Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I received the activation code for my free .Mac account today which I gained for completing the Apple Learn & Earn course on the topic.

YAY

Edit: Time to install Virex... not because I think I should but because I can.... for free
:)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
uuummm... I can not really post a link. If you are an Apple staff member, distributor or, as we call them in Australia, Solutions Reseller (just someone who owns an Apple retail store) you can sign up for Apple's Learn and Earn.

Learn and Earn is just a site where they give you courses and you have to do exams on what you have learned. You gain points for the exams and, apart from being ranked, you also can win prizes.

If you are registered with Learn and Earn and score more than 80% on the .Mac course, Apple will give you one free year of .Mac.

What I thought was a bit dodgy, though, was that if you had already paid for .Mac before they released this promotion you can not get a refund or extension... you just suck ****.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Interestingly, unlike all other software, Virex is downloaded from the Apple site not from your iDisk

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Interestingly, unlike all other software, Virex is downloaded from the Apple site not from your iDisk

its probably a lot easier to administer everyones iDisk that way, instead of having 2 groups..

man.. have fun with .Mac.. tehehe..

-f

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Boy finding that website was difficult.:rolleyes:

Went there typed in my normal Apple Login Id and it took me directly to the registration page with all my name and stuff all ready filled in but it also asks you what you do for Apple I backed out then.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Boy finding that website was difficult.:rolleyes:

Went there typed in my normal Apple Login Id and it took me directly to the registration page with all my name and stuff all ready filled in but it also asks you what you do for Apple I backed out then.

Yeah, they do do basic checking up on your before you are authorised.... takes about 4 days

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
ya i got mine. i was just saying it took a long time. i remember originally it was supposed to be no more than 10 days after you passed the little test.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I tell you what, Virex 7.1 is a piece of ****. Looks like the makers are designing it again from the ground up in Cocoa and they are still no where near to the level 6.1 is at. You even have to manually download the virus definition updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.