Freakin' Kids (sick days & social media)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Two of our younger employees called out sick today and then posted pictures on FB, showing them having a good time today. Jesus Christ kids. We all take a mental health day every now and then but we don't post it. Can't some people do anything without social media, especially when their jobs are on the line??

2. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Ha!
    Isn't that some ****? Aren't you doing just that by posting this nonsense?

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not at all. What's nonsense about it?

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I honestly don't. But I'll entertain the idea of one every now and then.

But yeah posting it is pretty stupid.

Hopefully you aren't the boss.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's pink slip time.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No. No. Not if Mac'nCheese isn't the boss.

This is one where you just roll your eyes and complain about it to your wife.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I disagree.

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The problem is they let people get away with murder here. I don't know if they are afraid of wrongful termination lawsuits or what. They don't even go to the person who is screwing up unless it happens over and over. They usually do the email to the entire department thing. Please only call in a sick day when u are actually sick.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Rat them out? For taking a day off?

Das cold dude.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes. That's lame. My company has a tendency to turn a blind eye to sloth and incompetence and just let the hard working people pick up the slack.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I would've snitched them out to ensure they were fired. Enabling this behavior does them no favors.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If you call in sick when you are not sick you are lying and should be fired. When I call in I say "I'm not coming in today". If I'm sick I say "I'm sick".

There's no accountability anymore. It's BS.

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Our business (tv) is 24/7 and a lot of these freakin' kids think that they deserve weekends off, day shifts and holidays off right away. And they also won't get off my lawn!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    That's the saddest part. Some of our managers are Facebook friends with these idiots! Do management knows and the employees know they know!!!

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

In a world without consequences it doesn't matter if they know or not.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The way I figure it, people who make those choices reap their own punishment sooner or later.

But I have to work with these people day in and out, so I'd rather get along. I'll easily overlook antics like that rather than foster negative feelings. Camaraderie and trust are a beautiful thing in the workplace. Additionally, hiring and training new people is a major pain.

So for me it's an easy choice to let a few things slide in order to maintain a happy workplace.

16. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

then that is why they did it, they knew there would be no consequences. rules without enforcement are merely suggestions. I also wouldn't follow rules I wasn't expected to.

17. 1458279 Suspended

The correct thing to do is to see if they understand that it was wrong. When confronted, do they defend or admit. If they defend, they have justified their behavior they won't change their behavior. If they admit that it was wrong, ask them what should be done. Probably a deduction of that amount of pay and plus something like a loss of a day off.

The issue is do they justify what they've done.

Youth is for learning the rules, do them a favor, help them to learn the rules.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why are the haters so quick to want to fire people for stupid little ****? I'm sorry, you'll never have a reality show where you can fire people before a small TV audience.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Whats a mental health day?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's when Americans take a day off (often claiming to be sick) because the soul crushing nature of corporate America requires escapism every now and again.

Most countries require a certain amount paid time off because they understand that a healthy work/life balance is essential to productivity. America, well you get people lying to get away now and again.

I don't care when people take time off, but to not have the ability to realize you shouldn't be posting it online is something I've seen even in my own friends and it's incredibly dumb.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

Any day when I don't post on PRSI.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I say yes, generally, on letting it slide if somebody occasionally takes a mental health day. I'd rather that than see them mess something up or become completely inappropriate in behavior on the job. But posting on social media about it? Impressively stupid. I had no idea someone could be employable and yet be so dimwitted.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What is your company's paid time off policy? Do they separate our sick days from vacation days, or is it all the same PTO days?

The way I see it, paid time off is paid time off, whether you are sick or just want a day off. The dick move is perhaps not giving the supervisor a heads up about it. Either way, if the PTO has been earned, why on earth would their jobs be on the line for using it?

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo, very well said and fair point.

Interesting thread, by the way.

25. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

A couple of years ago, a couple of teachers got fired for all calling in a sick day and then facebookinh their trip to Great Advenure.

--- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    We get 8 sick days which, in the employee handbook, is only for days in which you are sick or you need to take care of a sick child/spouse. Vacation days are different. If you don't take your sick days, you don't get paid for them like some companies do. The major dick move here is one of these geniuses called in sick on a scheduled over time day. Which means we were already short and her manager had to wind up covering for her