Free Speech at Colleges.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

As this article shows, there is a lack of free speech at our colleges. In the case of the video that it refers to, I have to put the blame on the Berkeley collage administrators since they should be able to identify the individuals preventing free speech and put a stop to it.

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Free speech is for all. One needn't have to agree with a candidate 100% to uphold America's values. Amendment 001 speaks for itself in this regard.

Also, the Berlin Wall worked for a while... but different circumstances needed it to go down.

Ditto for the Great Wall of China, though they didn't choose to take theirs down.

It's all symbolic, anyway.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The problem with Colleges is that they were meant to be a place where ideals were to be exchanged in the classical definition of liberal, instead they were taken over by the neo definition of liberal and the free exchanged of thoughts/ideas/opinions are stymied unless you feel like failing classes.

5. citizenzen, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

The article shows one incident at one college.

Extrapolating that out to colleges in general is not supported by that article.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let's throw this in as the paradox.

Who said that the person preventing free speech isn't partaking in free speech of his own? After all, they are voicing their views on it, and that in itself is free speech.

So you can't have it both ways.

BL.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree with where you're going here. But one thing to throw in ... speakers in the college that I work at have to reserve their spot and speak at an appointed time and place. Rather than interrupt a speaker who went to the trouble of following those rules, any opposing viewpoint should likewise reserve their time to have their say.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And I can agree with that. And if the person preventing the Trump supporter is indeed partaking in free speech of his own, there is nothing that UC Berkeley can do about it, as it is a publicly funded college.

In other words, non-issue here; nothing to see, move along.

BL.

9. citizenzen, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed. To use another example, the KKK has the right to hold a rally, but so too the mob has a right to gather and shout them down. So long as no laws are broken regarding assault, there's nothing guaranteeing the Klan the right to be heard above those who oppose it.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

the reports are way over exaggerated. this rarely happens. only a vocal minority of people who complain about "safe spaces" are heard but its so ridiculous

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In my experience the poor and uneducated can also get pretty prickly about poor language choices.

That said I agree with the OP. College kids should be able to handle different opinions.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Frankly, I think a crowd pointing and laughing would be more effective.
    Ridicule can be stronger than opposition, because it shows both disdain and composure.

"The one thing the devil cannot stand is to be mocked."