Free LC III's (again)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
A couple of years ago I posted that I have 4 mac LC III's collecting dust that I'd like give to someone rather than trashing them. ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=33949 )

Due to shifting job situations and the general crazyness of raising a then 2 year old, I never followed through with getting shipping info fo those of you who querried about them.

If anyone is interested in these, please email me at lciii@ericsmalling.com and we can arrange shipping/pickup time. (I'm in Euless, TX)

-Eric

PS: See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=33949 for info on them.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
What he said, but my zip is 43402. Any left? Can I get dibs on one? Can possibly pay tonight.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Shipping info

Single Mac in a box is about 10.5 lbs.

UPS Ground would be:
78213: $8.99
43402: $18.03
14052: $22.86

If you want more than one, I probably could put 2 machines per box - which would be about 21 lbs each.

My zip is 76040 so, if you want, you can figure shipping costs by any method you prefer. If you do tell me to use a different shipper/method, please make it one of the following: USPS, UPS, FedEx or DHL.

PS: They may or may not have an OS installed. I will do as much as power them up to make sure that the 1st responders get the "best" ones.

I'll post more info about their spec's tomorrow.

As it stands, it looks like (as long as each of you only wants one), we have the following standings based on the time stamps of your posts and/or emails to me:

1. homerjward
2. kalisphoenix
3. skoker

I'll take payment for the shipping via PayPal ONLY if it's not a credit card payment (since it'll end up costing me money) unless you pay enough to offset that. Cashier's Check or Money Order also would be accepted.

I'll get those spec's for you all before I actually confirm any of your "orders". :)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
A little more info

Like I said, I'll post spec's tomorrow when I have time to boot 'em up.

But just for sake of full disclosure, these are bare units no keyboard or mouse.

I probably will throw in power cables (I have enough of them) and I probably can throw in a PDS Ethernet card with each too. (Thin/coax ethernet)

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Sounds wonderful!

Edit: Um, I have a CD copy of System 7.5, but not floppies... and no SCSI external CD-ROM. Anyone have any ideas on this? Alternately, I'm willing to trade an honest-to-God System 7.5 CD (NOT a burned copy) for some 7.5 floppies. Or something along those lines, if these machines are OSless.

Too bad these don't run A/UX :cool:

Hmm... maybe that'll be my next deal, since I have a computer running OPENSTEP native...

Looks like lots of 4x32MB 72-pin SIMMS are going for $15 or so. Can I get three people to buy one SIMM each from me at cost, assuming these machines aren't maxed out? Sounds @#$%ing excellent, to me...

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Spec's

Okay, here's the details on the four machines

• 8MB RAM, 80MB HD, System 7.5plus a bunch of school apps that came with it when I bought it a few years ago. Pictures: case, inside
  • 8MB RAM, 160MB HD, System 7.5 (I wrote 7.5.5 on my notes - I think I may actually be 7.5.2) Pictures: case, inside
  • 8 MB RAM, 160MB HD, Sys 7.5.3 installed Pictures: case, inside
  • Probably the best of the bunch, has the following: Math Co-Processor, 8 MB RAM, 100 MB HD (may be 120), ethernet card, System 7.5.3 installed case, inside

I was able to (successfully) boot all four machines to their desktops and open a folder or two so I think I may have replaced the one that had a bum hard drive. (or maybe I just am imagining that one was bad)

I have one Mac floppy disk that was able to be read by machine "a", but putting it in all 3 of the others they all said "this disk needs to be formatted" so I'm guessing the floppy drives all work, but the one in machine "a" probably is a bit out of alignment and is the one I probably made that disk with 3 years ago or something. (or b,c and d all or out of alignment - but I doubt it)

So, with all that being said, please post, in order, which one each of you wants and, if you want more than one, how many you want. I'll assign them according to my prior list, then I'll private message each "winner" with PayPal instructions or snail-mail address for a cashier's check/money order)

-Eric

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
eric_n_dfw said:
Okay, here's the details on the four machines

• 8MB RAM, 80MB HD, System 7.5plus a bunch of school apps that came with it when I bought it a few years ago. Pictures: case, inside
  • 8MB RAM, 160MB HD, System 7.5 (I wrote 7.5.5 on my notes - I think I may actually be 7.5.2) Pictures: case, inside
  • 8 MB RAM, 160MB HD, Sys 7.5.3 installed Pictures: case, inside
  • Probably the best of the bunch, has the following: Math Co-Processor, 8 MB RAM, 100 MB HD (may be 120), ethernet card, System 7.5.3 installed case, inside

I was able to (successfully) boot all four machines to their desktops and open a folder or two so I think I may have replaced the one that had a bum hard drive. (or maybe I just am imagining that one was bad)

I have one Mac floppy disk that was able to be read by machine "a", but putting it in all 3 of the others they all said "this disk needs to be formatted" so I'm guessing the floppy drives all work, but the one in machine "a" probably is a bit out of alignment and is the one I probably made that disk with 3 years ago or something. (or b,c and d all or out of alignment - but I doubt it)

So, with all that being said, please post, in order, which one each of you wants and, if you want more than one, how many you want. I'll assign them according to my prior list, then I'll private message each "winner" with PayPal instructions or snail-mail address for a cashier's check/money order)

-Eric
Sadly, I can no longer take one of these anymore. Back up for grabs!

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Keyboard, Mouse and 2 Monitors

I've decided that if I'm going to get rid of these that I might as well also part with my last two Apple monitors and an ADB keyboard and mouse.
  • I've got a 12" Apple Color monitor that is made to sit on the LC case - it's base is perfectly shaped to the width and contour of the LC. I'd like to sell this for about $10 plus shipping (I'd ship it in the same box as an LC if you were to get both), it's case is a little yellowed from age, but it still looks good and the picture is fine.
  • I also have a 13" Apple Color monitor, no case yellowing on this one. It's a standard monitor, nothing much to say about it. It also seems to work fine. Asking $10 obo.
  • Lastly, I have an ADB keyboard (the small kind with the single Apple key on it) as well as an ADB mouse. $5 for the pair.
Picture of the 12" monitor with KB and Mouse: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericsmalling/40657052/in/set-892783/

Picture of the 13" monitor: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericsmalling/40657412/in/dateposted/

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
kalisphoenix said:
Sounds wonderful!

Edit: Um, I have a CD copy of System 7.5, but not floppies... and no SCSI external CD-ROM. Anyone have any ideas on this? Alternately, I'm willing to trade an honest-to-God System 7.5 CD (NOT a burned copy) for some 7.5 floppies. Or something along those lines, if these machines are OSless.
If you have a Mac on the internet that has a floppy drive, you can download the network installer for 7.5 (7.5.3 actually, I think) from Apple's legacy download section, make that boot floppy and then mount your CD from any Mac with a CD drive. The LC will be able to boot from that foppy and install over the network from that shared CD. (or so I've read)

You can also download floppy images for 7.5.x from Apple too.

I don't have the links for those handy, but you can find them pretty easily. I'd check www.lowendmac.com first.

hepcat57

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
I'm definitely interested in getting one of these since skoker is no longer able to. That is, if any are still available. :eek: Zip is 20147...let me know.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Since 7.5 is on 'em already, I'm not going to worry about it.

:eek: The one with ethernet! The one with ethernet!

Homerjward has dibs, though :(

My order of preference goes D, C, B, A. I don't think I care about the math co-processor so much as the ethernet. Lynx forever!

:p Sonnet has a card that gives it a 68040 66/33MHz CPU, 32MB more RAM, and ethernet for $99 :p Heh... I know I could get a decent computer for that cost, but I'm still tempted for some reason... "My LC III can beat up your LC III."

These have HD-15 out? If anyone wants, I'll send them HD-15 -> VGA adaptors free.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
kalisphoenix said:
Since 7.5 is on 'em already, I'm not going to worry about it.

:eek: The one with ethernet! The one with ethernet!

Homerjward has dibs, though :(

My order of preference goes D, C, B, A. I don't think I care about the math co-processor so much as the ethernet. Lynx forever!

:p Sonnet has a card that gives it a 68040 66/33MHz CPU, 32MB more RAM, and ethernet for $99 :p Heh... I know I could get a decent computer for that cost, but I'm still tempted for some reason... "My LC III can beat up your LC III."

These have HD-15 out? If anyone wants, I'll send them HD-15 -> VGA adaptors free.
I'll be including PDS ethernet cards with all of them. (Not sure of their condition, may need drivers)

and yes, they have HD-15 out.

Check out http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_lc/stats/mac_lc_iii.html for full details.

Still waiting to hear from homerjward on how many & which one(s) they want...

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
If any of these are still available, I will take one. If you have a monitor and an Ethernet card installed as well that would be even better. I would also like a keyboard and mouse, if you don't mind. ($10+$10+$5+shipping to 54449)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
eric_n_dfw said:
I'll be including NuBus ethernet cards with all of them. (Not sure of their condition, may need drivers)
LCIIIs don't have NuBus expansion slots. They use PDS (Processor Direct Slot). Hopefully this is what you meant.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
oingoboingo said:
LCIIIs don't have NuBus expansion slots. They use PDS (Processor Direct Slot). Hopefully this is what you meant.
Oops - yes.

Maybe I should have just said "the kind that fit in the LC" :)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
im_to_hyper said:
If any of these are still available, I will take one. If you have a monitor and an Ethernet card installed as well that would be even better. I would also like a keyboard and mouse, if you don't mind. ($10+$10+$5+shipping to 54449)
I'll have to weigh all of that tonight when I get home to get you a shipping quote.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Monitor, KB Mouse weight

Sorry - busy busy busy!

I put the 12" monitor (the one that matches the LC case), keyboard and mouse on a scale and it registered about 29 lbs.

Add 10.5 for the LC III and a few lbs for the box and packing material and you're probably looking at 40-45 lbs.

I leave it up to you guys/gals to determine shipping costs from 76040 (use the calculator at ups.com, usps.gov and/or fedex.com)

I'd guess the box would be about 24" x 18" x 18".

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
status

I just PM'ed homerjward to see if they are still interested. If I don't hear from them here today, I'll move kalisphoenix up to the front of the line.

(I'll PM paypal info to you at that time)