France finally joining the First World

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Apr 7, 2013.

1. eric/, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

eric/ Guest

eric/

Finally, France is getting around to legalizing gay marriage:

Link

Hopefully here in about a week France can join the First World in legalizing gay marriage and gay adoption.

-edit-

By no means am I saying that France isn't a First World country or anything like that. I'm just commenting on France finally getting around to joining some parts of the US, Sweden, Netherlands, etc...

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Being the capital of love and romance, it seems weird that France is still so far behind there. Even weirder that the citizens are protesting against it, although I suppose French people protesting about ANYTHING isn't a stretch.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Yeah I was actually very surprised that France had not already legalized gay marriage.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Still surprised that America doesn't have it yet, either.

5. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

3 posts in and already somebody is comparing places to America. :rolleyes:

Let's focus on France and Europe. Some states in the US have already legalized it, and you can be gay in the US military.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Legalized? No.

The civil union doesn't even provide the same benefits as a legal marriage. They're not equal.

And even if they were equal, it would be separate. Separate but equal is unconstitutional.

So I wouldn't go as far to say that gay marriage is legalized.

7. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Hm. That's odd because http://www.freedomtomarry.org/states/ states that:

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think it's just because you confused one or two people by stating that the US partially isn't a first world country.

On Topic: I was surprised when I read about the large demonstrations against gay marriage in France, good to see that things are moving ahead.

9. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well the US is a first world country, France is too, but it's finally time that France joins the rest of us in legalizing gay marriage.

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

And the US is completely there yet...

11. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Never said we were, but we've made strides. More strides than France (until the 13th when they finally legalize it).

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You are absolutely right you have made more strides, mostly because you as a nation were more bigoted in your laws.

France

Since the Penal Code of 1791, France has not had laws punishing homosexual conduct per se between over-age consenting adults in private. However, other qualifications such as "offense to good mores" were occasionally retained in the 19th century (see Jean Jacques Régis de Cambacérès).

In 1960, a parliamentary amendment by Paul Mirguet added homosexuality to a list of "social scourges", along with alcoholism and prostitution. This prompted the government to increase the penalties for public display of a sex act when the act was homosexual. Transvestites or homosexuals caught cruising were also the target of police repression.

In 1981, the 1960 law making homosexuality an aggravating circumstance for public indecency was repealed. Then in 1982, under president François Mitterrand, the law from 1942 (Vichy France) making the age of consent for homosexual sex higher (18) than for heterosexual sex (15) was also repealed,[17] despite the vocal opposition of Jean Foyer in the National Assembly.[18]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-take-france-this-long-to-allow-gay-marriage/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_France

But lets look at the USA

Prior to 1962, sodomy was a felony in every state, punished by a lengthy term of imprisonment and/or hard labor. In that year, the Model Penal Code (MPC) — developed by the American Law Institute to promote uniformity among the states as they modernized their statutes — struck a compromise that removed consensual sodomy from its criminal code while making it a crime to solicit for sodomy. In 1962 Illinois adopted the recommendations of the Model Penal Code and thus became the first state to remove criminal penalties for consensual sodomy from its criminal code,[3] almost a decade before any other state.[citation needed] Over the years, many of the states that did not repeal their sodomy laws had enacted legislation reducing the penalty. At the time of the Lawrence decision in 2003, the penalty for violating a sodomy law varied very widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction among those states retaining their sodomy laws. The harshest penalties were in Idaho, where a person convicted of sodomy could earn a life sentence. Michigan followed, with a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment while repeat offenders got life. This was later invalidated in the case of Michigan Organization for Human Rights v. Kelly (1987).[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

There has been nationwide same sex civil unions in France since 1999.
    What options did gays in the US have in 1999?

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"France finally joining the first world" surely you jest,whilst I'm not uncritical of the French states heel dragging on LGBT rights it's a bit hypocritical for someone from the U.S. to criticise the French.Legalisation nationwide of homosexuality in the U.S. 2003,France since the revolution.

15. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

No I don't jest. And I don't understand why me being from the US makes me a hypocrite to criticize other countries. If I represented the US government, sure.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Feel free to criticise which ever country you like and I'll freely criticise hypocrisy,as the god botherers say "take the log out of your own eye and you'll see clearly to take the speck out of your brothers eye.

17. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well you won't be calling me a hypocrite, since I don't support gay marriage not being legal.

Though I do find it interesting the venom and spite people have the first moment somebody criticizes a country that isn't the US.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No I was pointing out "France finally joins the First World" is a bit crass since as far as I'm aware France was the first country to legalise homosexuality (Denmark may have beaten them I'm not sure).Now if you'd had a history of calling out U.S. on it's heel dragging over LBGT rights you might have a point but as it stands you don't.I have plenty of criticisms of France but as someone living in the Anglo-American sphere I'll mainly concentrate on those two countries before I move on to France.You'll note that on this board posters who criticise other countries have a hissy fit if someone points out the U.S. may be just as slow at "joining the First World".

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

It is hardly venom and spite to seem confused by a nonsensical comment.
    The US decriminalized homosexual behavior almost literally hundreds of years after France. 15% of Americans live in states where same sex marriage is legal. You don't seem to be one of them. Arguably those states are ahead of France by a nose in gay rights after hundreds of years being behind.

20. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well if you want to discuss me personally, I always advocate for legalization, in any thread where it's a topic. And legalizing homosexuality back whenever just really isn't relevant to the topic.

And if you want to talk anglosphere. Which countries have legalized gay marriage? UK? Australia? New Zealand? Canada?

----------

Nope. Not confused about anything no worries.

And the whole legalizing gayness just really isn't a talking point at all.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

As we've got into the silly statements of who is behind who, you were all behind us. So there :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_Netherlands

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I disagree it is relevant especially when you use the title "France finally joining the First World" as if it was somehow not as justified in calling it self "first world" (a term I find disagreeable for many reasons).
    Those countries with legal same sex marriage laws:
    Argentina,Belgium,Canada,Denmark,Iceland,Netherlands,Norway,Portugal,Spain,South Africa,Sweden.
    Proposed or pending in
    Andorra,Colombia,Finland,France,Germany,Ireland,Luxembourg,Nepal,New Zealand,Taiwan,U.K.,Uruguay.

Now which countries are missing from the list of "First World" countries?

23. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well I think you forgot to put the US under countries with same sex marriage laws. But otherwise I don't see NZ, or Australia, Japan, or Korea,

Well you can be a first world country and lag behind in some aspects, or be better than other countries in some aspects. Idk why people are getting their feathers so in a ruffle over it.

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Because France is perfect dammit. And if you don't agree their "workers" will protest you.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Cheese eating surrender monkeys A.