Fracking causes earthquake in England

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Oct 26, 2018.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-45976219

Well if that doesn't end the fracking in England then I don't know what will. Conclusive proof of man made actions directly impacting the environment and that proof means all fracking in the world should immediately cease, including in TX.

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

It's a good test. In Oklahoma (hopefully I'm remembering the right state) once fracking was introduced earthquakes shot up literally hundreds of times higher than normal. This being America....nothing was done.

Let's see how bought our friends across the pond are by petrodollars.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You would be correct. Northern OK is rife with fault lines and fracking does nothing to prevent them from going off.

BL.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I believe restrictions are already tighter (what chemicals can be used; how much pressure; what areas etc) but the government seems pretty committed to running this up as a replacement for dwindling north sea revenues; so I guess we'll just be told to be happy we can't light our tapwater on fire while they wait for something so big it can't be ignored to happen rather than being proactive about it...

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Shouldn't the title of the thread be 'Fracking causes earthquake in England again'? This is not the first time, but at least this was just a little tremor.

Personally, I am just waiting for the sinkholes to open up.

6. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

So an energy release about that of a stick of dynamite. I'm somewhat surprised that they set the threshold for a halt that low. I suppose it depends on how big the monitored area is, maybe it's pretty small. If not, a threshold that low might result in a lot of temporary halts for events that might have nothing to do with the fracking. The earth experiences millions of tremors of that magnitude per year.

7. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I'll leave the expertise of tremors to seiscmologists which rules us both out.

What you says about millions of tremors per year is irrelevant. What is most important is shouting "Shark!" at the beach and shouting "Earthquake!" in a fracking article is all lay people need to make an informed decision that Fracking = Earthquakes.

8. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

You don't have to be a seismologist to have a basic understanding of what magnitude readings mean. It's fairly easily to calculate (in ballpark terms) how much energy would have been released during an event of a given magnitude. And it isn't all that hard to understand that, at a certain magnitude threshold and based on a monitored area of a certain size or with certain levels of seismic activity, a fair number of such events would be expected even without taking into account some additional risk factor such as fracking activity.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Having been in a few actual earthquakes in my time I am going out on a limb here and saying that this really was not an earthquake, in any realistic sense of the word. A passing dump truck would likely register greater than that. Or a falling tree. I seriously doubt if anyone but the scientists with sensitive instruments even noticed it. This seems like a non-event.

10. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

A second earthquake at the fracking site .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-46003462
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2018 ---
    As I point out, neither of us are experts and no amount of googling will make us experts either.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

.8 just doesn't even register as an earthquake to those of us who've lived through real earthquakes. A train creates more of tremor passing by. Yeah, it sucks that the fracking is causing these extremely minor events. But, let's not get too overwrought over something this small. Lets us know when it gets to a point where it's actually noticeable.