Foxconn Ramps Up Seasonal Hiring Spree Ahead of 2019 iPhones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're likely just six weeks away from Apple unveiling a trio of new iPhones, and on cue, the supply chain is preparing for the new devices.

As it has for the past several summers, Apple's primary manufacturer Foxconn is ramping up its seasonal hiring spree, according to the Economic Daily News. The report claims Foxconn is offering a one-time bonus of 4,500 Chinese yuan, or roughly $650, to employees who renew their contracts right now.

Foxconn needs as many hands on deck as possible at its factory in Shenzhen, China to assist with mass production of the upcoming iPhones, as Apple's first-week sales will likely be in the millions of units as usual.

Apple is widely expected to debut three new iPhones in September with the same 5.8-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.5-inch sizes as the 2018 lineup.

Article Link: Foxconn Ramps Up Seasonal Hiring Spree Ahead of 2019 iPhones

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Not everyone is in your situation.

If upgrading from an iPhone 6, 7, 8, or earlier, any of the new 2019 iPhones would be a significant upgrade.
if those users haven’t upgraded by now then why would they for 2019? They’re either content or not willing to pay double the price.
Even if they were interested they’d know to wait til 2020. Look for iPhone sales to take a dive this year.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
More child laborers?
[doublepost=1564418388][/doublepost]
Can’t wait the most boring trio of iPhones ever!!
Explain.
[doublepost=1564418423][/doublepost]

If upgrading from an iPhone 6, 7, 8, or earlier, any of the new 2019 iPhones would be a significant upgrade.
Yup. I think it'll be a great upgrade for those in need.

Reactions: The Barron

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016

If you are wise, you could buy last year’s XS model and save significant money. You are not gonna get 5G in this year’s model anyway.

Ramchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
India
I pity Foxconn staff for the management decision in overestimating things later start downsizing workforce....hope this has nothing to do with stock movement trigger

ondert

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2017
Italy
While the 5G is at the door and will be available with the 2020 iPhones, I wouldn't even upgrade from iPhone 6s/7/8. It is highly probable this year will be the most boring iPhone launch.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Can’t wait the most boring trio of iPhones ever!!
Well if you're looking for adventure, perhaps a Galaxy Fold or another spaghetti-against-the-wall item is out there for you.
[doublepost=1564425756][/doublepost]
if those users haven’t upgraded by now then why would they for 2019? They’re either content or not willing to pay double the price.
Even if they were interested they’d know to wait til 2020. Look for iPhone sales to take a dive this year.
Using this mentality, why don't people just buy new cars every year? Well, since they don't, it makes no sense for them to buy them unless square tires hit the mainstream. God knows there's really only ONE thing ever updated between generations after all.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Or this is when their phone dies, or they got fed up with their Android phone, or they're handing their existing phone off to a kid and getting a new one, or... thousands of other possibilities. It feels like your list of scenarios doesn't extend much beyond what applies to you, your friends/coworkers, or others that hang out on MacRumors. With millions of new phones selling every week, people are coming to that purchase from all sorts of situations.
Even if they were interested they’d know to wait til 2020.
This may come as a shock, but not everyone spends their time hanging out on Apple rumor sites. Not everyone can wait over a year, and not everyone cares to - say your phone breaks, would you wait over a year to replace it, and just go without a phone until then?
[doublepost=1564431727][/doublepost]
The day when people were standing outside the apple store for days waiting for the doors to be open are gone.
Part of the reason that has faded was Apple taking an interest in curbing the lines outside the stores (I recall a report of someone, perhaps Angela Ahrendts, feeling that wasn't a good look). A lot of the phones are sold online these days. If you look at "there used to be long lines the first day and now there aren't" and come away with "nobody buys iPhones any more", you're misreading the data.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

That’s true, but if you have an iPhone 7 or 8, even a 6 with a replaced battery, you could definitely wait for the redesigned 5G iPhone to come out in a year. It will definitely be worth it. Unless you really need a new phone because someone stole it or you damaged it.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
That’s true, but if you have an iPhone 7 or 8, even a 6 with a replaced battery, you could definitely wait for the redesigned 5G iPhone to come out in a year. It will definitely be worth it. Unless you really need a new phone because someone stole it or you damaged it.
Again, not everyone cares about the same things you do. The upgrades of the iPhone 11 will be significant over the older models for many people.

Reactions: Chris Lee and CarlJ

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Again, not everyone cares about the same things you do. The upgrades of the iPhone 11 will be significant over the older models for many people.
Fair enough. I have an iPhone X so waiting for next year’s redesigned iPhone 12 with 5G, ProMotion display, enhanced AR, and a 4th camera lens makes more sense.

Reactions: Chris Lee

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
That’s true, but if you have an iPhone 7 or 8, even a 6 with a replaced battery, you could definitely wait for the redesigned 5G iPhone to come out in a year.
Perhaps that works for you, that doesn't mean it works for everyone on the planet. I had an iPhone 6 with a replaced battery, just as you mentioned - and I replaced it at the beginning of 2019, because even after one battery replacement it was getting annoying sluggish. When I traded it in, it was down around 75% of original battery capacity (on the replacement battery). Sticking with it until a year and a few months from now (thus something like a year and eight months past when I traded it in) would have been miserable. I could not, as you suggest, "definitely wait for the redesigned 5G iPhone to come out in a year".