FOX Poll on Where Trump Stands...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 23, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Honestly - he can think and tweet whatever he wants - but he's not doing as great as he thinks he is.

Yes this is only one poll.

DFUuH38VoAAhTwZ.jpg

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

If it does come to impeachment, I imagine die hard Trump supporters will still think he's doing a good job. :D

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well can we assume that 33% is his baseline. I thought I heard that his base is 33% of voters. Although I do know people who voted for him that would not give him 100% approval on each of those items.

4. sodapop1, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, I'll give my approval of Trump in terms of the economy, specifically the stock market, but he really hasn't done anything to deserve credit for that. I've been hesitant to go all in out of fear the stock market will collapse if he gets impeached. But I'm realizing even that won't bring down the stock market as long as Republicans retain control over the White House and Congress. The only thing I think Trump can do to cause the market to crash is if he does something crazy foreign policy wise like starting a war with North Korea.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Sometimes when I set my foot down my children disapprove of the job I am doing as a parent, but I know I am doing the right thing.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Crazy people also think they are doing the right thing.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not at all the same thing.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump's behavior does not really seem to have an organizing principle. So far, his doing the right thing has demonstrated randomness.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Just because some of even the majority of people don’t approve it doesn’t mean he isn’t doing a good job. The proof is in the pudding. We shall see how his policies hurt or help us in the future.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Yeah. OK. That's at least in the realm of valid.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't disagree with the concept there but Trump operates solely in the now and even his policy statements appear to have a herky-jerky aspect to them. When a pol switches up policy over short time frames, then it become hard to measure achievements. Which policy shall an achievement be compared to? He may not notice that opportunity for popullar confusion, but we do because we live with a sense of history that he does not seem to have. Approval ratings do reflect some assessment of track record, even if often influenced by most recently emphasized events.

Over time our considerations of the future with respect to a particular pol are also freighted by comparisons of past promises to accomplishments so far.

With Trump it's true that he's only been in office six months and so our "judgments" about the future based on past achievements may be premature. How much of that figures into approval ratings is hard to say. His supporters would rationally want to give him some slack. Detractors are more likely to be literal minded and so to home in on things he promised that have not happened quite as broadly as he said they would, or quite as quickly, either.

On balance looking at that particular poll with all the categories on a down trend, I'd say one of two things has been happening.

1. Trump is getting hammered by the press comparing promises to achievements (and being very literal minded about all of it). Or,

2. Trump is really messing up, and people are onto the fact he promised us the moon but then has been mooning us ever since he was sworn in.

12. HEK Suspended

HEK

So you are saying the Donald is the adult in the room......now that's hilarious.

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Well he acts like a child. Doesn’t mean he won’t benefit the country.

14. jeyf, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

jeyf macrumors 6502

the last republican president elect was unstable.
    resulted in lots of war & recession.
    he got re elected for a 2nd term too

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It means he's working from a deficit. He has to benefit the country more than he's damaged it.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

So when it's convenient Fox is reliable, but CNN is reliable all cases? :)

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah it's weird how we seem to have signed onto the "stick with the devil you know" on the domestic side, but abroad still embroil ourselves in regime change.

Guess it's a good thing we settled on happy medium of 2 terms. One seems too short to shove anything across the goal line now (judging from how a trifecta-winning GOP is doing right now) and three terms of any of these guys might collapse the Republic...

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

In what post did I say that?

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heh well maybe they are en route to that tag now, since Trump has let a hybrid fox into the pressbox. Scaramucci will likely move the needle on how CNN gets seen. It may undo Trump but will be interesting to watch.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The difference being that you are not up for reelection as a parent and your children don't get a vote.

Trump will have a hard time winning reelection if polling on how he is handling healthcare and Russia are still in the toilet.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm not aware of any evidence he is running for reelection (or will).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2017 ---
    I'm relieved people are balanced enough to consult different news sources to find this story. It's pretty rare quality, so it seems.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I guess we have to wait and compare the polls and the results of Trumps reelection.

I am hoping to see Part 2 of this video.

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Yes. These are mere political maneuvers because it benefits whoever runs as his replacement...likely Pence.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2017 ---
    See above. :confused::confused: