Foxconn's first shipment of iPhone X is so low that you might as well give up buying

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arcturuz, Oct 16, 2017.

1. arcturuz macrumors regular

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...nt-iphone-x-so-low-you-might-well-give-buying

As pre-orders of the iPhone X are set to commence next Friday, Foxconn has reportedly started shipping out the first batch of devices and the numbers are shockingly low.

According to China-based Xinhuanet.com, the first shipment of iPhone X from China consists of just 46,500 units. The iPhone X units are heading to the Netherlands and United Arab Emirates. While recent estimates suggest that production has increased from 100,000 to 400,000 units per week, Apple is unlikely to meet market demand at launch.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo estimated that strong demand for the iPhone X has already cannibalized the iPhone 8 pre-orders. If the production of iPhone X remains low, many consumers might not be able to get their hands on the device for a few months. This would be disastrous for Apple as iPhone sales contribute to the bulk of the company's revenues.

The production delays of the iPhone X is said to be caused by a pair of 3D sensor components, which are known internally as "Romeo" and "Juliet". Just a few days ago, Nikkei Asian Review claimed that manufacturing partners are still struggling to refine these 3D sensor components.

Source: xinhuanet via DigiTimes

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Ok, but only because some guy on the Internet said so.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Okay. We should give up buying. You go first.

This reply is intended as humor. Thank you.

4. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

It's always been Apple's sales tactic and people fall for it. It's gonna be the thing to get for Christmas. Similar to those toys that parents were killing each other for.

5. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

It's the very first batch. There are three weeks left. The biggest batches are to come.

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Yes, two and a half weeks until release and only those 46,000 units will be shipped before release day. Get a grip people. It’s the first of many Foxconn shipments.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    I love how these reports make statements that could identify every iPhone release ever.

“Apple is unlikely to meet market demand at launch.” - Duh.
    “Many customers might not be able to get their hands on the device for a few months” - Duh.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The information would be much more useful if it stated how many iPhone 8’s were sent in the very first shipment to the Netherlands and United Arab Emirates, so we could know if that number is small or large or average.

8. Low country macrumors 6502

I'm not buying the X, nor would I buy ANY first release of anything new anymore. Been burned too many times and at my age I'm trying hard to reduce headaches. I think the early adopters of the X are in for more than their fair share.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've neve had an issue with any non-S series iPhone. Lucky me.

Disclaimer: This reply is intended to be serious. Thank you.

10. MsRandall, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

MsRandall macrumors 65816

MsRandall

Ive bought the first batches every since I have been buying the iphone devices ----starting at the 4..... 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6 plus, 6s plus and then the UNICORN -7 plus in JET BLACK ---never had one defective, scratched, DOA, etc

I might be just lucky - if so I want that luck moved to a Lottery Scratcher for biiiigggg money

11. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

Dear Apple, Please send the first shipment of iPhone X phones to me, just charge it to my card on file.

The rest of you, if you want an X, you have to talk to me.

12. Nicholecata94 macrumors member

Well SOMEONE has to be successful in ordering and getting one. Why not anyone here?
    No one should just give up lol.
    I am a happy iPhone 8 plus Android convert so I will be waiting for next year's model. But I hope everyone gets what they want! :)

13. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

The USA market is going to get a large chunk.

14. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

welp that settles it. not buying the X. theres not enough. /s

15. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

How does this cannibalize when they are already selling 8 and 8+?

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

1st batches typically have more hardware defects. I would wait for 2nd batch for my gf.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I know the theory is with some Macrumors members, they like to wait a few months after the initial launch for a new product, to allow production to slow down where they receive a device that may not have issues that are being reported from others. But how that metric is measured is questionable outside a tech forum. I don't disagree with somebody that wants to wait, especially if they don't need the product right away versus wanting it.

18. Damon2 macrumors regular

Silly thread.

Clearly states that batch is heading to UAE and Netherlands.

Bigger batches will likely be heading to America etc, not saying it will be a massive batch but definitely will be bigger than that.

Pointless speculating now just wait until preorder and see what happens.

19. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

Turbo Man!

20. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Fake news.. They say production is at 100,000-400,000 unit per week and they have been at it for who knows how long.. There is a mountain of sea containers full of iPhone X waiting for shipping to all over the world.

21. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

An article right here on Mac.rumors says this is not so! Production is on target to meet demand. Here is the article: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

... from your iPhone 8 user or X hater. We can stop with these types of posts. We'll have our iPhone's on Nov 3rd if you preorder at midnight (which I'd assume anyone buying from this site would).

23. zhandri Suspended

GET OUT WITH YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE! WE NEED MORE NAGGING AND RANTING! ENJOY YOUR IPHONE X IN 2023!

/s

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That’s pretty much the basis of this site so yea there’s that.

25. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

:p:p ‘Where’s my iPhone X?’ threads not far. :rolleyes::rolleyes: