France warning of war with Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and I thought the French were so anti-war.....this BBC report can be found here;BBC

to what extent does the view of the new government in France reflect Europeans' views on the Iran situation?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then why don't we let the French and Germans fight it? If they're so gung-ho, let them do it themselves. We've over-extended ourselves and obviously have no resources. They want a war, go ahead and have one. But we can't do it.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Isn't France sitting on probably the world's largest Nuclear Weapon arsenal, bit embarrassing being nuked by a tin-pot country like Iran... could be the reason.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Damn you Lee, that's what I was going to say. ;)

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The only problem with that is that at some point the French will ask us to save them again.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm pretty sure the French public overwhelmingly disagrees with their foreign minister. I'm sure they would protest this until they die, unlike the complacent apathetic American people accepted George's misguided crusade.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I doubt they would be the ones asking us for help at this point. If this happens, it'll be the other way around. They are simply preparing for the worst, but as he said, negotiations are still what come first. France isn't even really threatened at this point, they're just worried that it could be a possibility.

The only reason I worry about Iran now, is that they feel threatened themselves, and comments such as these don't help. They know we don't have the resources to deal with them. Can't say the same for the rest of Europe, or the world. Hopefully, either way, they can do what we can't.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm more worried about the threat from China than I am from Iran. If China gets mad because we keep invading countries they get their oil from, they might be so inclined to attack us.

9. Queso macrumors G4

China don't need to attack you. Your oligarchy has given them all the leverage they need. Any time you look like doing something they don't like they just need to threaten dollar-dumping on the world currency markets and your economy is stuffed. Easy way for the US to be kept in line.

As for the French, this sounds like the new French government showing the world how different it is from its predecessor. France is pretty much acting alone here. There's no way Germany agrees with military action, only sanctions. The position of my own government could be the deciding factor. Under Blair, the warships would already have set sail (under command of the Pentagon of course :rolleyes:). Under Brown, I'm not too sure who's lead we're going to follow, but I suspect we're going to back the German position of sanctions.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Exactly right. Who needs warheads when you've got such economic nukes?

I hope it is just bluster and that sanity prevails. But after Zarkosy's US holiday I think he may have been infected with GWB's ardour for war.
    I can only imagine how GWB must be enjoying it… :(

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

apart of special forces and staff germany and france have still conscription forces thus their amount of forces they can/could send around the world is limited or politically so hard to justify that

the sending of 20 Tornado jets from to afghanistan last summer for recon missions nearly caused a coalition break up (the first out of the country combat worthy mission of the luftwaffe since .. well 1945) and months of discussion in the press

i can't imagine what sending non volunteer conscript ground forces would cause

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What, and France isn't worried about North Korea?

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

NK has a different agenda and actually USING any nukes they may or may not have doesn't further it.

14. Queso macrumors G4

No country with nukes has plans to actually use them. They bolster your negotiating position and strengthen your security, but the moment more than one country had them their use became a no-go. An Iran with nukes would have to fall into line with that policy or be destroyed, and their government knows this, for all their bluster.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The real danger of an Iran armed with nuclear weapons is not so much if or how they'd use them, but with whom they would share the technology and materials, and how their neighbors would react.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Kinda like how we asked them to save us during the American Revolution? :rolleyes:

Americans are always spouting off anti-French crap, yet if it wasn't for them, we'd be drinking tea and driving on the wrong side of the road :p

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Many people believe that Iran is unique in its desire to actually use them on Israel regardless of the consequences.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course they do. How else can they convince us to start yet another war that we won't win?

19. Queso macrumors G4

"Many people" are often completely wrong. The worst we'll see from a nuclear-armed Iran is more backing of conventional terrorism. The Iranian Government will not sacrifice itself and the entire Iranian population to score a few points. However, having nukes does stop Israel or the USA from being able to act against their other plants and facilities.

I'm still of the opinion that merely possessing nuclear weapons brings with it a realisation of the responsibility ownership means. You may make yourself safe from conventional attack, but you instantly become a target for the nukes of others.

Be realistic. A nuclear sub-continent didn't immediately erupt into war, nor did a nuclear Korea. This will be the same.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Exactly...Iran's possession of nuclear weapons is a big proliferation threat.

I also can't believe that the neighboring Arab states are any more comfortable with Iran possessing nukes than they were with Israel's acquisition of nuclear weapons.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Don't worry. Other people are lining up to "start" up on Iran. We don't have to.

22. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

If Israel feels threatened, the THEY should be the ones to use THEIR resources and man power to attack Iran. I'd bet money that "those people", here in the US, that want to go after Iran don't/won't have their children in harm's way (or maybe I missed something, and Bush's and Cheney's family members recently joined the armed forces).

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They will and as their allies we will assist them with whatever it takes whether intelligence or actual military hardware and personnel.

As for your assertion that foreign policy should be decided only by people that have children at risk, I'd be much more willing to entertain that idea if social policy here in the states was decided only by the people that paid the bills. Are we going to recuse everyone from making decisions unless they are personally affected now?

24. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hahaha...people that paid the bills???...I guess we'll have to spend more of their money to develop a time machine so someone can go into the future and ask them exact how they want us to spend their money.

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

and there's that lovely "metric" system...