Fred Phelps of hate group Westboro Baptist Church: "On the edge of death"

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
According to his son, Fred Phelps is dying.

Do we forgive him, forget he ever existed, or say good riddance?

Link

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I hope he finds through death the wisdom and compassion that he couldn't find through life.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I hope he finds through death the wisdom and compassion that he couldn't find through life.
I am both impressed with, and respect, your compassionate and humane sentiments.

If I am to be totally honest, I wish him a slow, lingering, painful death as retribution for the pain that he has caused others.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I am going to be honest.

I hope his death is slow, lingering, painful and did I mention slow and painful? If there is a hell, it'll be great to know he is burning in it.

I hope someone pickets his funeral, or worse.

Good riddance.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I'm very, very happy for him. Soon he will join his "god" in "heaven", which is pretty much the best thing that can happen if you go by what those people say, so - yep, good for him.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Wouldn't it be ironic if people were to protest his funeral, saying that it happened because "God loves gays/lesbians"?

Or am I just being cynical?

;)

BL.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I wonder if Fred was ex-communicated for some sort of tax or legal reasons in preparation for his death.

Eventually I hope that this church fizzles out although there will always be "excuses" for hate. That said I don't think his death will affect the church one way or another.

I'll take his death as a sign that God loves the gays.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I wonder if Fred was ex-communicated for some sort of tax or legal reasons in preparation for his death.
Could be, Church's in America are huge for profit tax free havens.

Eventually I hope that this church fizzles out although there will always be "excuses" for hate. That said I don't think his death will affect the church one way or another.
Honestly, I hope someone either bombs their " compound " or the funeral. And kills all of those useless human beings, they deserve to be killed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
FYI, this particular son is estranged from Fred, excommunicated from the church, and an LGBT rights activist. So laughing in his face might seem a bit pointless.
Then he of all people would understand. ;)

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Honestly, I hope someone either bombs their " compound " or the funeral. And kills all of those useless human beings, they deserve to be killed.
I can understand and appreciate your visceral response, but history has shown that violence and retribution are always contra-indicated. What did Timothy McVeigh accomplish? Or James Earl Ray? Fanya Kaplin? Marcus Brutus?

No, I think we need to just let Westboro quietly fade into anononymity, in a few years, they will not even merit 50 bytes on Wikipedia.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I hope no Christian cemetery will have him.

How's that? ;)
Well but I suppose the truly Christian thing to do would be to permit his burial in a Christian cemetery. The problem for the cemetery's management could be that people who hated how he behaved might act out and be as hateful as he was, for instance by desescrating the gravesite or holding noisy protests, thereby disturbing other visitors to the cemetery.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Hopefully, his family will have the good sense to bury him in an unmarked grave. Wrapped in linen, lying on his side, facing east would be best.