Free iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by futureslay, Dec 26, 2011.

1. futureslay, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

futureslay macrumors newbie

Went onto the US store to be confronted with this:

[​IMG]

Not on the UK store, however?
    Come on, Apple.. Sort it out.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

That's the 3gs that's free on 2 year contract

3. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

After taxes that's $100 bucks a month x24 = $2,400 us dollars to use a 3gs for 2 years.
    U might at well spend an extra 200 and use a 4s = $2,600 us dollars for 2 years.
    (that's less than $2 a week more to use a 4s for 2 yrs instead a 3gs)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What? $100 a month for one line? HOW? We pay $105 with unlimited data, unlimited family texting, and an add-a-line dumb phone after taxes...

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I pay $150 per month and that's for THREE iPhones. $100 per month is off for a single phone, unless you need a huge number of minutes or tethering. Regardless, you have to pay a monthly fee no matter what. If you don't want to pay a couple hundred out of pocket at the beginning of your contract, go with the 3GS for free.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

More like $39 (voice) + $25 (2GB data) = $64 a month x 24 months = $1,536.00 in payments, assuming no FAN or corporate discounts are applied. You could also be very stingy on the data and knock $240 off that amount.

However, it would cost the same amount for any other smartphone. If a smartphone is something you plan on using anyway, then this should already be a factored-in cost.

This calculation is also completely ignorant of the fact that, believe or not, running a wireless network does in fact cost a certain amount of money. So, some of that cost does not actually go into the phone purchase.

It depends on your mindset. $1,500 is a lot of money up front for some people, but isn't nearly so much to those same people if amortized over 2 years. And for some, $200 extra up front is a significant barrier to entry. This is why the iPhone 3GS is still selling like hotcakes.

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

On a 3GS with a 24 month contract...

I don't see why you're getting mad, I mean we can get the 4S free here on a 24 month contract for a lot cheaper anyway... :confused:

8. futureslay thread starter macrumors newbie

O. I wasn't aware that they offered contracts online through their store. As in the UK, they don't that I'm aware of and only offer it sim free.
    That's what I was getting confused about, I just assumed that it was a glitch in their system.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Notice they said "after taxes" which, for me, would bring your $64 total up to about $85.... which is close to the $91 I've been paying for a single line.