Fox News Funnies: Greta pissed at lazy NASA engineers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jun 2, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

More comedy gold from the fair and balanced folks over at Fox News. Greta Van Susteren unleashed a Twitter torrent of rage at lazy, incompetent NASA engineers for taking a full eight months to finally get around to releasing images from New Horizon's Pluto flyby

[​IMG]

Sort of the perfect storm of Foxiness in all that: Deep-seated, thorough-going ignorance of the fundamental physics involved with deep-space communication. A total lack of curiosity; and an absence of the sort of judgement that would have suggested a little research before going on Twitter. Knee jerk response: Incompetent government bureaucrats wasting our tax dollars again.

BTW: In case anyone does wonder why it takes so long to transfer high-resolution digital images from beyond the edge of the solar system, your friends at Gawker provide a helpful precis here. (Short answer, its because the uplink transmits at a speed considerably slower than wonky dialup modems.)

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

She works at Fox, news organizations tend to have people on staff that know these things or at the very least know how to google.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

A slow news day for arrogant, superior Lefists to feed upon.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That's rich.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they prioritized high res images first they likely could have got them earlier, I don't think that would have been a good decision though.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd expect nothing less from a network that can't even count.

[​IMG]

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's almost as funny as that liberal CNN anchor who wondered if global warming caused the near-Earth flyby of asteroid 2012 DA14.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

But will Trump visit all 57 states?

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Greta Van Susteren, whoever she is, doesn't know what she doesn't know. It is probably in her job description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

10. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Its instructive how the usual suspects always manage to miss the point.

The fact of the matter is there is nothing wrong with not knowing the answer to something. Its OK to sometimes get your facts wrong. In fact, the more educated and intelligent a person is - the more that person tends to realize how much he or she doesn't know.

Because wondering why it does take months to get pictures back from a deep space probe is a very valid question. And making the effort to find out, going to the right sources, is an incredibly enriching experience. The layperson doing so will begin to have a better understanding of the physics involved; the mathematics behind the geometry of a high-gain antenna. The mission-management decision tree that NASA uses to decide which data to send back, at which point in the flyby timeline. The opportunities NASA has for further examination of Kuiper-belt objects if it can get the necessary funding. And the more you look, the more you come to appreciate the incredible talent, dedication, and achievement of NASA, and the worldwide scientific community, that led to the New Horizon flyby in the first place.

The difference, and the problem, is that Greta Van Susteren doesn't really ask the question. Instead she immediately jumps to a conclusion based, not so much on her ignorance of communications technology, but on her political prejudice. Rather than ask the question - Van Susteren makes the statement that NASA engineers (like all Government employees) are simply wasting taxpayer dollars by earning a paycheck. The fact that she probably used a smartphone, reliant on a host of NASA-sourced technologies (such as GPS) to do so, is just another bit of irony totally lost on an empty-headed Trump shill masquerading a a journalist.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, how "arrogant" to expect people to know facts before opening their mouth and criticizing others. :rolleyes:

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The only arrogance is stupid morons like Greta opening their mouths and trying to score political points about a topic when they have zero clue what the **** they're talking about.

Not a surprise that righties rush to excuse or distract from this. Birds of a feather after all...

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The point is that my contribution was the best of this entire thread. A liberal wondering if asteroids are caused by global warming. That's too rich. Next they'll blame the Perseids on Exxon.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Only in your head.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Well, yeah. Cuz we know how physics work.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What can you expect from an anti-science propaganda organization? The arrogance of ignorance, which is rampant in conservative corners really stands out in this case

At least you understand you position in the intellectual hierarchy. Work harder, don't begrudge your betters, lol. :D

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Or grasp basic geography.
    [​IMG]

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

I refer you to the "Hillary coughs a lot" thread.

19. steve knight, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

when compared to fox news my dog looks superior. sad to see the same deflection and dodging going on for fox news and we see for trump.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sure, a liberal, or, a conservative, or, an independent, or, a libertarian, or a nothing could say something stupid. Sample size one. But, you're making the same mistake. You're confusing yet another instance out of multitudes of instances where a Fox News person says something stupid, with one instance from CNN. If you want to compare averages, go ahead. Find a study comparing average stupidity on CNN to average stupidity on Fox. Maybe you could do a study yourself -- it will keep you very busy for a while. Cable news is not a very enlightening place to hang out.

In the meantime, I don't know who that CNN anchor is. How do you know she is a liberal? And, if she is-- so what? At a gym I used to go to until recently, both CNN and Fox news were on all the time. CNN commentators/analysts/pundits/whatever were pretty dang conservative. I'm guessing it hasn't changed. CNN was less overtly pro-Republican, but, that hardly made it liberal.

MSNBC looked a little bit slightly liberal occasionally, at least in comparison to CNN and Fox. Is there an actual liberal cable news channel? What is it? My conclusion is that most liberals have better things to do than watch cable news. As I said, these channels were already on at the gym, or, I wouldn't have seen them myself. At my current gym, baseball is more likely to be on, and, that suits me fine.