Fox News writer says US Olympic team’s new motto is ‘Darker, Gayer, Different’.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...ace-winner.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Unless it’s changed overnight, the motto of the Olympics, since 1894, has been “Faster, Higher, Stronger.” It appears the U.S. Olympic Committee would like to change that to “Darker, Gayer, Different.” If your goal is to win medals, that won’t work.

A USOC official was quoted this week expressing pride (what else?) about taking the most diverse U.S. squad ever to the Winter Olympics. That was followed by a, frankly, embarrassing laundry list of how many African-Americans, Asians and openly gay athletes are on this year’s U.S. team. No sport that we are aware of awards points – or medals – for skin color or sexual orientation.

For the current USOC, a dream team should look more like the general population. So, while uncomfortable, the question probably needs to be asked: were our Olympians selected because they’re the best at what they do, or because they’re the best publicity for our current obsession with having one each from Column A, B and C?

I don’t think anyone should be chosen for something just because of their skin color or sexual orientation. But I’m not aware of any evidence that’s how this team was chosen. And saying the team should look more like the general population is a dog whistle. We all know what he means: should look more white. These people aren’t even subtle with their dog whistles anymore. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised Fox News would run sn opinion piece like this.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Is it so unfathomable that the team chosen was, indeed, the best?

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is what you get from racists. I imagine the same questions were raised when the first black man was given a slot in Major League Baseball, oblivious to the fact that many of these minority athletes have top notch if not superior skills. :oops: The only time choosing might be tricky is when you have several equally qualified athletes with a limited number of slots. In this case I would be supporting diversity as a guiding principle, not any kind of privilege based on ethninticity.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Darker, gayer, different? Sounds like a good party.

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Why does this even come up? Choose the best regardless of anything. I never understand the need we have for title segregation. Can't we just all be Americans.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Sure. We just happen to be pretty diverse in the USA, increasingly so in every walk of life, not just in sports. This is old news by now but it's not fake news so no wonder Fox hasn't picked up on it yet.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The assumption in this article is that previous Olympic committees were race-blind, and didn't care about sexual orientation. Which is laughable on its face.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm reminded of a humorous American Dad quote where Stan is talking about a billboard he saw advertising local news: "Am I supposed to believe that the city's five best reporters just happen to be from five different races?"

I don't believe in diversity at the expense of choosing the best. I don't believe in racial quotas. Part of the reason why I didn't understand the "Oscars so white" controversy. I don't understand why a member of a minority would want such a thing.

But on the flip side, I don't sympathize with people who want things "more white". If the team happens to be more diverse, then accept it and move on.

Methinks Fox News is just trying to stir **** up. Like they always do.

9. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

"Darker, grayer, different" Sounds like more anti-straight-white propaganda to me. Stop trying to change history.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The point of the "Oscars so white" controversy is that people questioned whether a historically white guild was choosing the best films or films that just happened to appeal to most guild voters. It's a difficult question, but considering how few black (not to mention Latino, or Asian) actors, directors, producers, etc. have won Oscars, it doesn't look good.

Remember that winter events often require expensive technology to compete, so this tends to cut out people who historically been poor.

And, it's clear that the U.S. Olympic committee wants to celebrate diversity because they're trying to drum up viewers, not because they've gamed the system. They do want to win gold as much as possible.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    That phrase was invented by a guy at Fox News.

The U.S. Olympic Committee motto remains "faster, higher, stronger."

11. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Diversity in America = less White.. Am I wrong here? Why don't we push for diversity in Asia or Africa? Why only in America & Europe?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    Good, it's been that for over 110 years! Would be wrong to change it!

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think that the makeup of the US Olympic team is today the result of larger changes to our society.

If there are more gay or lesbian athletes on today's team than in the past, then that is probably just a reflection of the fact that previous teams had gay and lesbian athletes who were closeted.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Dream team should look like whoever is best. Not sure about winter Olympics but during summer if the US dream team is all white (ie following demographic distribution) you are coming home with less medals.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't even understand the equation.

Rephrase. I don't understand what you're talking about.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Who's "we", TC? It's not my business what African countries do about diversity. Many countries outside the West are diverse, even if they are not diverse in the way we think. A country like Kenya contains many ethnic groups with different languages and cultures. The fact that those different ethnic groups would all fall under the umbrella "black" in the West is not their problem.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I didn't get an invite! Did you?

17. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

So Kenya is fractured into may ethnic groups, languages, and cultures... That's why Kenya is a craphole Country. If America stopped being united, it's citizens stopped bothering to learn the language English, and the American culture... Then how would you expect America to stay together? People are only united by similiar ideas, thoughts, and culture!

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another conservative false choice. As if they can’t be diverse and be the best athletes.

What is this obsession that guys like this have with diversity being threatening somehow?

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I’m sure we can snuggle you inside. ;)

20. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

They can be diverse and the best, but in this case, they aren't...

Diversity in America is the same as saying we need less white people in America, correct me if I'm wrong...

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

No. It doesn’t mean less white people. It means more opportunity for non-white people.

22. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Can you point to a single current member of the US Olympic team who took the place of a more deserving white or straight person?

23. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

24. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Because they have standards.... again?