Karl Kassel's voice on my home answering machine or voicemail. :D

BL.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Fail thread. If you want to argue or make a point, dont just post two extremely limited quotes with no actual context and expect to get a quality response.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is a hard one. Yes NPR is liberal and Fox News is conservative if that is what the OP is looking for here. I have listened to NPR in the past and found it boring and inaccurate much of the time, so stopped. I started listening to Fox News when I got a trial subscription of XM radio. I found them to be more conservative, but less boring and had more facts based information and less random opinions.

It was this message board that turned me on to Fox News. So much bashing of it made me tune in, and I found I liked it. Much less hate and yelling when reporting the news/topics...especially in interviews. They tend to show more respect for people with opposing views, so could get both sides without them taking (yelling) over each other. I am sure I will get blasted and told my opinion is wrong as I know Fox News and the Apple Message board don't mix. But I can't help what I like.

Edit: You will be glad to know that my subscription has expired and I can no longer listen to Fox News. I got XM trial and then a few days later read on these boards how bad it was and was able to tune in to see what it was all about. But now its gone.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a member of the Thought Police.

Your opinion is your opinion.

Who am I to say that opinion is "wrong"?

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Yes, if the coin is made out of Juan Williams.

I have my issues with NPR, but I often listen to it (at least in the background) up to six or seven hours in a given day.

The closest I come to FoxNews any more is FoxNews Sunday, but I'm unclear how tied that program is to FoxNews.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you saying that NPR is filled with hate and yelling and that they haveno respect for opposing views? Could you point me to the broadcasts that you found this in? Because I've never come across this.

15. vega07 macrumors 65816

No, you can't help what you like but you are woefully wrong and lost a lot of credibility.

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

There it is. I wondered how long it would be before I got the "lost all credibility" post.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Perhaps if you answered my questions, we could find out what you find so troubling about NPR?

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

While I disagree with you about FoxNews, I laughed when I read this quote of yours. Indeed, the "lost all credibility" card is one of my favorites that gets thrown around here. Like there is such thing as credibility in an anonymous internet forum. Anybody wanting or needing or giving or gaining or losing or caring about credibility in an anonymous internet forum makes me chuckle.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i very strongly disagree with the idea that NPR and fox news are even remotely comparable.
    it has nothing to do with likes or dislikes, but there is an oceanic gap of professionalism between the two organizations. One provides what are most likely the most objective news in the country (NPR) and well characterized, balanced opinions, the other is very openly promoting an agenda (FOX), often with such biased reporting that it qualifies more as fiction than as news.

20. vega07 macrumors 65816

I've listened to NPR for 7+ years and have yet to find unbalanced, angry, hateful journalism from them.

I only need to tune in to Fox News for 5 minutes to encounter angry and yelling anchors and correspondents reporting unbalanced and deceptive "news."

Why don't you show us these examples of NPR being hateful and unbalanced?

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

On top of this, there is no way anyone can call Fox News a credible news source when they had to sue to defend their right to LIE.

NPR at the very least holds themselves up to standards and integrity; something that Fox has not, nor ever will. Cases in point: sacking Juan Williams for his comment, let alone sacking Lisa Simeone for being a journalist while contributing money to the Democrat re-election campaign.

Standards? ethics? integrity? Fox News doesn't know how to spell those words, let alone know the meaning of them.

BL.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Tom and Ray Magliozzi have been known to yell a bit and express some strong views that might somehow be construed as "hateful". Then there is that other Saturday show that was alluded to above by bradl, that can get a little raucous. And there is an afternoon show where they broadcast unfiltered comments from random people in other countries. Of course, if you have too much exposure to the murdoch network, I can see where it might become somewhat difficult to distinguish between news and entertainment.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I don't really get the comparison of Fox News is to conservatism as NPR is to liberalism. This would imply or suggest that NPR is liberal. I have never thought it was, nor have I thought it was conservative. I've always just considered it... the news.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm confused. If one is heads and the other is tails, shouldn't that mean they are opposites? If FoxNews is tails, then MSNBC is tails on a different coin. NPR is heads because it isn't filled with hate, lies and yelling; it is filled with standards and integreity, and you can actually take what they say to the bank.

25. elistan macrumors 6502a

The metaphor "two sides of the same coin" refers to two things looking different, but in reality are the same thing. The heads side and tails side of a particular 1995 D penny... are still the same 1995 D penny.

So the OP's implication, I guess, is that while Fox and NRP look/sound different, they're really the same.