Free iPhone 5 deal (Best Buy)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swankie24, Jun 21, 2013.

1. swankie24 macrumors newbie

2. iono11200 macrumors member

Check out some of the resellers on this site. www.sellcell.com.

They are offering some pretty decent prices if you don't care to bother with ebay.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

We just traded in my wife's Verizon iPhone 4 for a new 5. It was easy. What is nice about this program is the cosmetic stuff does not matter. If the display is not shattered and it powers on you are good to go.

4. flcruzr macrumors newbie

I traded my ip4 at bestbuy and it was very simple. Just hand over your phone, they inspect it, pick out your color preference, and they take care of looking up your eligibility and new contract. The whole process took about 15 mins. I highly recommend the trade in, that's if you don't mind skipping the upcoming new iphone.

5. Webecinya macrumors newbie

I am debating doing this upgrade at BB for my wife's phone and mine as well. We both have the iphone 4 and would like a faster model. Anyone see any reason not to do this besides the 5s being around the corner? I looked on craigslist and iphone 4 seems to be going for around $150 anyway...less hassle to do it at BB is my thought...

6. chuffman15 macrumors regular

i went to bestbuy lastweek to upgrade my iphone 4s to the iphone 5, and they offered me 190$ for my iPhone 4s. i didnt take the deal, i just paid for the new phone. went home and put it up the 4s on craiglist for 250$. it took all of 30 minutes to find a buyer. it almost paid for the iphone 5 (taxes and otter box case). you'll love the new iphone 5 is alot faster than the 4s. id say go for it if you dont want to deal with listing it and meeting strange people in well populated areas. i know the deal is only for the 16gb iphone 5. in my case it wouldnt have worked i need the 32gb. good luck

7. Antivirus macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the $150 credit is only for this deal?

I want to trade in my 16gb Iphone 4 and if I got $150 credit could I pay the difference ($100) and get a 32GB Iphone 5.

If the credit is only for getting a 16GB Iphone 5 with this deal though I will have to pass.

8. RoboWarriorSr, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Do they still waive termination fees if you were upgrading from a previous iPhone? I know before they did that as my mom previously upgraded from a 3GS to a 4 without playing termination fees. They just allowed her to sign a new contract.

9. STITCHES macrumors member

Yes, you can. I did this exact thing. Although they charge tax on the full $249 so it came out to about $120.

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Do they still waive termination fees if you were upgrading from a previous iPhone? I know before they did that as my mom previously upgraded from a 3GS to a 4 without playing termination fees. They just allowed her to sign a new contract.

11. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You only get a ETF when you drop the line from a family plan while it's still in contract, port the number for the line under contract to a different provider, or cancel your at&t account while still in contract.

When you upgrade, you're signing a new contract for two years from the date you upgrade, so basically resetting the two years.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Wait that means I can get a new iPhone 5 for $0 if I upgrade the iPhone 4S I got a year ago if I sign a new two year contract? If that is the case, I definitely will look in to it.

13. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If your line is eligible for an upgrade, then you will pay $0 with BestBuy's trade in program.

14. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

But it isn't. Is it possible for them to let me upgrade without paying any extra fees?

15. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Okay I guess I must have been confused in my earlier response.

I don't think that's possible. But if you have a family plan, you could add on an extra line and get the phone for $0 and then switch the phone to your line and remove the data plan off the new line. The cost of the new line for the duration of 2 years will be less than purchasing an iPhone 5 at full price at least. (Assuming you're not on shared data)

I know at&t does early upgrades for $200 off the full price? But I'm not sure about what Best Buy could do for you.

16. RoboWarriorSr, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Okay well not too sure if my dad will allow me to open another line just to get a new phone. Thanks for the info. I'll still and try to see if Best Buy will allow me to upgrade.

17. Sparticu$ macrumors member

If you are eligible for an upgrade its great. You get a $150 dollar gift card for trading in your iPhone 4/4s which means you only pay tax for the iPhone 5 16GB model.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

It's really a horrible deal. If you sold your phone on Craigslist or eBay you'd make like $50

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Does best buy charge the 36$ activation fee by AT&T up front too?

20. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I'm pretty sure those are just added onto your monthly bill.