Fox News calls in psychiatrist: Bill Maher has mental problems

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntelliUser, Jun 29, 2011.

1. IntelliUser, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I stopped watching when the psychiatrist was using Maher's stance on abortion as a reason why he has mental problems......:rolleyes:

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Faux loves throwing stones, loves destroying the character of its critics. This man could in no way, shape, or form have valid points, instead he must be mentally ill. LOL.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Does this psychiatrist have a history of misdiagnosis?

5. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they were just being fair and balanced. Like always!

6. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I don't think he has mental problems. He's an arrogant leftist prick, but that's not a mental illness. He's also extremely funny and intelligent and talented.

Psychiatrists willing to "diagnose" people who aren't their patients should have their licenses suspended.

7. IntelliUser thread starter macrumors 6502

If they have them in the first place.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FOX News spends an awful lot of time responding to comedians (Jon Stewart, Maher). How sad.

Any "doctor" who would go on TV and spout **** like that should have their medical license revoked.

9. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I'd say that's a pretty good indication of their credibility, wouldn't you?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I always wondered if a certain member allowed his religious beliefs to 'direct' his professional diagnosis.

If politicians have trouble keeping their church out of their service to their constituents, this phenomenon could be prevalent in other professions.

I remember a long-ago visit to the HeX's family doctor, to "discuss" birth control.

Yes, he was a devout Catholic.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

12. citizenzen Suspended

Frankly, I thought it was a great opportunity to continue zinging Bristol Palin in front of an audience who would rarely (if ever) tune into Bill Maher.

Thanks FAUX and Fiends.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just as big a problem as Faux, all the buffoons who lap it up.

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Try the off button. It's particularly satisfying.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Maybe if Bill believed in an invisible man in the sky who created everything in one week and sees everything we do, they would think he was sane.

16. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

no it's more satisfying to rage.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

"So, Dr Ablow, having never met or spoken to Bill Maher, what would your exact diagnosis of his condition be?"

"Mental problems."

"There you have it folks. A doctor said it, and doctors don't ever lie or distort the truth to their own ends, we all know that from such landmark cases as the Harold Shipman trial in the United Kingdom"

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Rather than a new thread - interesting article on propaganda at Fox

I have seen and discussed college course materials related to propaganda during WWII and how many of the same techniques are used at Fox News. This is an interesting article that expands on that idea.

I'm posting it here rather than creating another thread b/c this entire idea of using a psychiatrist to attack their opponent hits on at least one if not more of the 14 ways identified in the article.

Here are the 14 items. Each has a paragraph of discussion at the link above.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Those 14 really work well if your IQ is double digits or you think the Earth was made in 5,000 years.:p

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Pathologizing a political viewpoint merits being listed as a separate technique altogether. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how common this is on the left as well. It's not especially hard to find pop-psych analysis explaining how "conservatives" are constitutionally paranoid and xenophobic, have enlarged amygdala, react fearfully to novelty and so forth.

Attributing an opponent's position to mental illness in order to dismiss it is a generally common fallacy in and out of politics.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Really? I'm trying to remember a national "liberal leaning" media corporation hiring a shrink to attack someone of a contrary political view.

22. IntelliUser, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

IntelliUser thread starter macrumors 6502

Bill Maher commented on this in the latest episode and challenged him to come on the show.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That is, of course, far more specific than what I said while failing to address the point at all. Characterizing an opposing political view as mental illness, generally, is not particular to any side, and even when I share disagreement with the viewpoint, I am equally offended by this tactic no matter who applies it.

24. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Well according to Faux I also have a mental illness. I don’t feel that I have to have kids and find a belief in god to be silly