Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I'd like to dump MS Office. The only thing I really use it for is Word. Is there a free alternative for this to use with High Sierra? And is MS Office the only place to get PowerPoint? Thanks

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'd like to dump MS Office. The only thing I really use it for is Word. Is there a free alternative for this to use with High Sierra? And is MS Office the only place to get PowerPoint? Thanks

Keynote is free on the Mac and can do PowerPoint. As for the rest, aside from the other Apple apps such as Pages and Sheets, there's also Libre Office...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The Apple apps in iWork all do the trick really well. Both for presentations with Keynote (the star of the show - much better than PowerPoint), Pages (similar to Word but with a page-layout origin, rather than a word processing origin. These days it does both, though most people think word is more feature rich, though for my use Pages works better), and Numbers which is similar to Excel. All come free with newer Macs and iOS devices.

There's also Libre Office which is most Linux users' preferred choice, and it runs on any OS. There's also AbiWord if you need something lighter. It is such a lightweight piece of software it could run on a potato. And there's of course Open Office too.

Depending on what you use the word processor for, there are many other alternatives too, but those are the most feature rich, big names.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
The Apple apps in iWork all do the trick really well. Both for presentations with Keynote (the star of the show - much better than PowerPoint), Pages (similar to Word but with a page-layout origin, rather than a word processing origin. These days it does both, though most people think word is more feature rich, though for my use Pages works better), and Numbers which is similar to Excel. All come free with newer Macs and iOS devices.

There's also Libre Office which is most Linux users' preferred choice, and it runs on any OS. There's also AbiWord if you need something lighter. It is such a lightweight piece of software it could run on a potato. And there's of course Open Office too.

Depending on what you use the word processor for, there are many other alternatives too, but those are the most feature rich, big names.
Thanks. Can any of these word programs be saved as pdf, txt, etc? I need word for cover letters, resumes, college papers, that sort of stuff.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Pages will produce very compatible Word (docx) files.
However, I recommend you view the finalized file using the online (cloud) Word app in OneDrive to ensure formatting is as intended.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thanks. Can any of these word programs be saved as pdf, txt, etc? I need word for cover letters, resumes, college papers, that sort of stuff.
I would say that iWork (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) can do those things provided that you will only be sharing the results in .PDF format. However, college papers may be a problem depending upon the formatting that the instructor requires for papers in that course.

LibreOffice will easily handle all of those things and I agree with those who recommended it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Pages will produce very compatible Word (docx) files.
However, I recommend you view the finalized file using the online (cloud) Word app in OneDrive to ensure formatting is as intended.

This seems like the best solution. Although I'm 100% macOS, I need to use Word/PPT/Excel for work via O365. For personal use, I typically used Office 2011 for Mac, but it's time to move on. I think I will try to make the leap to Pages/Numbers/Sheets. I already created an Office.com account, so I can see "real" Word/PPT/Excel in a browser to look for formatting issues.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This seems like the best solution. Although I'm 100% macOS, I need to use Word/PPT/Excel for work via O365. For personal use, I typically used Office 2011 for Mac, but it's time to move on. I think I will try to make the leap to Pages/Numbers/Sheets. I already created an Office.com account, so I can see "real" Word/PPT/Excel in a browser to look for formatting issues.
The limitation of using the web version of Office is that formatting can be affected by the use of non-standard fonts. By non-standard, I'm not referring to some wild Star Trek font or symbol/dingbat font, but more mainstream fonts. It's not always an issue, since font-substitution for display works well most of the time... but not all the time. Something to keep in mind.

I'm a big fan of iWork, it is my go-to productivity suite. If the task can't be accomplished in that, only then will I go to something else.

I'm also fan of the web version of MS Office. I find it to be highly functional and is far superior to the iOS and Android versions. I can be more productive using web Office on a chromebook than using the Android or iOS versions of MS Office.

mikeka

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
Check out Open Office. We've been using it for years without a problem. Saves as and opens MS docs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.