Fox News: FCC says its ok to lie...its just policy not to!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Saw this on digg, read it, and barfed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Akre

Ill never believe the news again. FoxNews or otherwise if this is how the FCC conducts itself.

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Yep. That's the main reason why I don't listen to Fox News.

BTW, that documentary (The Corporation) is really good.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

At least the BBC is a reasonable news source :).

4. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

This isn't "Fox News" the cable network, this is a local station owned by the Fox network.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its much better than Fox News but its not that good ;).

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Probably one of the best televised news channels. Al Jazeera is pretty good too as it shows news stories that most of the others ignore.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

this more brings to light how little truth is in all the media.

Blame fox but it also proves that media is nothing more than lairs as well.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm sorry, but with that kind of logical leap should require coordinates from the CIC.

The ruling from the Florida Court was a legal loophole wherein the FCC policy did not have the rule of law and therefore Akre and Wilson couldn't be protected by the Florida whistleblower law.

This doesn't mean that the media can lie, it means that the FCC's policy against such an act doesn't have the rule of law necessary to protect people under the whistleblower law. This is a problem and furthermore, it should act as a warning that FOX News—either the Florida branch or the central company—are willing to distort stories in order to satisfy advertisers like Monsanto.

But, to argue that "The Media" lies is equally dangerous. There are thousands of people out there reporting on good stories, the problem is too much power has been focused on too few and agencies that knowingly distort or otherwise manipulate the news, like Fox News, are supported with ratings and advertising dollars.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you believe that our media as a whole as not degreeded to that point then something is wrong.

Look at the news and then look how they leave out key pieces of information to make it look bad. The media is in things to make money. Fox may be bad but so are NBC and others. They all twist the truth to make money.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You keep saying the media, or "our media as a whole" and then you reference just one contingent of the media. Television media is very large and important, but its arguably the last place where the real story is told. Rather, newspapers (may they rest in peace), magazines, and other iterations of long-format journalism are what really matters.
    Television journalism has always been poor, rating-driven and time-constrained the average news story on TV is mostly sensationalism with facts added in like salt in a soup.

Fox is bad and so is NBC, ABC, and the rest of the alphabet outfit. But, you didn't say television news, you said media and that's where I simply disagree.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with TV news is that they only do sound bites or 5 minute interviews and never dig into the issue. Look at MSNBC or Fox or CNN. They interview someone for 3 minutes and never let the person get a word in then take a break and move on to something else.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Plus, you have the flashing graphics framing the person and the news crawl and the bottom. The host is more interested in talking about their opinion, the subject is often ill-prepared, and the interview is short enough to fit between the commercial for Bounty paper-towels and Magic Jack.

And, the creation of the 24-hour news cycle means we have 'journalists' endlessly rambling without any real information. It's the equivalent of letting someone eat an apple and then listening to them talk about that apple for an hour.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This seems indicated by the article, but I'm still a bit skeptical. If an affiliate was in trouble, it's not impossible that the mother company would be willing to send in lawyers and funding to defeat such a legal challenge. News Corp certainly had reason to.

There have been other troubling stories about the Fox News Channel manipulating stories in order to serve a political agenda, so I'm very curious about how this all came about.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You didn't mention the liberal/Obama bias that MSNBC/NBC, and CNN have. They've done their fair share of manipulation.

Don

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The stories about Fox News indicated a conscious attempt to distort or otherwise reframe stories to the reporters' chagrin to promote a specific message. Thus far, there seem to be little indication of a similar command-and-control system at either CNN or MSNBC/NBC. However, my exclusion of them doesn't change my point one iota. I'm not making a comparison between them, rather I'm thinking aloud about how News Corp could or could not be involved in the defense of its affiliate.

Furthermore, I think your reframing of the argument towards media bias is a red herring. What's important is how the FCC can enforce the "truth-telling" of a particular news organization and it appears that this enforcement may be toothless.

16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Sources?

I would love some proof of manipulation on the level of Fox News.

17. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

The couple sued the parent company (Fox), not the local station that actually fired them. Fox doesn't have a whole lot of other options than to defend the suit that was brought against them.

It is also worth noting that this event happened in 1997, does anyone seriously believe that this is somehow evidence of Fox News spreading false information?

While the commentary on the Fox News Channel is heavily biased, the news reporting itself, while it may be selective, is not going to be based on flat-out lies, known in advance to be false.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which one of these sources is the most biased and least reliable ;)?

Edit: Also this graph which is always of interest in a fox news mentioning thread.

Attached Files:

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sure, they've done there share of manipulation, but none of them are liberal bias. Remember that every news source is bias. Thinking anything different is just naive.

Given that the Times is owned by Murdoch and he hates the BBC, the Times sources should be instantly dismissed.

And in the case of the Daily Mail/Independent. In that case it is probable that they were fighting for the principle and the BBC won the case in question.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, but neither is the news reporting in say: China, Russia and Vietnam.

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The whole point of the BBC (and it is contained within its mandate) is that it is not biased towards any one political party, because it is effectively funded by whichever one is in power.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It could. The people who worked for Fox News or its affiliate could continue to work there, they could even have been promoted into the higher echelon of the company. Just because the firings happened in 1997 doesn't mean that Fox isn't continuing the same policies; it doesn't mean they are either. The issue at hand is that in 1997 two reporters were fired because they refused to use knowingly false statements, these reporters won their case, but lost when News Corp appealed the decision in 2000.

The OP was incorrect, I think in framing the issue this way, but the court's ruling illustrates that knowingly producing false statements is not prosecutable by law, but rather by FCC policy and those who are fired for whistleblowing are not protected by Florida's whistleblower law.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would too.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think that graph needs a bit of explaining...