Fox News, the first US "state television" channel?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, May 7, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Everyone already knows that Trump hates the free media, but he's now borrowing a page from the Stalinist regimes and the People's Republic of China. "You must only watch our official State TV channel!" I'm sure the Trump lovers must be sooooo happy the country is heading in this direction. o_O

FDA: US federal staff being forced to watch Fox News instead of CNN

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I agree this is a bit ridiculous. However, was it also "Stalinist" when they were "forced" to watch CNN before?

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Sure it would. But do you have a source? I'd also agree (if you could prove) that had Barrack Obama "forced" federal employees to only watch the BET channel and to block out all other non-black channels, it would have been Stalinist as well.

I mean, same thing, if Governor Arnold Schwarzzenegger had forced all Californians (during his term as Governor) to only watch Terminator movies and to ban/censor all other competing Sci-Fi movies, it would still be Stalinist suppression. Although probably a fairly enjoyable form of suppression, since the first 2 Terminator movies were very good and entertaining. But it's Stalinist-level suppression just the same.

But this move coming from the Trump White House? It surprises no one.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Well CNN was being shown on the TVs and the person in the email says that she can't change the channel, so I guess they were "forced" in a way. I don't really think this is worthy of a story. CNN was on and they tend to lean left. FoxNews is now on and they tend to lean right.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It is stupid. However, it is not all FDA facilities, just one campus. My buddy had a similar issue at a different FDA office, but FOX wasn't allowed. Only MSNBC and CNN.

6. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

While I agree it's not a "big deal" yet, that it may be part of a trending pattern (Trump WH hostile to free media) is the potential to be a huge problem for American democracy in the long term. I say it's not yet a big deal simply because any Federal employees probably only watch TV during lunch breaks, downtimes, etc. And they can always go home and are free to watch any other channel that is a rival to Fox.

If the American citizenry is lax and is un-opposed to this "trend" now, what's to stop an increasingly authoritarian regime from imposing these "watching limitations" to the broader public in the future? And in the farther future, what's next? The US Government telling you which websites you are allowed to view and which ones should be blocked out? Oh wait…. Communist China (and Great Firewall) does this already, they do it so very well.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why are they watching TV all day in the first place.

8. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

A serious question for you: are you honestly concerned about that? Do you seriously have a concern that it could happen or are you just saying it because you dislike Trump?

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Hilarious to watch the Infowars-ing of the Left. lol

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Were they?

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

"Forced" in quotes. It was on the TV and apparently they could not change the channel. So it's not like they were tied down with their eyes pried open, but they were about as "forced" to watch CNN as they are to watch FoxNews.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

They watch TV while at work?? ;)

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Must be nice. Where I work we don't even get a window

14. zin Suspended

So they were forced to watch CNN before?

I thought the Eighth Amendment prohibited cruel and unusual punishments.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

My shop is like batmans cave concrete overhead and walls.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Given that this is the Trump administration, I am surprised the FDA workers are not forced to watch RT.

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

They're federal employees.

18. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

As O’Brien passed the telescreen a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.
    Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.
    ‘You can turn it off!’ he said.
    ‘Yes,’ said O’Brien, ‘we can turn it off. We have that privilege.’

George Orwell, 1984

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, there is a fair chance FOX will become another CNN soon enough...so...

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

22. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

And 95% Israeli? :p

23. webbuzz, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nope, I don't think so.

24. jerwin macrumors 68000

I guess it's a cliche for TVs in federal office buildings to be tuned to a news station with the sound off and captioning on. Got to be able to react to political events in real time. (If it's promulgated on Veep and Alpha House, it must be true, right?)

This is what the FDA TV looks like.

[​IMG]

Could be worse. Could be CNN Airport.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a tempest in a teapot.

At this point, we have accepted as a culture the idea that news-gathering is ideological.

I don't accept it, but I also think the VMAs are stupid and the Kardashians are the most boring people on Earth—in other words, no one listens to me.

So, under this framework, of course the televisions at the FDA would be set to the current ideological bent. And, I'm sure someday they'll be changed back.

But, this accepts the paradigm that news networks should be ideological "news" stations mostly occupied by talking heads in studios rather than real journalists doing the dangerous and difficult work of news-gathering. It's a tiger trap and now that the culture has accepted this tiger trap, we shouldn't be surprised that our view is increasingly myopic, fixed only on the sky above and the dirt around us.