Fox News you say? Another new low?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chilipie, Apr 16, 2010.

1. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Video evidence.

I really don't understand how O'Reilly can be so angry about something he is completely wrong about, and I suspect Senator Coburn would not have got off so lightly if he had been a Democrat. I think a lot of conclusions about the standard of Fox News' "research" can be drawn from the video.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If you don't buy the insurance, you are required to pay a fine, right? That's what I've read. Refusal to pay would be a federal criminal charge; probably a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Now tell me: Have you ever heard of any case at all where somebody who refused to pay a fine did not eventually wind up in jail?

How or why would it be treated differently than a refusal to pay one's income tax? Refuse to pay? Off to the pokey. Misdemeanor level, one year. Felony? How sad, too bad.

Since the acting agent is the IRS, and the IRS is known to attach property during a disagreement about fines and penalties and such, the net effect might as well be jail. Bank account frozen, stock brokerage account frozen, sale of real assets frozen. Enjoy.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Govt is allways coming at you, its why the authors of the Constitution worked so hard to try prevent it because sooner or later Govt will make you guilty of something. And now we have big business and govt in bed with each other coming after our hard earned $ and telling us how we will spend it. Govt is about control power and $$$ and it gets this Control Power and $$$ by taking it away from the little guy until one day we wake up and find out Liberty Freedom and Justice are only buzz words in history books.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure. His name is Don Blankenship.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Jaywalk, get a ticket, refuse to sign the ticket, get arrested. Don't turn up to court, have a warrant issued, etc. Therefore we live in a dictatorial police state where jaywalking results in a jail sentence.

Protesting the law by refusing to follow it is only a good idea if you're looking to be a martyr, and then that's on your own head.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well said and a good point, but I think the comparison falls short in that it is not per se "protesting" or "martyrdom" to choose to not buy something.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you don't consider a boycott to be a form of protest? :confused:

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The law is unconstitutional anyways, maybe we need a few martyrs.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you voluteering? Or are you "too weak"?

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Where did Gelfin, me or anyone in this thread mention "boycott" (besides you, of course), or are you simply trying to redefine the conversation with an unrelated, rhetorical question? :confused:

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You willing to volunteer? Or would you rather others martyr themselves instead?

And can you provide a link to PROOF that the HIR law is unconstitutional? Of course you can't, because it's all opinion at this point, since no judge has yet ruled on it.

Of course, the majority of legal scholars say the law passes constitutional muster. So we'll see how frivolous these lawsuits are soon.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im moving to Canada (not due to this presidency), I personally wouldn't pay a 1600 dollar fine though for not participating in a corrupt corporate bought system.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll just put that in the "too weak" column.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't really care what a judge rules on it, its unconstitutional to its very core. The constitution has been warped beyond belief to allow the federal government control over just about every facet of our lives. That was not intended by the fore fathers, these decisions should be left up to the states.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're saying that you, as a computer tech guy, understand the constitution better than someone who has devoted their life to it's study?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Many of these folks haven't devoted their entire life to studying the constitution, and in fact they are placed into position by presidents who think they can get favorable ruling through the perversion of the constitution. This goes both ways.

Also you forgot that I am an artist also, and I stayed at a holiday express last night.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn in the Civil War thread said that one won't happen because Americans are too weak to lay their lives on the line for what they believe in.

In this thread we find out that ZA's not even willing to risk $1,600.

He is... the weakest link.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I said they are too weak to kill other Americans in a slaughterfest. Its not going to happen. Killing each other over health care sounds pretty stupid no?

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You still haven't articulated why it's unconstitutional. Besides, if you rule it unconstitutional, you have to abolish medicare and medicaid on the same grounds. (it's all essentially taxes).

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Most judges have a legal education background. And, as I noted previously, the vast majority of legal scholars disagree with your assertion. These are people who have most assuredly spend a significant chunk of their lives devoted to studying the constitution.

You're just a guy who stayed at a HIE last night.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Genius, I said you aren't even willing to take a stand over $1,600.

And you call others weak for not wanting to die for what they believe in?

What does that make you?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This law is unconstitutional because it forces us to pay a private corporation for a service, end of story, nothing in the constitution gives them the right to force me into the pocket of a private corporation. Medicare and Medicaid are government programs, entirely different ballgame, if you went with "socialized" health care this wouldn't be a problem, but the democrats are too weak.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I already said I would not pay a 1600 dollar fine. I have been planning to move to Canada long before this bill was even brought up, take a chill pill.

25. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If we did it in large enough numbers, it sounds like a great way to reduce costs. We just have to put the elderly and the chronically ill on the front lines.