Fox News "Angry Black Man"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, go check out foxnews right now. There is a headline about a bus tour to capitalize on wall st. anger, but the word anger is massive, right next to a picture of President Obama.

Can anyone screen capture this? If that is not a play on "Angry Black Man" I don't know what is.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here you go. Where do get angry black man from? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I don't know, probably the same way I get "boy" from Limbaugh calling the President boy president or man-child, or maybe saying he lives a life of liesure means he is a lazy black man.

The giant ANGER? next to his picture wasn't a clue?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Anti-Wall St. anger is not "the angry black man". I have no clue where you're getting this but if you frequent Fox News then maybe I can see how.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Wow. You opened your front door lately and stepped out?

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, a headline with a giant out of proportion "Anger" next to the president isn't a dog whistle for the Fox News crowd?

Come on. You have to know better than that. If it wasn't intentional, then why was the word Anger so big? It's not even part of the story, it's "sentiment" in the body of the story.

Not to mention the story is about a bus tour not OWS.

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Are you even reading the article it's linking to?

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes I did, and I saw the same thing elsewhere, but they didn't make a point of making the word "anger" much larger than the rest of the headline.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Come on mcrain it is fake news. What do you expect honest news?

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I think they're doing exactly what you think they are, except I don't think they're race-baiting. I see what you're saying, and you're spot-on about the general tactic. And Limbaugh is such a gigantic racist it's actually charitable for you to suggest he couches it in code words, but in this case, I don't think race is what Fox News is playing at.

First, but perhaps not foremost, making ANGER huge is pure sensationalism.

Second, the main thing is that they are trying to smear Obama in a way that's just as sleazy as racism, but is actually pretty race-neutral politics as usual. People have observed that Obama doesn't look angry in that picture. Well, duh. That photo selection, juxtaposed with the dire ANGER headline, conveys a sense of insincerity. The subtext is that all the present unrest is just a game to him, and the spin is that he is exploiting it for political advantage. Think of how most publications would handle it: a story about a troubled America should be accompanied by a photo of a President looking troubled, but resolute. Same thing, but in reverse. Talk about troubled America, but show a smiling, carefree President. It's "off." It upsets people and they don't know quite why.

Third, having primed their readers with this message, liberal use of the words "anger," "rage" and so forth act on the level of simple association: when you see Obama, they want you to think anger. Not that he is angry (black or otherwise), but more just to link him with the emotion. Obama's image is of a spectrum between cool joviality and Spock-like seriousness. They wouldn't get very far trying to paint him as angry, because he obviously isn't (even when he should be). So the more likely associations are, first, that all the present anger in the country is his fault, and second, that we the readers should be angry at him.

Remember that although a lot of racist people might follow Fox News because they oppose a black president, Fox News' primary mission is political propaganda. The racists don't need help coming up with ridiculous racist things: they'll do it all by themselves, and the non-racists won't be swayed politically by racist implications. Unlike Limbaugh, Fox News is usually playing a more calculatedly dishonest game.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If anything, it should help President Obama's image. He has been criticized a lot during the last year for being too "cool" and "cerebral" and not "passionate" enough.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Are you serious dude? You're looking for racism where it doesn't exist. There is NOTHING racist about that headline. Stupid, maybe. Racist? No way.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For someone who hates Fox News you really seem to visit their site a lot.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I didn't get that from it either. On the contrary, their picturing Obama in front of a bus is a not-so-subtle reference to the way that blacks used to have to sit at the back of the bus. Or do you think it's just a coincidence that they ran this photo the same weekend that the MLK memorial was being dedicated?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Or maybe he was taking a bus tour of NC today.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why the hell are you watching fox news?

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

I think it's racist for the OP to make such a suggestion. No one is making this "angry black man" argument except for him. Sounds like an argument that Al Sharpton would concoct.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? We can't take a picture of a black man in front of the bus he will be riding around in for the next 3 days? Man, people just see what they want to see regardless of facts.:rolleyes:

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/17/potus-day-ahead-gettin-on-the-bus/?iref=allsearch

That is what the Illuminati want you to think.;)

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

His staffers made him sit in the back.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

NIce!

23. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

And here's why racism will never go away. Because people are FABRICATING racism out of nothing.

Honestly, some people don't want racism to go away because then they wouldn't have an excuse anymore

24. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

There are racial stereotypes. To say they don't exist is to be blind to the fact that these things exist.

One of those stereotypes is the "angry black man." Think I'm making that up? I'm not, here's an article from Carnegie written prior to the election.
    So, if there is an "angry black man" stereotype, and those who are opposed to the President intentionally highlight the word Anger, then I believe it is fair to call them out on it. If it was intentional, that's despicable. If it was inadvertant, then they could change it or try to avoid those types of potentially inflammatory situations.