free image editors that are like the full version of photoshop other than gimp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

are there any other free image editors out there like the full photoshop, but not gimp, I have been having problems installing gimp.

I would like to experiment with digital sketching, & import scanned images from my scanner & crop etc.

2. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

can it be downloaded & opened from apps like most other programs? or is it only opened through the internet?

3. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

looks like it's just a web app. I don't use it but found it today while on my own search

4. john1620b macrumors member

You're not going to find free software that is the equivalent of $700 commercial software. Preview (included with every Mac) can import from scanners and crop, as well as make some annotations on top of images. For everything else, the best free image editor out there currently is Acorn (Free). There are a few limitations from the paid version, but it's still better than all the other open source and freeware image editing applications out there.

5. calb macrumors 6502

I know you're wanting a free option, but the truth is that there isn't any free software available which can feature-match Photoshop, and The GIMP's extensive feature-set comes as a result of years of voluntary work.

I suggest you try out Pixelmator for free, then pay the $59 if it meets your needs.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Try Seashore. It's Gimp like, but a littler more refined. I doubt it's as good as Photoshop; like one other said, can't really compare opensource vs Shrink Wrapped, $700 software...

It's free, so its really only your time.

7. Middling macrumors regular

You could try SeaShore. It's sort of a cocoa-ised version of GIMP. Get the 0.5.1 version though, rather than the ancient 0.1.9 version.

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I second Pixelmator. I got it as part of a MacHeist bundle, and it's excellent.

9. Scrimpy macrumors newbie

Scrimpy

If you're adventurous, try PixelNhance — still works great after all these years. Features include real-time adjustments for brightness, levels, color, saturation, tones, sharpness and noise.