Fox News Intends to File Amicus Brief in Support of CNN/Acosta v WH Lawsuit

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
He's even losing Fox News and after the midterm losses he's flipped his lid. Everyone in the WH is afraid of him right now, he's going off on all his staff (both junior and senior) and about to fire half of them. It's as if he thinks everyone from his rallies are the only people who vote, he turns a blind eye to anyone who doesn't show him 100% respect and bow to him.

Now he's seeing the reality first hand and it stings, both Obama and Bush before him faced midterm losses and it hit them hard as well. We'll have to see how much Trump is willing to put it behind him and move on.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Irrespective of who does and does not jump on board, I hope the case loses.
Now if the media actually reported news, not infotainment ....
You're overgeneralizing. The media does report news. Trump is infotainment news. He's also a liar. And while Acosta should have let it go - Trump behaved inappropriately well before Acosta went further than he should have.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
Why do you hope CNN loses? Do you think that legally CNN should lose?
Yes. The media is there by invitation. Nothing in the 1st or other says that it has to be open. The respective "journalists" are by allowance.
[doublepost=1542233146][/doublepost]
You're overgeneralizing. The media does report news. Trump is infotainment news. He's also a liar. And while Acosta should have let it go - Trump behaved inappropriately well before Acosta went further than he should have.
Not really. So many of the "questions" are so adversarial, worded to entice poor responses, or just use untrue facts I stopped watching it. Most are looking for that "OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!" item they can do a "National Enquirer" front page spin on.

The few reporters I still find even marginally credible in that setting I garner their reporting from other sources after the fact.

PDT tells lies. Great. Report on it. I don't need the "Infotainment Super Duper Pooper Spin" wrapping it like a freaking Egyptian mummy. Lies about lies don't do it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgguy and ucfgrad93

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes. The media is there by invitation. Nothing in the 1st or other says that it has to be open. The respective "journalists" are by allowance.
Oh. Quotes. OK. I'll play. "president"

Semantically you may be correct. But it's a crappy argument to defend Trump and his behavior. He was and continues to define crossing the line and lowering the bar

Reactions: aristobrat

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Hope they keep the clown banned.. CNN can send someone else who won't assault a 90 pound female intern and make a mockery of the briefings and press conferences...

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Why do you hope CNN loses? Do you think that legally CNN should lose?
CNN isn't being denied a spot in the press briefing, Jim Acosta is. I think that CNN is arguing that once you have a press pass, it is yours forever. Acosta isn't entitled a press pass, there is limited space and the White House should decide who is allowed to attend. There is absolutely no 1st Amendment issue here.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012

CNN isn't being denied a spot in the press briefing, Jim Acosta is. I think that CNN is arguing that once you have a press pass, it is yours forever. Acosta isn't entitled a press pass, there is limited space and the White House should decide who is allowed to attend. There is absolutely no 1st Amendment issue here.
I don't have enough information on which to form a definitive opinion. I'm only vaguely aware of the incident which supposedly prompted Mr. Acosta's suspension. Frankly, I haven't cared enough to pay much attention as such things are - to my mind - mostly just noise. So I'm not taking a position on whether President Trump actually did violate the Constitution in this case.

That said, there certainly could be a First Amendment issue here. The question is, why (actually) was Mr. Acosta suspended? It's true that the White House doesn't have to let everyone into press briefings (or whatever Mr. Acosta is suspended from). That would be implausible. But, at the same time, the government (to include the President or other White House staff) can't exclude particular people based on their speech - e.g., because of the viewpoints they've expressed, or because they've been critical of the President, or because the White House doesn't like the questions they ask. In deciding who does or doesn't get access, the government has to - at a minimum - be viewpoint neutral. It may establish rules, but those rules have to be - at a minimum - viewpoint neutral.

We aren't talking about campaign events where the President might be able to exclude people based on their speech or their viewpoints. We're talking about government action here. The government isn't allowed to punish people based on their protected speech. It also isn't, generally speaking, allowed to threaten to take harmful actions against people (e.g., to implement certain regulations which might harm them or to deny them access to press briefings) based on their protected speech.

So there's a factual question to be answered (by, e.g., a court which might hear this case)... Why was Mr. Acosta suspended?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Hope they keep the clown banned.. CNN can send someone else who won't assault a 90 pound female intern and make a mockery of the briefings and press conferences...
If that was assault, then I've assaulted and been the victim of assault a lot more in my life than I realize.

Snowflakes, easily offended, etc... When the police shoot and kill someone who is told to reach for their ID and does so, "eh, tragic accident". Some forearms or wrists graze each other and its an assault.

I refuse to believe people on the right honestly think that was an "assault" in any sense of the word.

*Here's a gif of Melania viciously assaulting her husband in a public display of spousal abuse;

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Under normal circumstances I think the media entity should decide who they send but when that person is constantly dispurtiive, combative, grandstanding and acting like a 5-year-old who's sibling got 3 less French Fries than they did, then the WH should be allowed to send him/her packing....

Hopefully they stick by it and that clown remains barred....

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfgrad93 and mgguy

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Irrespective of who does and does not jump on board, I hope the case loses.
Now if the media actually reported news, not infotainment ....
And if the president could actually be relied on for facts instead of constantly lying...

BTW if you don't like a particular media outlet you don't have to watch, right?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh please - she wasn't ASSAULTED. That's just ridiculous.

The briefings and press conferences are already a mockery given that POTUS lies as if it's going out of style. Kana

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
Oh. Quotes. OK. I'll play. "president"

Semantically you may be correct. But it's a crappy argument to defend Trump and his behavior. He was and continues to define crossing the line and lowering the bar
For this case I don’t give a rat’s ass about PDT tall tales. That is irrespective.
I count on reporters / journalists to make intelligent inquiries and ask sensible questions.
Acosta should change his name to Richard Cranium.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
If the other outlets REALLY cared and thought this was a big issue they would all boycott ALL future press briefings but we know they won't.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
If that was assault, then I've assaulted and been the victim of assault a lot more in my life than I realize.

Snowflakes, easily offended, etc... When the police shoot and kill someone who is told to reach for their ID and does so, "eh, tragic accident". Some forearms or wrists graze each other and its an assault.

I refuse to believe people on the right honestly think that was an "assault" in any sense of the word.

*Here's a gif of Melania viciously assaulting her husband in a public display of spousal abuse;
Assault!!!!! LOL
Trumpers acting like they care about women. Isn't that so funny?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
This isn't the first time Fox has stood up for CNN or vice-versa. While these networks eat each other on television, they rely on each other having access to our most important people in government. Mostly because of profit. CNN's Acosta being banned or even CNN being banned sets forth dangerous precedent. Who's to say the next Democrat to hold office won't simply ban Fox and other conservative (and I use that word lightly) outlets simply because they could and would? Or put pressure on those networks? CNN flipped their **** when the Obama Administration reprimanded Fox news.

At the end of the day, Trump won't be in office in the future so they're just all looking out for their bottom dollar. Money speaks more than a 71-year-old coot.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
He's even losing Fox News and after the midterm losses he's flipped his lid. Everyone in the WH is afraid of him right now, he's going off on all his staff (both junior and senior) and about to fire half of them. It's as if he thinks everyone from his rallies are the only people who vote, he turns a blind eye to anyone who doesn't show him 100% respect and bow to him.

Now he's seeing the reality first hand and it stings, both Obama and Bush before him faced midterm losses and it hit them hard as well. We'll have to see how much Trump is willing to put it behind him and move on.
Trump has zero chance of using a team and playing his part in crafting a message that can be sold to a wider audience, like Bush and Obama did. He just rants and raves while everyone of his apologists scramble to desperately explain what "he really meant".

Reactions: GermanSuplex

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Oh, it’s a space problem, is it? Now it all seems perfectly reasonable.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For this case I don’t give a rat’s ass about PDT tall tales. That is irrespective.
I count on reporters / journalists to make intelligent inquiries and ask sensible questions.
Acosta should change his name to Richard Cranium.
Ok. What about Acosta's questions were not intelligent or sensible?

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No one was assaulted except Acosta. How disengenuous of you to argue the opposite.
[doublepost=1542287287][/doublepost]

This is not the first time she has pushed his hand away in public, which seems to reveal the nature of their relationship. At least she is not completely cowed by her bully of a husband.