Fox News...not so biased?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I just stumbled across this little tidbit (I'll post in full for the benefit of the lazy ;)):

By Mary Kate Cary, Thomas Jefferson Street blog [From US News & World Report]

(Of significance is the note on her page that she is a "former White House speechwriter for President George H.W. Bush")

One comment and several criticisms:

Comment: She has a point, to a certain extent. I do not want to see news networks become so focused on attacking their media/political opponents that they become partisan propaganda machines. MSNBC and Fox are both in serious danger of going down that road.

Criticisms: To start with, Comparing Obama to Mcain is no longer as relevant as it was during the election. A better measure of bias would be to compare reactions to Obama with reactions to Congressional (GOP) minority leaders who are spearheading conservative political moves. McCain is really not in that category as much as other people like John Boehner.

Secondly, my criticisms of Fox news fall most heavily on their rabble-rousing prime time shows involving Bill O' Reilly, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity. The above article does not factor these guys in.

She's really not giving the whole picture.

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

I don't know, maybe the difference in negative stories is because one candidate was more clumsy in there campaign than the other. Although I agree there is bias, how can you acurately measure the difference unless you had identitcal candidates with identitcal campaigns?

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hey, thanks for the good laugh. I read the title of your thread and nearly fell out of my chair!

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fox news isn't too bad until glen beck comes on, after that its pretty much a shitfest until o'reilly get done. During the morning/afternoon they have quite a few senators on etc.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I had a roomate while in the hospital that watched FOX news 29 hours straight. In that time id say that 90% of the stories concentrated on Obama and 100% of those stories were negative. Durring those stories the "news" anchors repeatedly made numerous jokes about Obama like frat boys at a keg party.

Fox news is a joke 100% of the time.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've a problem with people who simplistically measure negative news coverage and determine that a 50-50 split means the network is fair.

Yes, networks can err in their fairness to a candidate. Anyone remember the pasting Al Gore took because the Bushies, Limbaugh and Fox painted him as a congenital liar and the media kept repeating the false accusation until it stuck?

But there are going to be times when negative coverage won't be 50-50. Let's face it, everyone agrees Obama's people ran a generally well-focused campaign, while McCain's featured a new disaster almost every day. The networks would have to do some considerable bending of facts to allot the same amount of negative coverage to both men.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This isn't even close to being accurate.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The media leaning to the left brushed over quite a few negative issues they could have covered about Obama, there's no disputing this. The liberal media and Obama were on a honeymoon together.

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When can I start the thread:

Chinese official media... not so biased?

?

Because it makes far more sense than this one.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed:
    (source)

(source)

All positive on MSNBC on Obama.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, this is just not true. Every network is biased, the unique problem with Fox News is the extremes that their anchors go to and the lack of restrain they exhibit.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Are you suggesting that i am lying?

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just that you are fair and balanced.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL. I was trying to reel you in...

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes.

17. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

These are dumb statistics in my opinion. Does being balanced mean hating on both candidates for equal amounts of time? What if a candidate does more to deserve ridicule?

P-Worm

18. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Exactly my point. Her defined conditions representing bias and objectivity are flawed.

19. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Obama did an awful lot to deserve ridicule. Liberals couldn't take it, though. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that Fox talk shows are conservative. That's because Fox has pretty much the only conservative talk shows. But if you look at just the news channels, they actually are quite balanced, presenting both sides of the story.

20. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

They're movement conservative. There really is a huge difference.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What kind of issues? I'm trying to think of anything the Obama camp did that was as bad as Palin's almost daily gaffes, or Joe the Plumber, or David Letterman catching McCain in a lie about the latter racing back to Washington.

Obama had things like Ayers and Wright, but those were guilt-by-association issues trumped up by other people, not self-inflicted wounds like McCain's.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You have obviously drunken the kool-ade.

Anyone who wishes can see for themselves just by watching the network for one day... ;)

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think I matt-scotted this one :p.

24. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Those are *opinion* shows. Why do you want to prevent people from expressing their opinions? They are no more "rabble rousing" than those left-wing wackos like ACLU, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc. You're absolutely right though - put aside the opinion shows, and the news reporting is remarkably similar to what you get on other channels.

And for the fox haters: The whole "freedom of the press" thing is just completely lost on most you folks. I bet most of you "anti-fox" people would shut down that channel and prevent them from broadcasting, if you had the power to do so. Just like a dictator running a fascist regime, determined to stamp out all dissidents. It's embarrassing really, this unnatural hatred you harbor. For a tv station.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What would you call this? Second hand anecdotal evidence?

It might help if you added "neighbor's dog's cousin" somewhere in there. lol