FoxNews polling - Quadaffi v. Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 31, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Nice Poll Fox! What country do you work for? I'm sorry, wrong question, what corporation do you work for???

2. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

In related news...

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So, you are posting the results/link of a poll that you believe is flawed?

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm merely pointing my weather vane in the direction the right-wing nut bags are blowing.

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

As opposed to when you ... do what?

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Point my weather vane at all the ways GWB destroyed my country and we democrats are trying to fix the damage he did?

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

What color are the walls where you are? Do they let you come and go as you please?

;)

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

My walls are blue... that's not a joke... they are blue... limited in size and shape by the "union." Grrrr....

That doesn't change the fact that GWB actively tried to destroy my America. What color are your walls?

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's a terrific poll. :rolleyes:

In a related survey, more Fox viewers think Gaddafi gets better sex from his harem of bodyguards than Obama does from Michelle.

Yup.

There's nothing like quality reporting.

And Fox News is nothing like quality reporting.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well to be fair Obama has reduced US involvement. The US started by being the largest player, with 75% of airstrikes by US planes, and US submarines/ships were firing the most missiles. However, the US then scaled back its involvement, pulling out front line attack aircraft. The US still plays a significant role of course, and has recently undertaken UAV strikes. But the overall trend has been the US distancing itself slightly.

On the other hand, the other key players have increased their involvement. Now most of the airstrikes are by French and British Aircraft. The UK recently announced is sending Apache gunships, and the French are sending some of their helicopters as well. The French have been surprisingly open about their special forces being in Libya, and the UK has recently been firing missiles from a submarine in the area. Italy was at first reluctant to take an active role (instead offering use of its bases, refuelling aircraft etc) but more recently has agreed to take more aggressive action.

I'm not saying what the US has done is wrong, what I am saying is I can see where this survey result comes from. Obama needs to make sure this looks like a real NATO coalition, not just a US fight with a token gesture by a few other countries. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place- dominate the situation and it may cause anger at another US war and damage US foreign relations, distance the US too much and it looks like it isn't really committed. Tough situation to be in!

In other news, is this poor quality, biased reporting by Fox really a surprise?!

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As fascinated as I am by conversations about wall colors...

The big takeaway from the poll is support for US's involvement in the Libya intervention is very soft and voters are uncomfortable with the mission, UN-involvement, and feel like the Obama administration has failed to clearly articulate why we're there.

The article runs with the Quadaffi number, but I think the real result is Americans want to leave Libya to its own devices—or at least let the UN deal with it—and they don't see the administration, battered by Congress, likely to keep engaging; Quadaffi just has to run out the clock.

Of course, I also think this proves how worthless American power really is. It's guided by a fickle public easily exhausted by complex matters of statecraft. For all our technology, guns, and planes, we will fail in Libya because we just cannot manage to stay engaged long enough for it to matter.
    We will fail Afghanistan and Iraq the same way, just as we failed the Iraqis and Bosnians under previous administrations.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The reporting is tenuous, but the poll looks pretty solid and Fox does—to its credit—provide the actual poll numbers.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This seems like a really stupid question because of course Qaddafi wants to stay in power and of course Obama wants him removed. Strange, though, because I have heard a lot of War Powers talk by Republicans and if Obama were to become more determined to remove Qaddafi would he have to violate the act? At what point does President Obama become more committed than Qaddafi? Nukes on Tripoli?

14. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

What about the poor quality, biased reporting of the Grauniad and BBC in the UK?

To the OP, perhaps they spelt Osama's name wrong again and this poll has nothing to do with Obama ;)

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

How is that relevant? It's not like I said "stupid Americans, the UK has great reporters, we are so awesome, whoop whoop". Every country has some good and some bad press agencies. Fox is pretty bad in terms of bias and idiocy, so I wasn't surprised at this.

16. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you read my post I clearly state the general trend is a reduction. For example withdrawing front line aircraft and stopping missiles. I even mention the drones in my post.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Congrats.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Faux News and it's minions are possibly the most dangerous organization that is permitted to exist in the U.S. and call itself a news channel. It's a testament to our concept of liberty and stupidity. Using Rand Paul's standard they should all be locked up. ;)