Fred Phelps and daughter banned from entering UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by arkitect, Feb 19, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well whaddayaknow?
    Jacqui does something right… :)

I didn't realise these c**ts now want to spread their hatred beyond the borders of the US. In fact I didn't even think they had passports. Scum.

BBC link

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It's about time she did something worthy of praise. Well done, Jacqui.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Terrible news. Now who am I going to throw my steel-capped boots at?

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, the pernicious parasite that is Jacq(boot) Smith has never, and will never, do anything right.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Too bad we can't ban them from entering the US, forcing them to live in the Atlantic Ocean

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As much as I despise these people, they have a right to speak. It works both ways, you know. As an artist, I've been astonished at the censorship I've run into abroad. If I were ever to leave the US, freedom of speech is what I would miss most. This is probably the most valuable right we have in the US. Do not underestimate it's worth.

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Well said. The tacit truth is that it's tough to tolerate intolerance.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As reprehensible as these people are, not allowing them into the country to speak is a slippery slope. Who else will they ban from entering the country?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It is- but I want the same right to speak they have. If I want it, there are certain things I have to put up with.

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Anybody intent on inciting hate, like the guy that made Fitna. Freedom of speech only goes so far.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We have different ideas of what "freedom of speech" entails.

That said, Britain is free to do what it likes, but I'm free to disagree as well.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

What do you mean by 'we'?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obviously, you and I. ;)

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

I didn't know if you meant our respective countries and laws surrounding free speech.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, that too. A film I was in was banned in the UK after one screeing there. I was shocked. When I was at the Berlin International Film Fest for another film, we talked to several distributors who told us they loved the movie, but doubted they could get it past the censorship laws in certain countries, like France and the UK. It was a cold slap. Very much not something I'm used to.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

"US church which has called for homosexuals to be killed"

Does that cross the line of free speech? But I'm not sure if they actually call for the murder of homosexuals or not.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Here it doesn't. But in many other places it might. You can find that statement all over the web for certain wacky churches. They haven't been shut down or anything.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Censorship of films is an entirely different thing than free speech, though. Even by international law and human rights standards.

Strange though, it seems that only a handful of films were ever banned in the UK - all 20 years old or much more and since allowed to be released - bar one or two. Interestingly enough, less than in the US. Unless that information is wrong, of course. Although, I did check with the BBFC site and there seems to be very few.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know how it works. Perhaps they don't always list them. I know ours was not permitted to be shown after the one screening. And I fail to see how anything in that movie violated human rights. Like I said, I can only speak from my own experience.

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

'm not sure if I should ask, but what movie was it?

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A small handful of those banned in the US were banned for copyright or other legal reasons, not censorship though.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I PM'd you. Let's keep this family friendly. ;)

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As Lee stated, they have a right to speak. Rewarding them with attention by banning or otherwise restricting them will only serve to embolden them.

24. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

They do. They just don't have the right to hate speech. That's why they are banned from Canada and the UK.

Saying whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want isn't a right that you get anywhere. Not in America, not in Europe and not in any country.

Just because these extremist bigots exist (albeit whilst being monitored by the Anti-Defamation league and classed as a hate group by the SPLC) in your country, it doesn't mean what they do or say is in the realms of 'free speech' as described by the human rights laws or conventions.

Jacqui Smith, a person whom I'm no fan of, is within her rights to stop the incitement of hatred and even violence.

25. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Their disgraceful picketing of funerals is something that should be stopped surely? A family's right to bury their dead in peace beats someone's right to free speech in my book.

The right of a group of people to be protected from violence by banning someone from inciting that violence also trumps free speech too.