Frankenfive - black body - white lcd

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnnyiphone5, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

Hey guys,

One of my buddy's broke the LCD on his black iPhone 5 so we traded LCDs until the price of a replacement comes down (250 for a 199 phone is a tough pill to swallow)

I will post pics of the opposite tomorrow.

[​IMG]

----------

[​IMG]

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

3. Radiating macrumors 65816

I think the other one will look really slick, been thinking of doing this.

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I wish more people would understand that these phones do NOT cost $200 / $300 / $400 retail. I hate having to explain why I paid more for my iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile. (Granted I only paid $600 for my 32gb from a friend.. but STILL.. everyone just thinks I got ripped off.)

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That just looks awkward. The reverse will be nice though.

6. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Definitely looking forward to people swapping the white glass with black. It'd be nice if one also added black skins to the white back plates.. should look amazing.

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

That seems to be the problem nowadays. People do not know the true cost of things.

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

erm seems to me by these posts people understand the difference between value and cost ;)

9. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Why is it hard to understand that it doesn't matter what retail is. What matters is what the person paid for it. He paid 199 for the phone. That's what it cost him. That's all that matters.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh but they do cost $200/$300/$400 with a new contract... but yes the VALUE is worth more.

11. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Although the phone looks kinda cool, why didn't your friend just go to an Apple Store to get the whole phone replaced? I think it costs $229 plus taxes in the US. For all you know, maybe you would have gotten it replaced for free! :eek:

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

like I said.. the above posters are getting cost and value confused :p

13. grenhall macrumors regular

Thanks for the warning. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

14. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I think the reverse would be better. I love the back of the white, and the front of the black.

15. Johnnyiphone5 thread starter macrumors member

I know everyone sees value differently, so no biggie.

We work in EMS and my buddy basically chose to sell his damaged i5 (still around $600) and use that money to buy another one on a family plan line that is coming up for eligibility.

Here's some of the black. It's clear that this combo is why the iPhones have always looked so elegant. I think the black on black was simply to make the product easier to distinguish.

Bummer. I like it like this and I hate tinypic. Wtf with the upside down pics?

[​IMG]

16. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Ahh yes, I see the issue, I initially wanted to do this also but I guess having a white front with black frame looks a bit awkward and having a black front with raw aluminum front looks a lot like the iPhone 4 at first glance. I still like it.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't particularly care for the white face on the black body.

18. Johnnyiphone5 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry. He was wheeling a patient out of our ambulance and hit his thigh pretty hard against the gurney while the phone was in his pocket for those asking how he broke it. Not a scratch on the phone.

19. cuti macrumors member

Will it screw up the light, and camera sensors when you switch black and white ? as I remember Apple said It took them a while to produce the White IP4 because they need to modify the front sensor for the White version

20. Johnnyiphone5 thread starter macrumors member

What's funny is that the white 5 looks just like the white 4. Apple just couldn't leave well enough alone I guess. Although the slate is nice, the scuffing issue (refuse to call it scuffgate) really makes me wonder about the decision making process.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

22. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Looks awesome. This is basically how my white 4S looks. I have a matte black antenna protector around the stainless steel band. Looks like a reversed oreo.

23. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

24. isoft7 macrumors 6502a