Fragile Lightning Dock

justin17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Putting your phone in a 30 pin dock felt like the connector could easily snap off. Does anyone else think we will see a lot of these lightning docks breaking since the 8 pin connector is so much smaller?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I dont have the 5, but I was looking at my friends lightning cord the other day, and it seemed pretty solid.

I dont think you'll have to worry. But I do think that the 30 pin connector feels more solid plugged in.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Putting your phone in a 30 pin dock felt like the connector could easily snap off. Does anyone else think we will see a lot of these lightning docks breaking since the 8 pin connector is so much smaller?
I was just saying the same thing to my friend today.

He linked THIS to me.

I told him there's no way the iPhone 5 would work with something like that. The connector is so tiny.. I'd be afraid to support the phone's weight with it (although the phone is so light.)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I thought they were talking about one for Apple too :)

If they create a dock that has some type of support and guide (other than just the port). It should work fine, if you rest all of the weight just on that connector I feel it may possibly be fragile too.