free app thyat batch convert .tiffs to 600 x 600 or smaller square images to .jpg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Is there a free app that can do this with alot of .tiff files? I have scanned quite a few cd album art covers but want to convert them to an optimal square size for my ipod & other mp3 players? what size would be best?

I would also like to be able to batch convert for websites, & add watermarks if needed as well.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Gimp is free, but from what I Googled, the batch convert is done through command line instructions.

You could browse through the Automator actions to see if there's a step in there that lets you convert image sizes, as well.

As for watermarks, in Gimp you could add a layer on top of the image for transparent text or whatever you wanted as your watermark and then export it as a image file.

3. duky macrumors 6502

Automater will certainly batch convert your image files and it's very intuitive

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Automator will do it, but it's slow if you have to do it a lot.

If you're comfortable working in the Terminal command line, check out Image Magick. Every conversion option known to man:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php

5. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Here's a quick AppleScript to do it. Just save it as an application in the AppleScript Editor (/Utilities/AppleScript Editor) and drop any TIFF onto it. I tried it out myself, so it should work.

Code:
    on open droppedImages
    	tell application "Finder"
    		repeat with eachImage in droppedImages
    			set imageName to name of eachImage
    			if name extension of eachImage is "tiff" then

tell application "Image Events"
    					launch
    					set openedImage to open (eachImage as text)
    					scale openedImage to size 600
    					save openedImage in (path to desktop folder as text) as JPEG with compression level high
    					-- insert actions here
    					close openedImage
    				end tell

end if
    		end repeat
    	end tell
    end open

6. bluskale macrumors regular

There's a great little application I found years back... called ThumbsUp. It should do all that you're asking (except for the watermarking), very quickly, without any programing applescript or automator.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11898/thumbsup